Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luke "Ming" Flangan: Politics Begins Dole Éireann

Thumbs up Luke "Ming" Flangan: Politics Begins Dole Éireann

Watched this short documentary for the first time recently and it's very intersting. Luke "Ming" Flanagan threw himself into politics for the 1997 General Election in the Galway West constituency after becoming frustrated at shouting at the telly the whole time.
    Although he was not successful it's obvious that this first fist at getting politicaly involved gave him huge confidence to go on and get to where he is today.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7ImFojSSI4"]YouTube - Dole Éireann part 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiZbQSjY3-8&feature=related"]YouTube - Dole Éireann part 2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLHjRg0sbQk&feature=related"]YouTube - Dole Éireann part 3[/ame]

Interesting Frank Fahey's view on no-nonsense justice

Default Re: Luke "Ming" Flangan: Politics Begins Dole Éireann

I've a lot of time for Luke Flanagan, I'd love if he ran in Galway West in the next election, but it seems likely he'll run in Longford-Roscommon.
    He also played a part with other independents in costing a Fianna Fáiler Greg Kelly his seat in the 2002 general election when it seemed that Fianna Fáil would take three seats in a four seat constituency.

I would like to see him elected, he would be an asset to Ireland in Dáil Éireann.

I hope you've seen this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADUUDjbqu3M&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADUUDjbqu3M&feature=related[/ame]

I haven't Munnkeyman but I look forward to watching it!

He's a smart guy and gets his point across well....it's a tribute to the fella considering he got elected to Roscommon Council twice with huge votes in such a conservative part of Ireland. I'd say the FFers hate him which is brilliant and can only help to strengthen his position in the next election. Although Roscommon is joined with south Leitrim now as opposed to Longford. We could do with a few more Mings in other constitunencies...the Dáil certainly would be a better place then.

I also like Ming...says it as it is....free spirited and stays on his plan..

+10

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    I haven't Munnkeyman but I look forward to watching it!

He's a smart guy and gets his point across well....it's a tribute to the fella considering he got elected to Roscommon Council twice with huge votes in such a conservative part of Ireland. I'd say the FFers hate him which is brilliant and can only help to strengthen his position in the next election. Although Roscommon is joined with south Leitrim now as opposed to Longford. We could do with a few more Mings in other constitunencies...the Dáil certainly would be a better place then.
    Fraxinus that was well worth the watch, thanks for that!!
    The song at the end was priceless.

The Life and Crimes of Citizen Ming
    follows from around that period up to 2002 and is directed by the same person Mike Casey.

I'd like to see Ming in the Dail and I think he would be worthy of a seat. He has a lot of integrity and I understand he is well regarded locally.

If I remember correctly wasn't he the lad that stood up in a council meeting and said he'd leave the imprecations to god to someone else as he wasn't himself a believer?

Any man honest enough to do that in Irish politics is a man worth voting for in my opinion.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Yeah, he wouldn't 'lead the prayer' and the FFers went mental. Likewise with the flag last week. Comes across as one of the few decent politicians .

Imagine, campaigning on the internet and trying to promote Organic farming. It'll never catch on...

http://www.shannonside.ie/news-detai...on=newsdetails

Roscommon Mayor to take 50% paycut
    Dec 23 2010

The Mayor of Roscommon is to take a 50 per cent cut in his salary and expenses for the remainder of his term.

The move, which was agreed at yesterday’s budget meeting will also see a 50 per cent reduction in Councillor Luke Flanagan’s travel allowance and a 100 per cent cut in the money he receives for foreign travel and conferences.

The issue was the source of controversy after Independent Councillor Tom Crosby stated that because the cuts taken by the Mayor will only come into effect for the last six months of his term it does not represent an actual 50 per cent decrease.

Despite this Mayor Flanagan says actions speak louder than words.

Is he a left independent?

New sartorial lows(highs?) in the Dail yesterday. Meanwhile it appears he's in trouble because of haranguing Sean Barrett outside the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    New sartorial lows(highs?) in the Dail yesterday. Meanwhile it appears he's in trouble because of haranguing Sean Barrett outside the chamber.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Fair play to Luke on this one. He is treating the Dail with the contempt that is deserves. His wearing of that T Shirt signifies that he is in touch with the ordinary working class people of this country, the snot rags that occupy government at the moment are only interested in serving themselves, he is basically telling them "I am a member of the working class". Perhaps that seems an awfully idealistic way of looking at things but its the honest answer. All this bullshit of suits and ties does not sit easy with me. We all eat , crap and breathe the same ...
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

I think Ming is great, like Ronseal he does exactly as it says on the tin. Sure he's a little flakey, but he was elected as a left wing rural TD to fight on local issues. There's no personal greed involved and he's a liberal who votes that way and speaks out about liberal matters when given the chance .

Independent Roscommon-South Leitrim TD Luke “Ming” Flanagan rounded on Ms Mulherin for her remarks. He claimed that, in the past, Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil had a problem with extramarital sex.

“And now we hear a member of this Government has a problem with fornication,” Mr Flanagan added. “Where are we going?”

He said Ireland, which had been run by the two parties, had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the modern world.

“Heels were dragged on symphysiotomy and redress for more women, on women having to leave work on marriage, on contraception, divorce,” he added.

Addressing Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil TDs, he said it was quite clear that “Archbishop McQuaid’s crozier is firmly still around your necks”. He said there was some hope, given that Labour had been more positive.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...314970161.html

For a rural TD to speak out without fear of the electorate on such matters is brave and in marked contrast to the cute hoors who hide behind the party whip on such matters.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    It's near time someone harangued that right wing bigot. He is a most unsuitable person to be Ceann Comhairle.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast