View Poll Results: Will you pay water charges

Voters
605. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, and I'll campaign against them

    549 90.74%
  • No, but don't feel too strongly either way

    9 1.49%
  • Yes, if the money is used to upgrade and modernise the water system

    35 5.79%
  • Yes, we should pay to protect the environment

    12 1.98%
Page 2 of 104 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 1551

Thread: Water charges for what exactly? Irish Water - Costs and Charges

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Meath
    Posts
    221

    Default Re: Water charges for what exactly?

    Silly question perhaps...

    I have my own Water supply well that I maintain myself.. is there any chance that these pending water charges will be also applied to people who have their own wells..?

    I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to find some way to charge private wells..?

    I would be in favour of paying for good quality water, and preferably soft water. Hard water is very demanding on plumbing equipment and salt treatment is an expensive process to maintain 24-7-365

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Out of my mind
    Posts
    12,152

    Default Re: Water charges for what exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by eskerman View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to find some way to charge private wells..?
    I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to find some way to charge for the air that I breathe

    Quote Originally Posted by eskerman View Post
    I would be in favour of paying for good quality water
    You're paying for "good quality banks", silly.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    нурмы
    Posts
    5,006

    Default Re: Water charges for what exactly?

    The Constitution could be invoked to prevent them installing a meter on your property- Section 40.4.5 guarantees inviobility of property and prohibits state personnel from entering save in connection with criminal law.
    Нооруз пиээ пурылыа выиттыа


    'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class'
    Pat Rabitte, 1987

    "Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"
    Michael Noonan, November 2010

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,947

    Default Re: Water charges for what exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by antiestablishmentarian View Post
    The Constitution could be invoked to prevent them installing a meter on your property- Section 40.4.5 guarantees inviobility of property and prohibits state personnel from entering save in connection with criminal law.
    Interesting. A lot of state officials in fact do enter property.
    Postmen and women, for a start.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    нурмы
    Posts
    5,006

    Default Re: Water charges for what exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Interesting. A lot of state officials in fact do enter property.
    Postmen and women, for a start.
    They have an implied licence to go as far as the front or rear entrance of the house- to enter or proceed further, they need the permission of the owner.
    Нооруз пиээ пурылыа выиттыа


    'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class'
    Pat Rabitte, 1987

    "Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"
    Michael Noonan, November 2010

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,318

    Default Re: Water charges for what exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by antiestablishmentarian View Post
    The Constitution could be invoked to prevent them installing a meter on your property- Section 40.4.5 guarantees inviobility of property and prohibits state personnel from entering save in connection with criminal law.
    40.4.5 doesn't say criminal law - the exact wording is - "The dwelling of every citizen is inviolable and shall not be forcibly entered save in accordance with law."

    If it was necessary to fit the meters inside houses it would be a simple matter to make connection to the public water main conditional on having the meter installed and allowing access to have it read. That would mean that no one was entering your home forcibly as you don't have to be connected.

    The reality is though that they fit them outside the premises for practical purposes.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,318

    Default Re: Water charges for what exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by eskerman View Post
    Silly question perhaps...

    I have my own Water supply well that I maintain myself.. is there any chance that these pending water charges will be also applied to people who have their own wells..?

    I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to find some way to charge private wells..?

    I would be in favour of paying for good quality water, and preferably soft water. Hard water is very demanding on plumbing equipment and salt treatment is an expensive process to maintain 24-7-365
    If you're not connected to the public water main you wont be paying the water charge.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,318

    Default Re: Water charges for what exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Interesting. A lot of state officials in fact do enter property.
    Postmen and women, for a start.
    You can deny access to postal delivery staff.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    нурмы
    Posts
    5,006

    Default Re: Water charges for what exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    40.4.5 doesn't say criminal law - the exact wording is - "The dwelling of every citizen is inviolable and shall not be forcibly entered save in accordance with law."
    IN practice, forced entrance for criminal investigations only is how it has been interpreted by the courts. I need to find the relevant caselaw but I'm nearly one-hundred percent sure of this.
    Нооруз пиээ пурылыа выиттыа


    'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class'
    Pat Rabitte, 1987

    "Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"
    Michael Noonan, November 2010

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Meath
    Posts
    221

    Default Re: Water charges for what exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by antiestablishmentarian View Post
    The Constitution could be invoked to prevent them installing a meter on your property- Section 40.4.5 guarantees inviobility of property and prohibits state personnel from entering save in connection with criminal law.
    I think you will find the water meters are installed outside your property, connect where the branches are on the main line running down the street..

    Be prepared for lots of digging and badly finished workmanship, which is a real problem with a lot of public civil works... dare I mention potholes anybody..!

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,318

    Default Re: Water charges for what exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by antiestablishmentarian View Post
    IN practice, forced entrance for criminal investigations only is how it has been interpreted by the courts. I need to find the relevant caselaw but I'm nearly one-hundred percent sure of this.
    Bailiffs can enter in pursuance of civil debt.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,318

    Default Re: Water charges for what exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by eskerman View Post
    I think you will find the water meters are installed outside your property, connect where the branches are on the main line running down the street..

    Be prepared for lots of digging and badly finished workmanship, which is a real problem with a lot of public civil works... dare I mention potholes anybody..!
    In Portlaoise it was outsourced to a private firm. The quality of the workmanship on mine is brutal.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Meath
    Posts
    221

    Unhappy Re: Water charges for what exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    In Portlaoise it was outsourced to a private firm. The quality of the workmanship on mine is brutal.
    I blame the toss-pots (co called engineers) in county councils who oversee these types of public works contracts.. low quality works signed are off and paid... its amazing to see this type of carry on.

    Its an epidemic here in Ireland, many projects undertaken during the Celtic Tiger.. where very badly managed. No doubt there are a lot of envelopes changing hands also

    We all end up paying 3 times more for one job... disgusting stuff.

    I see it here in Enfield area... same gang of men doing public works, same potholes, same places, same pattern, going on for years... its a joke and a terrible waste of taxpayers money...jobs for the boys I guess

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Meath
    Posts
    221

    Default Re: Water charges for what exactly?

    A couple of years ago I challenged our local meath councillor (ex chair of Meath Co Co) about the new water meters that were installed in Enfield... simple questions.

    Me: What are these meters for ?
    Coco: For the new water supply we have recently commissioned
    Me: So you are basically charging us for a new pumping station, not better water.?
    Coco:No its a fully modernised water supply
    Me: No its not, its the same hard water
    Coco: Yes its is..
    Me: So we have soft water.. with lower lime content..?
    Coco:There is nothing wrong with hard water, I have been drinking it all my life
    Me: Why did you not give us a choice for softer water
    Coco; well now that would have been far to costly
    Me: why did you not let us (the locals) make that choice
    Coco: now you know that we do things for the common good around here
    Me: Your a waste of time and space... good luck Mr County Councillor

    Since that period the landlord in the office complex I am in has had to replace 8 undersink water heaters (less then 3 years old) at a cost of over €3500. and his tenants are paying for the water that feeds his building...he will have to replace these heaters on a regular bases unless he installs a water softener....big costs to fit with a split water supply from the meters outside.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    794

    Default Re: Water charges for what exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by eskerman View Post
    I blame the toss-pots (co called engineers) in county councils who oversee these types of public works contracts.. low quality works signed are off and paid... its amazing to see this type of carry on.

    Its an epidemic here in Ireland, many projects undertaken during the Celtic Tiger.. where very badly managed. No doubt there are a lot of envelopes changing hands also

    We all end up paying 3 times more for one job... disgusting stuff.

    I see it here in Enfield area... same gang of men doing public works, same potholes, same places, same pattern, going on for years... its a joke and a terrible waste of taxpayers money...jobs for the boys I guess
    During the boom, any monkey with a spanner could tap into a water main and do what he / she likes with it. Now we have to pay for it.

    Jobs will come up soon fitting water meters, the monkeys with spanners will be back working again. All the monkeys have to do is fork out just over a grand and pass the meter fitting course. All the qualified plumbers across Ireland who cant afford to take the course will miss out on the work, when really they should be called up first. But no not in Ireland.

Page 2 of 104 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us