Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 83

Thread: Leo Varadkar interview with IT: right wing policies from an ideological base and proud of it

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    545

    Default Re: Leo Varadkar interview with IT: right wing policies from an ideological base and proud of it

    Quote Originally Posted by Griska View Post
    This while capitalism is working a treat for us!
    treat for whom?

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,044

    Default Re: Leo Varadkar interview with IT: right wing policies from an ideological base and proud of it

    Quote Originally Posted by bormotello View Post
    You cannot combine two policies in country without stable source of income(industry or natural resources).
    If you want to have light touch regulation, then you need to save money gained from them in special stability fund, which will be used during crisis, but not waste on increasing PS payroll bill and welfare benefits.
    If you want to have excessive regulation, then you must be prepared for race to the bottom, when incompetent regulators will destroy any business initiative, incomes will fail and country become supplier of cheap workforce for foreign companies
    Are you speaking of regulation or the appearance of regulation? Because all we've had in Ireland is the latter.

    Unless regulation is enforced then you are going to end up with no regulation at all.

    its fairly significant that the Ahern governments deliberately set about hamstringing any regulatory body which could have challenged the thievery they then embarked upon.

    Ahern is being driven around in a state expensed mercedes and the man who has done more to damage the country since the British went on holiday to Portugal recently.

    Regulation that isn't applied is just a passport to criminal embezzlement and thats exactly what has put Ireland in the state it is in today. All audited and signed off by the likes of Ernst and Young.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,044

    Default Re: Leo Varadkar interview with IT: right wing policies from an ideological base and proud of it

    Absolutely no point in whinging about the level of benefits and PS wage bill. Neither of those things have resulted in a loss of sovereignty.

    What has Ireland at the point it is today is people like Sean Fitzpatrick, Bertie Ahern and the Oireachtas who facilitated the regulation free environment which allowed them all to fill their pockets in conjunction with auctioneers and bent lawyers.

    By far the biggest socialist giveaway was the third of Ireland's GDP given to private companies called Anglo-Irish Bank, AIB and Bank of Ireland.

    It would take some increase in benefits to match that giveaway.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    545

    Default Re: Leo Varadkar interview with IT: right wing policies from an ideological base and proud of it

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    Absolutely no point in whinging about the level of benefits and PS wage bill. Neither of those things have resulted in a loss of sovereignty.
    We lost sovereignty only because nobody was brave enough to say that country cannot afford sp generous welfare benefits with golden plated PS salaries and accept that only choice for country to default.
    Then all savings would be burned, but private debt of banks never would become state debt.
    And few tough years country would be able to grow again

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,044

    Default Re: Leo Varadkar interview with IT: right wing policies from an ideological base and proud of it

    Quote Originally Posted by bormotello View Post
    We lost sovereignty only because nobody was brave enough to say that country cannot afford sp generous welfare benefits with golden plated PS salaries and accept that only choice for country to default.
    Then all savings would be burned, but private debt of banks never would become state debt.
    And few tough years country would be able to grow again
    We lost sovereignty not because of the PS wage bill nor the benefits bill. We lost sovereignty because gamblers had the ear of politicians who told us that private companies couldn't be allowed to fail.

    Compare the money poured into socialism for bank bondholders/shareholders and with the PS wage bill plus the benefits bill.

    Not only have we lost a 3rd of our GDP in the black hole of corrupt banking practices we are now in the market for a 100billion loan to do more of the same.

    People will go hungry, there will be a sharp rise in suicides, a sharp rise inn marital breakdown, an increase in poverty and all that comes with that and it will have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the PS wage bill or benefits paid during the 'Tiger' years.

    Simple. Count the cost attributable to what you are blaming and then add up what money has been poured away into corrupt private banks.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    545

    Default Re: Leo Varadkar interview with IT: right wing policies from an ideological base and proud of it

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    We lost sovereignty not because of the PS wage bill nor the benefits bill. We lost sovereignty because gamblers had the ear of politicians who told us that private companies couldn't be allowed to fail.
    Because they used “preserving living standards of most vulnerable” as excuse
    Any attempts to organize bank run year ago were prevented by left wing supporters, who couldn’t imagine welfare benefits would be cut
    Without being hostage of failed social policies and overpaid public services, people could simply withdraw all money from banks and any attempt for bailout wouldn’t make any sense

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    нурмы
    Posts
    5,006

    Default Re: Leo Varadkar interview with IT: right wing policies from an ideological base and proud of it

    Quote Originally Posted by Edo View Post
    ah Bormotello

    I wouldn't waste my time replying

    Its pretty sad how one-sided this forum has turned - its pretty much indy-media for people who can spell and other associated whingers - if you have mainstream views - or perish the thought - might actually sway to the right - there will be no welcome or tolerance for you here.

    Sad - whenever I think of PW thesedays - the little room where the Peoples Front of Judea met in the Life of Brian springs to mind - a small group of malcontents and ideologues sitting around ,scheming,pontificating ,seek mutual self reinforcement of their dreams about toppling the imperialist totalitarian masters while outside the world goes on without them - or dreaming up another auld march or protest which in one foul swoop will turn the country into revolution! - They will still be all here in 10 years time talking the same auld sh^te to the same converted few ,looking down their noses at the democracy they live in.

    Meh - Leo has beliefs - well fancy that and good for him

    BTW - DNW is going to be a 4 seater next time around - Leo will easily retain his seat and the Beloved St Joe of the whingers will probably regain his dail seat too......everybody happy.
    Edo, in all fairness that's not true- any right wingers who post here and are banned are banned for violations of site rules not for their politics or opinions. Plenty of people who post on here aren't socialists and would have significant disagreements with those of us who are. If you have a problem with the way the site is modded or if you want to give me examples of how those who run it are biased, you can post it here or if you want it dealt with confidentially send me a pm and I'll get back to you.
    Нооруз пиээ пурылыа выиттыа


    'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class'
    Pat Rabitte, 1987

    "Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"
    Michael Noonan, November 2010

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,044

    Default Re: Leo Varadkar interview with IT: right wing policies from an ideological base and proud of it

    Quote Originally Posted by bormotello View Post
    Because they used “preserving living standards of most vulnerable” as excuse
    Any attempts to organize bank run year ago were prevented by left wing supporters, who couldn’t imagine welfare benefits would be cut
    Without being hostage of failed social policies and overpaid public services, people could simply withdraw all money from banks and any attempt for bailout wouldn’t make any sense
    Sorry bormotello are you attempting to say that the reason private banks had a 3rd of Irish GDP thrown into their accounts is because the state feared for the safety of the little people?

    Do you know anything about the sequence of events of the bank guarantee? I'm not quite sure I follow your accusation that leftwingers are somehow to blame for the decimation we are looking at today..

    You are aware that Fianna Fail are not a socialist party?
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    545

    Default Re: Leo Varadkar interview with IT: right wing policies from an ideological base and proud of it

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    Sorry bormotello are you attempting to say that the reason private banks had a 3rd of Irish GDP thrown into their accounts is because the state feared for the safety of the little people?

    Do you know anything about the sequence of events of the bank guarantee? I'm not quite sure I follow your accusation that leftwingers are somehow to blame for the decimation we are looking at today..

    IMHO, it was few reasons for banks bailout
    1) Fianna Fail doesn’t have any alternative to growth based property bubble
    2) Collapse of banks could lead for social unrest from professional welfare recipients and public servants, who really believe that they really deserve their high benefits and salaries
    3) too many people from business and political elite could loose everything and become targets for creditors
    4) Europe could learn that it was no real growth in Ireland and EU banks were recklessly lending money to Irish banks in order to gain bonuses for managers in EU banks
    5) ECB staff is totally incompetent and whole idea single currency is joke. Poor country doesn’t deserve to be in Euro

    i.e it is not as simple as many left wingers are trying to present





    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    You are aware that Fianna Fail are not a socialist party?
    Do you mean that I shouldn’t trust Bertie’s statements?

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Out of my mind
    Posts
    12,135

    Default Re: Leo Varadkar interview with IT: right wing policies from an ideological base and proud of it

    Quote Originally Posted by bormotello View Post
    Without being hostage of failed social policies and overpaid public services, people could simply withdraw all money from banks and any attempt for bailout wouldn’t make any sense
    Are you serious?

    The banks are being bailed out to protect social policies (failed or otherwise) and public servants?

    Care to elaborate on this wild thesis?
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    545

    Default Re: Leo Varadkar interview with IT: right wing policies from an ideological base and proud of it

    Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    Are you serious?

    The banks are being bailed out to protect social policies (failed or otherwise) and public servants?

    Care to elaborate on this wild thesis?
    How else would you pay welfare benefits and PS wages if all banks would collapse in one day?

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,105

    Default Re: Leo Varadkar interview with IT: right wing policies from an ideological base and proud of it

    Quote Originally Posted by bormotello View Post
    Because they used “preserving living standards of most vulnerable” as excuse
    Any attempts to organize bank run year ago were prevented by left wing supporters, who couldn’t imagine welfare benefits would be cut
    Without being hostage of failed social policies and overpaid public services, people could simply withdraw all money from banks and any attempt for bailout wouldn’t make any sense
    According to the OECD data, a single person claiming social welfare in Ireland received payments that were 29 percent below the average of other EU-15 countries. ”Even poorer countries such as Portugal and Spain, make higher payments” Also, payments to the “single unemployed makes up only 34 percent of net take-home pay, again the 3rd worst in the EU-15 tables.”

    In the case of payments to a married couple with two children Irish recipients fairs better, appearing slightly above average, at mid-table. Unfortunately: “we don’t manage to pay the average replacement rate as pertains in the other countries. An Irish couple with two children will only receive 52 percent of their net take-home pay. In other EU-15 countries the average is 59 percent.”

    When Power Purchasing Parities (PPP), which are used to even out living standards in the countries being compared, the ranking changes: for a single person, to 38 percent below the average, while for a married couple with two children earning the average industrial wage the level of social welfare payments “falls below the average in the other EU-15 countries”.

    Link
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    730

    Default Re: Leo Varadkar interview with IT: right wing policies from an ideological base and proud of it

    Fianna Fail saw an opportunity to fill a gap (burgeoning population)! They knew that a strategy to build thousands of housing units...coupled with punitive taxes on same...the taxes on the builders/workers/suppliers etc etc would create a fortune! FF also decided (since they engineered such wealth) to create employment for many more thousands than were needed in public/civil service and health (non-front-line)...to insure re-election! ....And...errrr...where are we now?? If I'm wrong...some one please reply. Thanks.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    545

    Default Re: Leo Varadkar interview with IT: right wing policies from an ideological base and proud of it

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    According to the OECD data,
    It based on very old data

    This is what OECD thinks about welfare benefits now
    Since Jobseeker’s Allowance payments are generally close to Jobseeker’s Benefit payments, the rise in long-term unemployment by itself does not raise major social concerns related to the adequacy of available income support. However, the rise in long-term unemployment does raise important concerns over its possible incidence on structural unemployment and the extent to which it reduces effective labour supply with potential negative effects on potential economic growth. These concerns are compounded by the relatively generous and time-unlimited nature of Jobseeker’s Allowance, which provides weak incentives for work, especially for low-skilled workers.
    http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/14/37/45603074.pdf

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    730

    Default Re: Leo Varadkar interview with IT: right wing policies from an ideological base and proud of it

    If the social outcome of these Patricians coming to Ireland is a retention of the subjection of the poorest/unconnected...then roll-on a revolution...and quickly!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us