Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Manufacturing Industry in Ireland - It Does Exist You Know

Default Re: Manufacturing Industry in Ireland - It Does Exist You Know

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Lots of people are trained on the job,starting off sweeping the floor and working their way up through the factory. All the book learning in the world is useless if it can't be put into practice.
    The government despise manufacturing as the equipment costs make it cash intensive whereas a call centre only needs a phone line and a few computers .
    Why haven't FAS been teaching intensive language courses ?
    Why don't we make the whole country fluent in mandarin
    It would only take five years.

I thought FAS was in charge of apprenticeships ?

Actually you are more correct than you think when you laugh at Bankers etc.
    An Apprenticeship is a very structured learning period in which you learn many parts of life. To leave aside the skills aspect for a moment, you learn to respect the knowledge of the Tradesman you are working with as this is the core element of your training. Tradesmen/women are highly skilled in this Country and are accepted the Worldover. My personal perception now is that the FAS nonsense does not give the Apprentice proper training and has reduced the timeline to a nonsense.
    When I served my time it was 5 years as a Joiner and I learned respect for my fully fledged Tradesmen but most of all my Trade and pride in my work. To take a plank of wood 22ft by 9inch by 3 inch up on my shoulder and create a window, door, cabinet, flooring or many other things and live in the smell of the wood was wonderful and never forgotten. In Dublin I have 3 places where my work is in public view after 36years is a joy for me, but only me and my family now know where they are. When I stand beside them I feel the sense of achievement by a young man. Now I cannot, for several reasons use my trade, but it was the highlight of my carreer. To me, I am now just a simple MD. Manufacturing gets into your blood and you leave at the end of the day, tired but fulfilled and this is why I try to nudge my people up the ladder. Ahhh but that is life.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post

FAS is the state employment agency and your first port of call after the welfare office after you sign on. They have lots of courses on offer but most such as 'stone wall building' aren't exactly in big demand at the moment.
    If I call a callcentre about anything I will usually be answered by someone with less than fluent English so why can't we learn people basic foreign languages so that Ireland can compete for such jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisagame View Post
    An Apprenticeship is a very structured learning period in which you learn many parts of life. To leave aside the skills aspect for a moment, you learn to respect the knowledge of the Tradesman you are working with as this is the core element of your training. Tradesmen/women are highly skilled in this Country and are accepted the Worldover. My personal perception now is that the FAS nonsense does not give the Apprentice proper training and has reduced the timeline to a nonsense.
    When I served my time it was 5 years as a Joiner and I learned respect for my fully fledged Tradesmen but most of all my Trade and pride in my work. To take a plank of wood 22ft by 9inch by 3 inch up on my shoulder and create a window, door, cabinet, flooring or many other things and live in the smell of the wood was wonderful and never forgotten. In Dublin I have 3 places where my work is in public view after 36years is a joy for me, but only me and my family now know where they are. When I stand beside them I feel the sense of achievement by a young man. Now I cannot, for several reasons use my trade, but it was the highlight of my carreer. To me, I am now just a simple MD. Manufacturing gets into your blood and you leave at the end of the day, tired but fulfilled and this is why I try to nudge my people up the ladder. Ahhh but that is life.
    Fas Controls Apprentices

Has all apprenticeship gone to FAS now ? With FAS being wound up, what would be the best way of apprentices learning their trade ?

Has all apprenticeship gone to FAS now ?With FAS being wound up, what would be the best way of apprentices learning their trade ?
    Yes FAS Controls all. At the moment not sure, am sure someone will step in and make a horlicks of it.

Yes FAS Controls all. At the moment not sure, am sure someone will step in and make a horlicks of it.
    Isn't this an opportunity perhaps for trying to get this made a priority? To get it right ?

Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!

FAS?? That was a slush fund.

Here is a description of the German "Dual Vocational Training" system which, while not without its own problems, is something which has served Germany well in the past 40 years.

http://www.teluq.uquebec.ca/chaireec.../NRC03-04A.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    FAS?? That was a slush fund.

Here is a description of the German "Dual Vocational Training" system which, while not without its own problems, is something which has served Germany well in the past 40 years.

http://www.teluq.uquebec.ca/chaireec.../NRC03-04A.pdf
    I noticed that when the recession hit Germany, they geared everything up so that they could keep their skilled manufacturing workers going on short time, because they appreciate the value of the skills, the team, the whole thing.

Notionally, there has been "vocational" education in Ireland, but it is often used as short hand for not-so-good education.

Isn't this an opportunity perhaps for trying to get this made a priority? To get it right ?
    Sorry but we were not academic teachers and could only use initiative and innovation so they reduced the training period and all your homes have half assed people turning your water on from the light switch.

Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!

I noticed that when the recession hit Germany, they geared everything up so that they could keep their skilled manufacturing workers going on short time, because they appreciate the value of the skills, the team, the whole thing.

Notionally, there has been "vocational" education in Ireland, but it is often used as short hand for not-so-good education.
    I know quite a few people in the Berlin area who went on short time 18 months ago but who are back to full time work now. The investment in training is too high just to let them go and the cost of training somebody new when things pick up also has to be taken into account. That is why the Anglophone slash and burn approach is a non-runner in Germany. It also explains why Germans always assume their own people are far more educated in trade and industry than their Anglophone counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    I know quite a few people in the Berlin area who went on short time 18 months ago but who are back to full time work now. The investment in training is too high just to let them go and the cost of training somebody new when things pick up also has to be taken into account. That is why the Anglophone slash and burn approach is a non-runner in Germany. It also explains why Germans always assume their own people are far more educated in trade and industry than their Anglophone counterparts.
    Yup you have got to keep your Tradesmen going and you also have got to stop unqualified idiots from taking on the jobs as Tradesmen will charge the full price and then some to clean up after.
    Sounds like Anglo

Sorry but we were not academic teachers and could only use initiative and innovation so they reduced the training period and all your homes have half assed people turning your water on from the light switch.
    This is as true as you say it. I have experienced even more bizarre malfunctions in wiring...

Well in the Industry we are in, if our exports are increasing and we are hiring then you can be sure there is good movement outside Ireland. So we are definitely seeing an Uplift, long may it last.

Well in the Industry we are in, if our exports are increasing and we are hiring then you can be sure there is good movement outside Ireland. So we are definitely seeing an Uplift, long may it last.
    A 12% increase in manufacturing exports mentioned, year on year, I guess, on RTE's lunchtime news.

The biggest threat without a doubt is the EU wish to end our low Corporation Tax rates.

But do we really make things in Ireland, or do we only assemble and pack things made elsewhere, so that Corporations can avail of our low tax rates ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast