Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Assistant Garda Commissioner accused of assaulting garda whistleblower-The original Maurice McCabe allegations

Default Re: Assistant Garda Commissioner accused of assaulting garda whistleblower

He's been very good so far in fairness. Made no friends in the force over Boylan

Default Re: Assistant Garda Commissioner accused of assaulting garda whistleblower

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    He's been very good so far in fairness. Made no friends in the force over Boylan
    That's true. Sounds like he's batting for Callinan on Prime Time and Late Debate tonight though.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    That's true. Sounds like he's batting for Callinan on Prime Time and Late Debate tonight though.
    How is it that the Assistant Commissioner was investigating the whistleblowing complaints back in 2010 yet the Commissioner says he only learned of the whistleblower and his complaints when?

I'm reminded of the original article from the OP where it says:

THE GARDA commissioner has received a criminal complaint alleging that assistant commissioner Derek Byrne physically restrained and falsely imprisoned a garda whistleblower in a hotel in Monaghan last month.
    Well worth reading that article again, considering what we know now.

Quote Originally Posted by Seán Ryan View Post
    How is it that the Assistant Commissioner was investigating the whistleblowing complaints back in 2010 yet the Commissioner says he only learned of the whistleblower and his complaints when?

I'm reminded of the original article from the OP where it says:

Well worth reading that article again, considering what we know now.
    It's a pity that the Sunday Tribune is no more. There was a lot more detail in the piece.

This is interesting:

The accusations were made in a report passed to Brian McCarthy, former sec*retary-general to President McAleese.

McCarthy was appointed by the government to receive confidential information from gardaí who want to report corruption and wrongdoing in the force. As a result, a major internal investigation was launched in May 2008, led by assistant commissioner Byrne.

Byrne met with the garda whistleblower and two other gardaí at the Hillgrove Hotel in Monaghan on 11 October. The meeting was held to discuss the investigation, which is almost complete.

It is understood the assistant commissioner had not upheld some of the more serious allegations made by the whistleblower and these issues were discussed at the heated meeting.
    Is that 2008 date a typo or am I becoming addled in my old age?

Quote Originally Posted by Seán Ryan View Post
    This is interesting:

Is that 2008 date a typo or am I becoming addled in my old age?
    No. The investigation began in 2008 and dragged on until near the end of 2010.

The original Sunday Tribune story from November 2010 that formed the basis of the OP. Thanks Dr Five for unearthing it.

Ali Bracken, Crime Correspondent

Derek Byrne: allegedly falsely imprisoned another garda
    THE GARDA commissioner has received a criminal complaint alleging that assistant commissioner Derek Byrne physically restrained and falsely imprisoned a garda whistleblower in a hotel in Monaghan last month.

Byrne had been appointed to oversee an internal investigation after a garda made a number of serious allegations against his colleagues in the Cavan/ Monaghan area.

He claimed gardaí failed to investigate certain serious crimes including a sexual assault, physical assault, a case of false imprisonment and hijacking.

The whistleblower also alleged that some officers regularly turned up drunk to work. The garda, who has been moved from his station in the Bailieborough district since he made his complaint, also claimed that gardaí posted information about a victim of domestic violence on Bebo, the social-networking website.

The accusations were made in a report passed to Brian McCarthy, former sec*retary-general to President McAleese.

McCarthy was appointed by the government to receive confidential information from gardaí who want to report corruption and wrongdoing in the force. As a result, a major internal investigation was launched in May 2008, led by assistant commissioner Byrne.

Byrne met with the garda whistleblower and two other gardaí at the Hillgrove Hotel in Monaghan on 11 October. The meeting was held to discuss the investigation, which is almost complete.

It is understood the assistant commissioner had not upheld some of the more serious allegations made by the whistleblower and these issues were discussed at the heated meeting.

At the meeting, the whistleblower voiced concerns that Byrne was the assistant commissioner based in Sligo at the time of some of the alleged misconduct, meaning he would have had responsibility for the Bailieborough district and therefore could not be seen to be impartial.

The garda also brought to the meeting boxes of documents printed from the garda intelligence system, Pulse, which he said clearly showed that gardaí had falsely claimed members of the community were involved in criminality.

The whistleblower claimed that officers had incorrectly stated that innocent people were involved in crime, in a bid to increase their returns on work.

The whistleblower said he planned to hand this information over to an independent body rather than the assistant commissioner.

The garda then allegedly attempted to leave the room where the meeting was taking place with his boxes of documentation. In his complaint to the garda commissioner, the officer claimed Byrne restrained him by the arm and shoulder to prevent him leaving the room. Byrne then allegedly blocked the door and refused to let the garda leave with the documentation.

One of the gardaí present, a representative from the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors, tried to calm the situation down.

The whistleblower claimed he was unable to leave the room and was again obstructed by the assistant commissioner when he tried to leave with the files. Byrne then took possession of the boxes of documents and left the hotel.

The fourth garda present was Chief Supt Terri McGinn.

It is understood the boxes of documents seized by the assistant commissioner alleging misuse of the Pulse system are to be investigated, but Byrne is not to lead this investigation.

The documents have been placed in safekeeping and because of the conflict between the whistleblower and Byrne, another officer will be appointed to probe the fresh allegations.

The assistant commissioner has been informed that a criminal complaint has been made against him in relation to the incident in the hotel.

It is understood he will deny he assaulted and falsely imprisoned the garda but will admit there was an incident at the hotel between the pair.

Formal statements have not yet been taken by gardaí. The garda commissioner has also been formally requested to set up an independent inquiry into the allegations of criminal malpractice at Bailieborough.

A spokesman for the garda press office said he could not comment on an internal investigation. The Sunday Tribune understands deputy commissioner Naice Rice has been appointed to investigate the allegations made against Byrne.

November 7, 2010

The original Sunday Tribune story from November 2010 that formed the basis of the OP. Thanks Dr Five for unearthing it.
    Glad to see that preserved for posterity. And at this stage, very fair usage.

Just bumping this thread. I see that that McCabe alleged that Gardai were falsely accusing people of crimes in order to bump up returns. This issue was mentioned by the Garda whistleblower, John Wilson, in the recent RTE Documentary on One.

The garda also brought to the meeting boxes of documents printed from the garda intelligence system, Pulse, which he said clearly showed that gardaí had falsely claimed members of the community were involved in criminality.
    The whistleblower claimed that officers had incorrectly stated that innocent people were involved in crime, in a bid to increase their returns on work.
    http://www.politicalworld.org/showth...584#post372584

It has received extraordinarily little attention from the press and RTE.

It seems very likely that people have died as a result of the way that some Gardai let off some dangerous drivers off penalty points for speeding.

It also seems that lives have been devastated by false convictions.

John Wilson had a rat tied to his front door. Clare Daly was handcuffed beside the road. Gemma Doherty was sacked from her job in the Independent. The man in charge of "the Force", Callinan, under current law, gets to investigate complaints about himself.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/documentary-podcast-garda-limped-whistleblower-john-wilson.html

Last edited by C. Flower; 12-02-2014 at 09:02 AM.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

The Irish Times catches up with this rather belatedly.
    A Garda sergeant at the centre of two whistleblowing controversies first approached the authorities with his concerns in 2008, years earlier than previously thought.Sgt Maurice McCabe went to then confidential recipient Brian McCarthy to raise about 20 cases of alleged Garda neglect of duty, some very serious, in the Cavan-Monaghan Garda division.
    The matters were investigated at the time by the Garda and separately by the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission (GSOC).
    The revelations in The Irish Times today that Garda whistleblower Maurice McCabe first raised his concerns about alleged Garda corruption years earlier than has been reported and debated up to now, further muddies the water on what was an already complicated picture.
    The new information that the whistleblowing began almost six years ago brings the matter to the term in office ofFianna Fáil, the party now taking the current Government to task for its response to whistleblowing efforts. It also reveals that at least some of the matters contained in a dossier given by Sgt Maurice McCabe to Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin were investigated at the time by both the Garda and the Garda SíochánaOmbudsman Commission(GSOC).
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/polit...tion-1.1702180

Conor Lally thinks this is new??

The Irish Times catches up with this rather belatedly.

Conor Lally thinks this is new??
    How could it be new, when there was a GSOC investigation in the public domain ? Some "reporters" don't seem to do even basic research.

I see that McCabe was moved to the traffic corps - hence the penalty points issues ?

The Times completely ignores the fitting up of innocent people.

Why is there a silence within a silence about this ?

Appalling vista of compensation ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Lally's report contradicts what was said in the ST and the Tribune at the time.

The Garda and GSOC inquiries found no evidence that warranted further action.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...2008-1.1702214

According to sources, Mr McCarthy took receipt of the allegations and forwarded them to the then garda commissioner Fachtna Murphy. He appointed a senior officer – believed to be an assistant commissioner – to launch a full-scale inquiry.
    This involved personnel, including Assistant CommissionerDerek Byrne and Chief Supt Terry McGinn, travelling from Garda Headquarters, Phoenix Park, Dublin, to the Cavan-Monaghan division to investigate. Sources believed no evidence warranting criminal prosecution nor internal disciplinary action was found. It is unclear whether then minister for justice Dermot Ahern was briefed on the allegations.

AN INTERNAL garda investigation into allegations of malpractice and indiscipline in the Cavan/Monaghan division has upheld complaints over the failure of officers to follow procedures, but found no evidence of corruption.
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...icle447917.ece

http://web.archive.org/web/201011121...ed-of-assault/
    Last edited by PaddyJoe; 24-02-2014 at 12:53 AM.

Martin

Speaking to The Pat Kenny Show on Newstalk he said, “I met another whistle blower on a separate issue completely within An Garda Síochána and met the person for an hour and a bit.

“He handed over a dossier to me in relation to another murder case he felt wasn’t properly dealt with.

“Again what happened to him bears some similarities to what happened with the Maurice McCabe incident,” he said.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/i...le30036803.ece
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Default Re: Assistant Garda Commissioner accused of assaulting garda whistleblower-The original Maurice McCabe allegations

Dail question from Pat Rabbitte to Dermot Ahern 2/10/2008:
    2. Deputy Pat Rabbitte asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of cases being handled by the whistleblower, Mr. Brian McCarthy, appointed to receive complaints from members of the Garda Síochána; the reason he refused to disclose the location of the whistleblower’s office in reply to previous parliamentary questions; if he will confirm that the office is located within his Department; his views on whether this is the most appropriate location; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [32827/08]

Ahern:
    I have been informed by Mr. McCarthy that, to date, he has been contacted in three cases by people within the Garda about their concerns. Mr. McCarthy’s contact details have been supplied to all the people for whom his services are intended, namely sworn members and civilian employees of the Garda. His office is located in a building shared with other bodies operating under the aegis of my Department. It is not a public office and members of the public do not have access to his services.
    ...With regard to the location, it is on Harcourt Street, in a secure building. Mr. McCarthy is satisfied with the level of security available to him with regard to his modus operandi from that building. He is very conscious, as are the staff assigned, of the issue of confidentiality. Members of the Garda Síochána are all aware of how to contact Mr. McCarthy to give him any information they wish, in strict confidentiality.I emphasise that the building in question is not accessible by officials from the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform, other than the four people who are assigned to work with Mr. McCarthy, and neither is it part of any Garda operation nor near any Garda station. I am satisfied with the arrangements and, as I have said, three cases have already come to the notice of Mr. McCarthy. Complaints have been made and he is independently examining them. The Garda Commissioner has nominated eight chief superintendents as confidential recipients and one civilian.

Rabbitte:
    Civil servants and their Ministers have a habit of calculating how far we will get on oral questions and then giving minimal information in the subsequent written questions or questions that do not come up for oral reply. If I did not personally know Mr. Brian McCarthy, I would have doubted his very existence on the basis of the answer I received previously from the Minister. However, I know he exists and I put it to the Minister that it is not doing anything for Garda morale that the confidentiality he has described surrounds him or that a Garda is required to either present physically or make contact with him within the aegis of the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform.I must say, although I regret having to do so, that I am sceptical about the nine chief superintendents. Certainly the gardaí who have identified cases to me are not going to approach a chief superintendent. I am sorry it should be that way.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2008/10/02/00011.asp

Pat with SOR on Friday:
    Sean O’Rourke: “Now you are primarily on the programme to talk about these fears that post offices will be subject to wholesale closures round the country but before we come to that can I just get your sense as to what should happen now on the whole whistleblower controversy. Just on a point of clarification, and I heard you speak well of Sergeant Maurice McCabe the whistleblower at the centre of all this, is it your view that he did not co-operate with inquiries say particularly the inquiry into the penalty points controversy by the assistant Garda Commissioner?”

Pat Rabbitte: “Well, I mean I repeat Sean what I said about Maurice McCabe, I know him a little, I haven’t met him in recent years, he came to me a number of years ago about certain matters that Maurice McCabe wanted to put them into the public domain, he’s perfectly free to do so as regards you know what was the content of his exchanges in the present controversy I’m not party to that but it would appear from what has emerged now that the Minister for Justice may have been mistaken when he said he didn’t co-operate and I presume when the opportunity arises he will say whether that’s right or not but judging from media coverage it would appear that Maurice McCabe was available and so on and wasn’t exactly examined on the issue.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/02/21/rabbitte-brings-the-pigeons-home/
    Last edited by PaddyJoe; 24-02-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    Its certainly time that the Gardai were made accountable and not just to another Garda. Some Gardai are still acting the bootboy on behalf of the local priest as well. There was an unsavoury incident involving a detective and two uniformed Garda waving the back of a fag packet at a woman who had accused a local priest of sexual abuse in Wicklow and turning over her house.

Its time these people had to justify themselves. Otherwise they are nothing but a gang.
    Good grief.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast