Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence?

Default Scottish Independence?

When will the Scots ever gain independence. Has the SNP minority government backed down completely on a independence referendum being put before the people or has support for Scottish independence declined in the economic recession.

Default Re: Scottish Independence?

They will get it when they run out of gas and oil

Living in Edinburgh at the moment and there is no real mention of independence. People are more concerned the immediate problems i.e. the economy

There was talk of a Republic of Scotland happening by 2007. Will it ever happen now?

Quote Originally Posted by Eirenua View Post
    They will get it when they run out of gas and oil
    Their 'share' of the revenue from said gas and oil will be progressively cut off in proportion to the dwindling reserves.
    "Do not be misled by the promises of politicians. Remember that the whole history of Ireland is a record of betrayals by politicians and statesmen, and remembering this, spurn their lying promises and stand up for a United Ireland - an Ireland broad based upon the union of Labour and Nationality." - James Connolly.

In the context of the EU, the notion of 'independence' looses some of its lustre, I would argue. For all of us still tangled up in the UK I think the great thing is to work hard to get power 'devolved' to us or 'ceded' to the EU itself, so that in the end the English have no power over us at all. It'll work differently in the various bits, but I reckon we should try to avoid a Quebec-type situation where we keep just-losing Independence votes: that is destructive.
    Gobeithiaw y ddaw ydd wyf.

Scotland has actually received new budget powers today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11863388

Barosso says Scots would no longer be in the EU after Independence

Scottish people could lose European Union citizenship if the region wins independence from the United Kingdom, European Commission President José Manuel Barroso has suggested.

Nationalists believe an independent Scotland would have no problem remaining in the European Union.

Barroso has said any country winning independence from a current EU member state would have to renegotiate its membership.

“In the hypothetical event of a secession of a part of an EU member state, the solution would have to be found and negotiated within the international legal order,” he said in recent remarks.
    http://www.euractiv.com/uk-europe/sc...ip-news-514720
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Thats no problem. That sounds like an opportunity for Scotland.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    Thats no problem. That sounds like an opportunity for Scotland.
    Agreed

I assume the Scots would rather elect the Leader of their country than have to obey an idiot like Barosso
    Last edited by DCon; 12-09-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Off to Scotland so.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    Off to Scotland so.
    Working on an oil rig for loadsa money....all them oil workers ....OK Off I go!...
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Cammie baby and Salmond are signing a deal on a Scottish independence referendum

David Cameron is to sign a historic deal with Alex Salmond to hold a legally watertight referendum on Scottish independence, signalling the start of a 100-week battle over the UK's constitutional future.

The prime minister will fly to Scotland on Monday to settle the terms of a Scotland-wide referendum, expected to be held in autumn 2014, by publishing a 35-clause long deal with the first minister that is already being dubbed the "Edinburgh agreement" by Salmond officials.

With disputes over legal limits to campaign spending still yet to be solved, Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland's deputy first minister, said on Sunday that the deal would allow all the key elements of the referendum to be "made in Scotland".

UK government sources said they were not prepared to allow Salmond to postpone the referendum if opinion polls suggested he would lose.

Under UK referendum legislation, which is policed by the Electoral Commission, Holyrood will be allowed to extend the vote to 16 and 17-year-olds for the first time in a major vote. The Scottish parliament has already allowed them to vote in health board and crofting elections.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...?newsfeed=true

Default Maidir Le: Scottish Independence?

The dirty tricks brigade will be ramping up in Westminster. If I were Salmond I wouldn't be left alone with a maid at his hotel anytime soon.

They'll try everything to destroy this referendum opportunity in Scotland. It could be legendarily filthy between now and 2014 in Westminster/Holyrood politics.

This is going to make Braveheart look like the Croke Park Agreement.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!

Default Re: Maidir Le: Scottish Independence?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    The dirty tricks brigade will be ramping up in Westminster. If I were Salmond I wouldn't be left alone with a maid at his hotel anytime soon.

They'll try everything to destroy this referendum opportunity in Scotland. It could be legendarily filthy between now and 2014 in Westminster/Holyrood politics.

This is going to make Braveheart look like the Croke Park Agreement.
    I haven't seen the Croke Park Agreement. Is Gibson in it? Who plays Biffo?

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast