Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Surfing Around Ireland

Default Re: Surfing Around Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by musashi View Post

When I was young and dumb, living in Burleigh Heads, Gold Coast, I went out in a monster storm. The current dragged my stupid ass for 1 kilometer along razor sharp rocks, shredded me, broke my board and washed me up half drownded at The Cove surrounded by surfers with more sense. Still have the scars - and of course my near-death surfing yarn
    Must have been quite a sight

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Must have been quite a sight
    I got a few double-takes as I hobbled back to the lifeguard for first aid.

I see from today's IT that Clare County Council has voted to spend 6 million euro on a new pier at Doolin that Failte Ireland and the Irish surfing association say will spoil the Crab Island and Doolin surf.

FG FF and many local people supporting it. Sure what would Failte Ireland know about tourism...

I see from today's IT that Clare County Council has voted to spend 6 million euro on a new pier at Doolin that Failte Ireland and the Irish surfing association say will spoil the Crab Island and Doolin surf.

FG FF and many local people supporting it. Sure what would Failte Ireland know about tourism...
    Took a boat trip from Doolin to the closest Aran island. The swells were so High they had all on board gripping each other with white knuckles showing.

One American on the return trip said, Never ever again will you get me on this boat!

On board looking up to those waves high above the small boat was a little unnerving even for this veteran of force ten gales on the mailboat from Liverpool to Dublin. Time and again.
    1963 the most memorable when my specs were nearly blown from my face as I went on deck,like a fool, to see the dramatic seas.
    We are all insane animals existing for a time on an obviously unfinished planet.
    www.irelandtoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceColgan View Post
    Took a boat trip from Doolin to the closest Aran island. The swells were so High they had all on board gripping each other with white knuckles showing.

One American on the return trip said, Never ever again will you get me on this boat!

On board looking up to those waves high above the small boat was a little unnerving even for this veteran of force ten gales on the mailboat from Liverpool to Dublin. Time and again.
    1963 the most memorable when my specs were nearly blown from my face as I went on deck,like a fool, to see the dramatic seas.
    It's even scarier on a board, colder tho.

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceColgan View Post

I did it once with the family when the ferry people said that there would be no more trips that day because the weather was just too bad. I talked them into it. Just us on the boat and a sea from hell. Getting off at the pier was very interesting with the boat going up and down like a yo yo. They tried getting people on to take them back but gave up ....
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Just watching "Gethin Jones Danger Spots" - newbie celeb sportsman tackling big waves.
    He started in South Africa then headed to Ireland to give our biggest wave a crack.
    Mad Welsh guys with a death wish

"This place is evil - when you're out there you feel like you're at the edge of the world"

6.30 a.m. a howling gale in the half light in Mullaghmore on the strand. Gethin is told to forget it. The rest of the crew head out, with a safety boat beside them. Forty five foot waves can happen, 10 minutes west of the harbour by jet ski. Isn't that three houses high?

6.30 a.m. a howling gale in the half light in Mullaghmore on the strand. Gethin is told to forget it. The rest of the crew head out, with a safety boat beside them. Forty five foot waves can happen, 10 minutes west of the harbour by jet ski. Isn't that three houses high?
    Met.ie's prediction for Sunday-ish will get 'em plenty waves to play around with/on/under

I love this clip. Makes me wish I could surf

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FeSQ_hXOsg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FeSQ_hXOsg[/ame]
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    I love this clip. Makes me wish I could surf
    Ah, you can always try this instead

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-bodyboard

Viewed by some no doubt like they view pitch and putt compared to golf

Have to say tho I body boarded for a while and it was great fun - nothing like an "ice cream headache" in the Atlantic in early january - the cure for all hangovers

Can't surf tho

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    Can't surf tho
    How hard can it be?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbc1YMCifw4"]Surfing FAIL - YouTube[/ame]
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

Yup, body/boogie boarding can be fun indeed

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayfRj-1lugs&feature=related"]BODYBOARD - Copacabana - Posto 5 - "Sorriso" - YouTube[/ame]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast