• No, but don't feel too strongly either way

9 1.49%
  • Yes, if the money is used to upgrade and modernise the water system

35 5.79%
  • Yes, we should pay to protect the environment

12 1.98%
Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Water charges for what exactly? Irish Water - Costs and Charges

Default Re: Water charges for what exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Fing Fers View Post
    During the boom, any monkey with a spanner could tap into a water main and do what he / she likes with it. Now we have to pay for it.

Jobs will come up soon fitting water meters, the monkeys with spanners will be back working again. All the monkeys have to do is fork out just over a grand and pass the meter fitting course. All the qualified plumbers across Ireland who cant afford to take the course will miss out on the work, when really they should be called up first. But no not in Ireland.
    Meanwhile we'll be paying a fortune in redundancy to get rid of local authority staff who could have done the job to a professional standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    Meanwhile we'll be paying a fortune in redundancy to get rid of local authority staff who could have done the job to a professional standard.
    I was working on a job along the hill of Howth, lack of water pressure meant a leak on the road somewhere, what did the Co Co do? Hired an old man with a stick to find the leak, a dowsing stick. I took pictures on my phone but deleted them should have kept them, it was some sight. He never found the leak, sure he got paid well.

I wouldn't worry unduly, people. They're having trouble getting moolah together for large public works projects and the water charges have been long fingered until they can get meters into everyone's house. They reckon it'll take 'em 3 years.

We might be paying for the H20 by 2020 if we're unlucky ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by morticia View Post
    Or you live in a rural area.

Quote Originally Posted by morticia View Post
    I wouldn't worry unduly, people. They're having trouble getting moolah together for large public works projects and the water charges have been long fingered until they can get meters into everyone's house. They reckon it'll take 'em 3 years.

Some of us already pay for water- if you're a farmer you have to pay through the nose for it.
    Нооруз пиээ пурылыа выиттыа

'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class'
    Pat Rabitte, 1987

"Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"
    Michael Noonan, November 2010

Quote Originally Posted by eskerman View Post
    Silly question perhaps...

I have my own Water supply well that I maintain myself.. is there any chance that these pending water charges will be also applied to people who have their own wells..?

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to find some way to charge private wells..?

I would be in favour of paying for good quality water, and preferably soft water. Hard water is very demanding on plumbing equipment and salt treatment is an expensive process to maintain 24-7-365
    Isnt taking your water a bit like taking my pension contributions??

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    Isnt taking your water a bit like taking my pension contributions??
    Why dont they just put a tax on us for being alive and add an air tax for the sake of it, then we'll all know where we stand and go on living knowing their is nothing left to tax.

.... hard to know where to go...too young to retire...too old to emigrate...spent almost 40 years working and contributing money i already paid tax on and must pay again....about to try to put my child through colllege...not very good value for money for 80 combined years of hard work in our house

Default Maidir Le: Water charges for what exactly?

Announced today that metering is going to be rolled out across the country early next year.

The Minister said 'it was not merely a taxing measure' but a system that would protect a 'finite resource'.

The Minister also said metering meant that people would only pay for what they use.

He said the plan also provides employment opportunities and makes Ireland more attractive to foreign investors as water supply would be guaranteed.
    Heartwarming stuff. As we now have a definite timetable, I've added a poll to this thread.
    Нооруз пиээ пурылыа выиттыа

'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class'
    Pat Rabitte, 1987

"Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"
    Michael Noonan, November 2010

Announced today that metering is going to be rolled out across the country early next year.

The Minister said 'it was not merely a taxing measure' but a system that would protect a 'finite resource'.

The Minister also said metering meant that people would only pay for what they use.

He said the plan also provides employment opportunities and makes Ireland more attractive to foreign investors as water supply would be guaranteed.
    Heartwarming stuff. As we now have a definite timetable, I've added a poll to this thread.
    An island in the ocean that taxes water. Ive seen it all now. They must want bloodthirsty mobs the way they go on. Bloody millionaire politicians. Kennys on 7k a week. Bet whole dail is exempt!

Sent from my GT-I5500 using Tapatalk

The real danger is not the water charges - it's that "Irish Water" is a device to privatise the water supply.

No reason why water should not be paid for any more than electricity or phones.

People on low incomes should be given waivers or increased allowances so that they can afford to pay for water.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    This is a very good point.

I must say I have no absolute objection to paying for the water I use.

I have an objection to paying a private company though.

It's like I had no real objection to paying for my waste until a couple of months ago. The council then sold the waste collection route to Greyhound. The letter informed me that some council workers may be transferred to Greyhound. It did not mention whether their rights and entitlements would be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    The real danger is not the water charges - it's that "Irish Water" is a device to privatise the water supply.

No reason why water should not be paid for any more than electricity or phones.

People on low incomes should be given waivers or increased allowances so that they can afford to pay for water.
    I think theres a fineline as low/non existent purchasing duties and low utilities could end the nonsense on low wages and low wealth taxes, just like denmark in many cases. I repeat. Island, big ocean, loads of water.

Sent from my GT-I5500 using Tapatalk

Some use mains water and mains sewage services. But there are many people who only have the benefit of mains water and are obliged to use their own septic tank or biocycle and are caught for charges to maintain the latter themselves. I don't why they should be paying the same water charge as others who have the benefit of both services. They should receive an appropriate reduction in charge to reflect this. After all, some fellow with their own private well but using main sewage services won't be paying at all and still using public services.

Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast