Page 112 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113 LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 1681

Thread: What's it doing where you are? Stormy / Snowy weather thread.

Default Re: What's it doing where you are? Stormy / Snowy weather thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    We're due something similar early next week. The remnants of your recent bomb cylone or whatever it was.

A notable rise in flue cases here in the North [Ireland] Curious to know if there were similar recordings in recent weeks your side of the pond?
    I dont think there's an increase in Flu numbers in the US but have some Dr friends saying they are seeing more Influenza A this year; also the vaccine is not very effective, on the low end about 40% efficacy (i didn't re-check these numbers so no quoting down below please)

you guys have the perfect weather conditions for transmission of virus ..that's probably also the reason you make the best whiskey (cos its the best treatment for those types of ailments )

now i've got to get my head around a revision of a paper but bit difficult w kiddos round the house .. an the cat insists in either walking over the computer or not moving from my lap, sometimes i can't even see the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post

The Shannon has been filling up rather quickly in the last few weeks and its catchment area is now saturated with more storms seemingly on the menu. This year it's now at around the normal year's flood level high ( it floods practically every year ) but there's plenty more heavy rain to come. It has kind of snuck up again without anyone taking too much notice of it.
    It has burst through past the median flood level here in Athlone and on past the 5m mark to 5.121m+ tonight. No seriously damaging flooding yet but if this current storm dumps another load of heavy rain then it'll only be a matter of time before the wall of water coming down river forces a rise of just over another 700mm to equal the record flooding levels seen in 2016. I'd imagine at 5.5m panic stations will set in.

Once in 20 year flood levels now seem to be being breached every 3-4 years.

It has burst through past the median flood level here in Athlone and on past the 5m mark to 5.121m+ tonight. No seriously damaging flooding yet but if this current storm dumps another load of heavy rain then it'll only be a matter of time before the wall of water coming down river forces a rise of just over another 700mm to equal the record flooding levels seen in 2016. I'd imagine at 5.5m panic stations will set in.

Yes Shaadi. Where are you getting your chart from ?

On my stretch of water, the land around has been saturated for a week. Waves of rain coming in twice a week and each time the level rises. Last Sunday, another inch would have breached here, only the second time its happened in 30 years, the last in 2016. There are sandbags all around my laptop. I asked the Council (the Emergency Response lead on floods in Ireland) what their Emergency Response plan was for floods - I was told I would get it a week ago - with names and phone numbers redacted - but nothing has arrived as yet.

There is no standard or systematic approach to flood response across the country and no central monitoring or audit of flood response by the Councils. Army can not go in until the Council authorises them.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Yes Shaadi. Where are you getting your chart from ?

On my stretch of water, the land around has been saturated for a week. Waves of rain coming in twice a week and each time the level rises. Last Sunday, another inch would have breached here, only the second time its happened in 30 years, the last in 2016. There are sandbags all around my laptop. I asked the Council (the Emergency Response lead on floods in Ireland) what their Emergency Response plan was for floods - I was told I would get it a week ago - with names and phone numbers redacted - but nothing has arrived as yet.

There is no standard or systematic approach to flood response across the country and no central monitoring or audit of flood response by the Councils. Army can not go in until the Council authorises them.
    The OPW have a site called https://waterlevel.ie which gives the real-time water levels ( + temperatures etc ) at various sites across the country. Below is the station group list link where you can click on the most relevant sites to you.

https://waterlevel.ie/group/list/

I'm sure various public bodies are monitoring the flood threats ( not that they're necessarily going to do anything about them ) because here on the Shannon there was a huge volume of water upriver of Athlone that was causing the water level in Athlone to rise quickly. That quick rise seems to have slowed rapidly despite all the rain since, I assume they've been letting extra water off from the Parteen Reservoir Dam so that the Shannon doesn't get backed up too much.

WaPo has this story about waves on Inishmore moving a 650 ton boulder. It's the largest recorded non-tsunami movement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...l_green&wpmm=1
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

The OPW have a site called https://waterlevel.ie which gives the real-time water levels ( + temperatures etc ) at various sites across the country. Below is the station group list link where you can click on the most relevant sites to you.

https://waterlevel.ie/group/list/

I'm sure various public bodies are monitoring the flood threats ( not that they're necessarily going to do anything about them ) because here on the Shannon there was a huge volume of water upriver of Athlone that was causing the water level in Athlone to rise quickly. That quick rise seems to have slowed rapidly despite all the rain since, I assume they've been letting extra water off from the Parteen Reservoir Dam so that the Shannon doesn't get backed up too much.
    Yes - thanks. I do watch that site: it's very useful. After the fiasco at Cork, a deliberate release of a massive flood onto the city without warning the people who would be flooded, from the dam at Macroom, perhaps the Shannon is being managed carefully. The Fire Service in Ireland leaves a great deal to be desired, given that fire deaths here are the highest in Europe. But it is highly functional compared with the flood response system which seems to be to issue sand bags to a few centres for people to collect (if they can) while permitting people to build on flood zones.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    The Fire Service in Ireland leaves a great deal to be desired, given that fire deaths here are the highest in Europe.
    Can you cite a source for this assertion please?
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Well we had about a full week here where the water level had risen to within 40-50mm of the level that triggers a full flood warning. Somehow those managing the river seem to have been able to get through all the subsequent heavy rain since while keeping the water level within a 10-20mm band of where it had been then.

Hopefully that's the peak for this period ..

While Ireland prepares for a (no-show) cold spell.......We had 2 inches of snow on Sunday, 76 on Tuesday, and now today........

CAPITAL WEATHER GANG: "On Wednesday, 80 degrees isn't even out of the question ... If D.C. hits 80 Wednesday, it will be the earliest calendar year occurrence of 80 degrees in recorded history. There is also some chance that the low temperature Wednesday, potentially lingering above 60 degrees, is the warmest ever observed during February." http://wapo.st/2BFScxT
    Tuesday tied for Washington's fourth-warmest February day on record.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

DC hit 82 on Wednesday. 84 is all time Feb high.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    While Ireland prepares for a (no-show) cold spell.......We had 2 inches of snow on Sunday, 76 on Tuesday, and now today........

CAPITAL WEATHER GANG: "On Wednesday, 80 degrees isn't even out of the question ... If D.C. hits 80 Wednesday, it will be the earliest calendar year occurrence of 80 degrees in recorded history. There is also some chance that the low temperature Wednesday, potentially lingering above 60 degrees, is the warmest ever observed during February." http://wapo.st/2BFScxT
    Tuesday tied for Washington's fourth-warmest February day on record.
    A No-show ( no snow ) cold spell would seem unlikely at this late stage. The snowmaniacs over on the Boards.ie weather threads are beyond giddy with excitement as the earlier predictions of a snowmageddon for Ireland appear to be very much on track with steamers lining up to meet the approaching eastern cold front which will then dump loads of the whitestuff on us.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057844792

They're talking about a 1982 level of snowfall which will be great for all those born since then who've never experienced a good old fashioned serious snowfall in Ireland. Just in case they are right we should be preparing for a few weeks of burst pipes and frozen water mains.
    Last edited by Shaadi; 24-02-2018 at 02:20 AM.

Guess I was wrong about that no show..........

Had no snow or rain but had "Hurricane Force" winds, resulting in no power or heat still out almost a week later. Hard to believe when you are just a 20 minute drive from the WH and Capitol building.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Guess I was wrong about that no show..........

Had no snow or rain but had "Hurricane Force" winds, resulting in no power or heat still out almost a week later. Hard to believe when you are just a 20 minute drive from the WH and Capitol building.
    In fairness exceptional Irish weather forecasts in recent times have generally tended to be much ado about nothing. My experience of snowmageddon was just 7-8" of snow which began on a Wednesday and had begun to thaw by the Saturday. Over on the Eastern side of the country my daughter was snowed in by 7-8 foot of snow which hasn't fully gone yet. It was pretty crazy in parts of the country by Irish weather standards.

In fairness exceptional Irish weather forecasts in recent times have generally tended to be much ado about nothing. My experience of snowmageddon was just 7-8" of snow which began on a Wednesday and had begun to thaw by the Saturday. Over on the Eastern side of the country my daughter was snowed in by 7-8 foot of snow which hasn't fully gone yet. It was pretty crazy in parts of the country by Irish weather standards.
    Irish forecasters following in the steps of their US cousins.........

At one time I used to think it was just to keep eyeballs glued to the TV so they could sell more advertising................but look at the other side of the coin, if they fail to hype and people get killed or injured, they get blamed. Hype = Insurance. With global warming increasing both the intensity and frequency of 1 in xxx year events..........

We've had one of the wettest May's on record, with the remnants of Hurricane Albert coming through later in the week.......

Yesterday Ellicott City Md, 20 miles from me, and which has flood prone geography, sits at the bottom of two steep hills, had one person washed away, following a similar in 2016 that lost two.

Pic du jour: While we're enjoying our holiday ...
    Libby Solomon/The Baltimore Sun via AP
    Flash flooding from a massive rainstorm rushes through Main Street yesterday in Ellicott City, Md., just west of Baltimore, 37 miles north of Washington.

• "[L]ocal officials said they were heartbroken to see the community so severely damaged again less than two years after a devastating flood" forced the historic city in Howard County to rebuild much of its Main Street, per AP.
    • Baltimore Sun: "Murky brown water [submerged] cars and businesses’ first floors for nearly two hours. ... The cycle replayed scenes from 2016: customers stranded in restaurants, storefronts destroyed and cars overturned."

Page 112 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113 LastLast