Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence?

Default Maidir Le: Scottish Independence?

There's a whole load of fiction in that too...
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

The Timeline on this is going to be interesting. I note the Privy Council have to deliberate on it a bit- wouldn't I love to be a fly on the wall. Various lords-a-leaping up and down ... the Marquess of Salisbury must be a lovely shade of puce today.

There's a coterie of lords in the upper house who would cheerfully shoot David Cameron live on the six o'clock news if he loses Her Majesty the bit of Scotland at the bottom of Balmoral's lawn...

There must be some campaign being plotted by the House of Lords and the Privy Council on this one- there will be very little civility to be had along the way on this debate and referendum.

One for political mainliners ... won't have been so much blood and vomit since Richard Nixon last screwed on his trousers in the morning.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Default Re: Scottish Independence?

A successful referendum could open the way to a Council of the Isles, with Ireland either as one member (united) or 2 members (divided). I would like to see that, especially the former.

Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!

Default Re: Maidir Le: Scottish Independence?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    The Timeline on this is going to be interesting. I note the Privy Council have to deliberate on it a bit- wouldn't I love to be a fly on the wall. Various lords-a-leaping up and down ... the Marquess of Salisbury must be a lovely shade of puce today.

There's a coterie of lords in the upper house who would cheerfully shoot David Cameron live on the six o'clock news if he loses Her Majesty the bit of Scotland at the bottom of Balmoral's lawn...

There must be some campaign being plotted by the House of Lords and the Privy Council on this one- there will be very little civility to be had along the way on this debate and referendum.

One for political mainliners ... won't have been so much blood and vomit since Richard Nixon last screwed on his trousers in the morning.

Maybe the people of Scotland will have a look at how our experiment with independence has gone and mull it over with concentrated minds. One the one hand, should they choose independence, they start off with a completely separate judiciary and legal system (though it is so unusual and such a strange construct, it is questionable whether this is an actual advantage).

Whether, upon independence, they saddle themselves with the same sort of corrupt political class as we have is also debatable but there is enough Knoxist moral types who would kick against the more obvious cases of "stroke" politics as practiced in Ireland. If they do have corruption, it will be of a different sort.

I agree that the fight will be a dirty one and will contain more violence than an entire series of Taggart.

If anyone fancies buying a patch of land in Scotland (and a title!), pre independence, you can do it here. http://highlandtitles.com/

It's a great idea, and one that should be used to sell Coillte. Basically, Highland forests are sold to thousands of small buyers. This then protects them from the likes of Donald Trump, and development.

Buyers get a certificate of ownership and a Scottish title (Lord or Lady)
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

I think that is a great idea. At Chelsea FC the banks nearly got the stadium at one stage and after a rescue the pitch itself was sold off to thousands of fans who can now block any redevelopment they don't like

And they do.

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    If anyone fancies buying a patch of land in Scotland (and a title!), pre independence, you can do it here. http://highlandtitles.com/

It's a great idea, and one that should be used to sell Coillte. Basically, Highland forests are sold to thousands of small buyers. This then protects them from the likes of Donald Trump, and development.

Really? I want the title, "The Laird of Auchtermuchty" (It's in Fife)

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    Really? I want the title, "The Laird of Auchtermuchty" (It's in Fife)
    The title is associated with the land, and Fife ain't in the highlands.

It is genuine though. I bought the other half a patch of land (enough to pitch a tent on) and she is now a Lady. Lady XXXX XXXXX of Glencoe
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Lord Lieutenant of Ireland would suit me. Just for a few weeks. Then yiz can have it back.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Xmas presents with a difference... Thanks for the suggestion!

On the topic of the referendum Cameron is not happy about the Scottish wanting independence. Can they survive by themselves? They have huge revenues from oil in the North Sea, wonder is this what Cameron had in mind....loss of billions in oil revenue...
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Xmas presents with a difference... Thanks for the suggestion!

On the topic of the referendum Cameron is not happy about the Scottish wanting independence. Can they survive by themselves? They have huge revenues from oil in the North Sea, wonder is this what Cameron had in mind....loss of billions in oil revenue...
    The UK reserves of oil in the North Sea are declining rapidly. Norway´s will hold until 2050 and there are only 4 million Norwegians.

Scotland might be wise to look to Scandinavia in terms of business. The UK at senior level are actively 'risk assessing' exit from the EU.

Quite funny in a way that the bureaucrats of the Fourth Reich are saying that it is not possible for Scotland to leave the EU and they'd have to negotiate entry as a single entity when to the south there is a very real risk now of the UK leaving the EU (led by the City of London).

I think we might soon be adding to Catalunya, Venezia, Scotland the United Kingdom itself. The UK Home Office is preparing a list of some 132 derogations of powers back to the UK as a demand- if the EU don't agree then it is likely we will see a move towards the exit by the UK. Add to this the strains of Greece, Portugal and Spain and the fracture lines are getting bigger.

Default Re: Maidir Le: Scottish Independence?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post

Yes, when you look at some of the reaction by the likes of Mountbatten and various Old School intel cronies to the prospect of losing Ireland, you are right I think to feel that any kind of trick and conspiracy might be pulled.

In some ways of course the Irish territory is more important to them - Tory voting MPs and ports controlling a swathe of ocean.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

I wonder how long in advance of the refendum one would need to pretend to be living in Scotland to get a vote

I'd "move" back to get a vote in this

I wonder how long in advance of the refendum one would need to pretend to be living in Scotland to get a vote

I'd "move" back to get a vote in this
    You may not get it but your missus, Lady XXXX XXXXX of Glencoe, is probably entitled.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast