Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 675

Thread: The Supernatural

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grove
    Posts
    3,760

    Default Re: The Supernatural

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post

    "Because now with the electric light they [Ghosts]have nowhere to go."
    I've died briefly many times in my existance. I know what the ''Old Lady'' means by that.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grove
    Posts
    3,760

    Default Re: The Supernatural

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    Its possible Trows are the ghost of that early society and a dim cultural memory along with the leprechauns being maybe the disappeared Fir Bolg when they were eventually killed off by the Tuatha de Dannan (who knows?).
    Remember that the ''Myths'' teach about ''repetitive cycles'' Bearing this in mind who is to say exactly when these repetitive cycles occur?

    Like Revolution i guess. History Life Death and the Thereafter. Are these Myths and legends teaching tools for our future?

    When you spoke of two types of Human species earlier it goes some way to explaining why i can see ''Trow'' and experience things that others can not.

    It is said that only people with second sight can see such things as Trow and have certain gifts/curses [the latter describes the ability to forsee future events, often tragic]

    Wonder what it's like being somone not so susceptable to Other World Forces?
    Last edited by Trow; 31-10-2010 at 01:48 AM.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,412

    Default Re: The Supernatural

    Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    Remember that the ''Myths'' teach about ''repetitive cycles'' Bearing this in mind who is to say exactly when these repetitive cycles occur?

    Like Revolution i guess. And History. Are these Myths and legends teaching tools for our future?

    When you spoke of two types of Human species earlier it goes some way to explaining why i can see ''Trow'' and experience things that others can not.

    It is said that only people with second sight can see such things as Trow and have certain gifts/curses [the latter describes the ability to forsee future events, often tragic]

    Wonder what it's like being somone not so susceptable to Other World Forces?
    Could this possibly come about as the after effect of a nasty mink-bite ?

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grove
    Posts
    3,760

    Default Re: The Supernatural

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Could this possibly come about as the after effect of a nasty mink-bite ?
    No.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: The Supernatural

    Only 21 hous til the gates to the Underworld are opened.. Who would you set free?

    Pinhead from Hellaiser?

    Gregory Peck?

    The Childcatcher fom Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang?

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,044

    Default Re: The Supernatural

    These cultural beliefs are as valid as any church standing in Ireland.

    Trow
    Remember that the ''Myths'' teach about ''repetitive cycles'' Bearing this in mind who is to say exactly when these repetitive cycles occur?

    Like Revolution i guess. History Life Death and the Thereafter. Are these Myths and legends teaching tools for our future?
    And why not? Life itself is circular in that we begin as a baby and barring accident end as little more than one. Our society doesn't understand everything that happens to it or within it. The myths and legends could actually be predictive in one sense in that they always seem to contain justice for wrongs committed, retribution for insult and there is a kind of searching for balance and meaning in them.

    Those physical shapes we give to Trows and other supernatural beings could simply be metaphysical shapes for our deepest concerns in the subconscious. To that end they are as real as fear, love and the other emotions.

    So in a sense they are very real. In fact I would go so far as to say that our own cultural supernatural beings are more appropriate than any gimcrack made-up religion. And its the gimcrack made-up religion which is foreign to our culture that has pointy buildings all over the place.

    At least our legends are definitely our own and belong to us no matter how deep they are hidden.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grove
    Posts
    3,760

    Default Re: The Supernatural

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    These cultural beliefs are as valid as any church standing in Ireland.

    Trow

    And why not? Life itself is circular in that we begin as a baby and barring accident end as little more than one. Our society doesn't understand everything that happens to it or within it. The myths and legends could actually be predictive in one sense in that they always seem to contain justice for wrongs committed, retribution for insult and there is a kind of searching for balance and meaning in them.

    Those physical shapes we give to Trows and other supernatural beings could simply be metaphysical shapes for our deepest concerns in the subconscious. To that end they are as real as fear, love and the other emotions.

    So in a sense they are very real. In fact I would go so far as to say that our own cultural supernatural beings are more appropriate than any gimcrack made-up religion. And its the gimcrack made-up religion which is foreign to our culture that has pointy buildings all over the place.

    At least our legends are definitely our own and belong to us no matter how deep they are hidden.
    I certainly will agree with you in saying that our own cultural beliefs are as valid as any Church standing in Ireland today.

    Evolving Christianity moved the Celts away from their practices. Other World beings such as Trow were seen as Evil/Devilish and many Churches were built on important stone sights considered sacred by the Celts and the Clergy claimed that such stones were thrown there by the Devil to demolish the Churches and of course he always missed the devinely protected buildings.In reality the Church had deliberately built the Churches on the sight of stone monuments to redirect peoples devotions from the latter to the former.

    Today, 31st October All Hallows Eve is a Quarter day known to the Celts as ''Samhain'' were Winter officially begins at Sunset. As the Suns strength wanes the Darkness grows in strength.

    Winter and Spring were seen as related in the same way as Death and Resurrection so today was a day to remember ones ancestors and to celebrate the immortality of the Soul. As on all Quarter days the Spirit World opens.

    Another of these Quarter days in known as ''Beltane'' and got a mention above by Andrew 49. [30th April] when Ghostly occurances took place on the net. Who knows, maybe the Spirit World have found themselves a place to go other than into light bulbs. when the door opens between this World and the other. Celtic Cookie Souls perhaps.

    At Beltane, the Winter Sun dies and the Earth wakes up from its Winter sleep. This describes the Light and the Dark periods mentioned in the link i provided you with earlier in the thread. We are now entering the Dark phase of the Celtic Year. [Samhain]

    I've tried to brush off the Trow with Psychology putting it down to genetic memory to try and explain the encounters away. I'm not the only one to have seen him or know his whereabouts. He's located in an extremely dangerous place to venture if you dont know your way through the Labarinth of trees and tracks along sheer drop cliffs.

    There is a Druids apprentice cave there, little known about and on the roof is two of the three sacred Celtic Symbols. [triskete, triquetra and spiral] So it's fair to suggest that the area is/was of some importance to the Celts.

    A high magic area perhaps. I have learned that i can enter this area safely exactly 40 days after each Quarter day, i will go there and photograph some scenes for this thread.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,044

    Default Re: The Supernatural

    I'd be interested in the symbols if you can... it always made me laugh when I heard the story about the Welsh chap explaining the christian trinity thing in terms of a three leaf shamrock. The number three was very important any way in the pre-christian beliefs in Ireland.

    If you scratch the surface of the awkward christian beliefs which is really only a layer you start to come across the traditional beliefs underneath fairly quickly.

    Puck Fair always a good one with the goat up in the basket. The church has tried to stamp that out without success and have wavered between condemning it as pagan, ignoring it and most recently sending a priesty along to 'bless' it

    Must drive them up the walls down Kerry way.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grove
    Posts
    3,760

    Default Re: The Supernatural

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    it always made me laugh when I heard the story about the Welsh chap explaining the christian trinity thing in terms of a three leaf shamrock. The number three was very important any way in the pre-christian beliefs in Ireland.

    If you scratch the surface of the awkward christian beliefs which is really only a layer you start to come across the traditional beliefs underneath fairly quickly.
    Yes, the power of 3 [trinity, life death and thereafter] helped the Celts to accept Christianity. The story of Christ and how it was related would have made it acceptable/believable given the base around The Father Son and Holy Spirit reflecting what they already believed about mortality, immortality, resourection and so on.

    Gone went Sun and Moon rituals along with burning people in whicker cages and slaughtering virgins.

    Replaced by Clergy to bugger Alter boys and squeal to your RE teacher and the cops all you said in Confession on Saturday mornings.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    your optic nerve
    Posts
    3,029

    Default Re: The Supernatural

    Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    I've asked many people ''Do you believe in the supernatural'' and almost instantly they say no, laugh it off and or ridicul.

    If i ask ''Do you believe in Jesus?'' many will say of course i do.

    I would contend that much surrounding the life and times of Jesus is based on the supernatural such as the rising from the dead, apparant miracles, his coming to being and so on.

    Why then is it that so many people refuse to accept that there are other supernatural beings/events?
    Here's an example of both.

    Howlett mentions sin-eating as an old custom in Hereford, and thus describes the practice: 'The corpse being taken out of the house, and laid on a bier, a loaf of bread was given to the sin-eater over the corpse, also a maga-bowl of maple, full of beer. These consumed, a fee of sixpence was given him for the consideration of his taking upon himself the sins of the deceased, who, thus freed, would not walk after death.'"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin-eater

    And how I found out about it.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-11360659

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: The Supernatural

    Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    I've asked many people ''Do you believe in the supernatural'' and almost instantly they say no, laugh it off and or ridicul.

    If i ask ''Do you believe in Jesus?'' many will say of course i do.

    I would contend that much surrounding the life and times of Jesus is based on the supernatural such as the rising from the dead, apparant miracles, his coming to being and so on.

    Why then is it that so many people refuse to accept that there are other supernatural beings/events?
    You're asking the wrong question, in my opinion.

    What you should be asking is "Why do so many people who are too reasonable and sensible to believe in any other ghosts and ghouls still believe in the patent nonsense that is Christianity?"

    You can put in any other religion instead of Christianity if you prefer, they all come down to the same thing anyway.

  12. #27
    Kev Bar Guest

    Default Re: The Supernatural

    Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    I've asked many people ''Do you believe in the supernatural'' and almost instantly they say no, laugh it off and or ridicul.

    If i ask ''Do you believe in Jesus?'' many will say of course i do.

    I would contend that much surrounding the life and times of Jesus is based on the supernatural such as the rising from the dead, apparant miracles, his coming to being and so on.

    Why then is it that so many people refuse to accept that there are other supernatural beings/events?
    Well Trow. Can I say that I dont believe in the supernatural, I don't believe in Jesus and i sure don't believe in you.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grove
    Posts
    3,760

    Default Re: The Supernatural

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    You're asking the wrong question, in my opinion.

    What you should be asking is "Why do so many people who are too reasonable and sensible to believe in any other ghosts and ghouls still believe in the patent nonsense that is Christianity?"

    You can put in any other religion instead of Christianity if you prefer, they all come down to the same thing anyway.
    I take it you are a non believer then?

    Those who are ''too reasonable and sensible'' to believe either way demand Scientific proof or simply have not encountered a Ghost or Ghoul. [Including Jesus and Satan] both taking on many forms and moving in mysterious ways.

    Seeing is believing although those sensible people would put that down to the eyes or the mind simply playing tricks.

    There will forever be the sceptics/doubters and firm non believers. Just as there will forever be sensible and reasonable people in Science who believe in other world dimensions.

    Time, Space and Relativety.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: The Supernatural

    Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    I take it you are a non believer then?

    Those who are ''too reasonable and sensible'' to believe either way demand Scientific proof or simply have not encountered a Ghost or Ghoul. [Including Jesus and Satan] both taking on many forms and moving in mysterious ways.

    Seeing is believing although those sensible people would put that down to the eyes or the mind simply playing tricks.

    There will forever be the sceptics/doubters and firm non believers. Just as there will forever be sensible and reasonable people in Science who believe in other world dimensions.

    Time, Space and Relativety.
    Heh, you're funny.

    Once you start believing in everything that might possibly be, where does it end?

    Has it occurred to you that your world is filled with beings who could snuff you off the face of the earth, out of existence altogether, never even to have been born. You could disappear in a heartbeat for reasons you could never even comprehend. Same for your friends, your family and everything you know and love.

    It must really suck living with that kind of terror.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grove
    Posts
    3,760

    Default Re: The Supernatural

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Heh, you're funny.

    Once you start believing in everything that might possibly be, where does it end?

    Has it occurred to you that your world is filled with beings who could snuff you off the face of the earth, out of existence altogether, never even to have been born. You could disappear in a heartbeat for reasons you could never even comprehend. Same for your friends, your family and everything you know and love.

    It must really suck living with that kind of terror.
    But sure we all live in that kind of terror everyday. Wars/Genocide. Forces alive today can do all that anyway.

    For me it's not about ''believing'' in what might possibly be. It's about attempting to explain what is.

    I understand you and others will view the existance of say the Trow as a detatchment from reality and i could never convince you of his existance over the net. Just as in the same way you or no-one else will ever convince me that i have never seen one.

    And no it does'nt suck living with that kind of terror once you know how to deal with it. Simple Science bringing in the theory of Realitivity, if you dont want the Trow to get you simply dont be in a certain ''Space'' at a certain ''Time.'' Unless you take protection.

    Take it up with Einstien. Sure if we could time travel we'd all be Ghosts of sorts in other dimensions.
    Last edited by Trow; 31-10-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us