Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Supernatural

Default The Supernatural

I've asked many people ''Do you believe in the supernatural'' and almost instantly they say no, laugh it off and or ridicul.

If i ask ''Do you believe in Jesus?'' many will say of course i do.

I would contend that much surrounding the life and times of Jesus is based on the supernatural such as the rising from the dead, apparant miracles, his coming to being and so on.

Why then is it that so many people refuse to accept that there are other supernatural beings/events?

Default Re: The Supernatural

Most superstitions have a good reason behind them. The monster in the deep dark lake is a calculated story to stop kids messing around near dangerous pools. You shouldn't walk under a ladder because the fella up the top might drop a paint can.

There's a reason for the Jesus myth too. I prefer to respond when people ask me whether I believe in Jesus with a simple question; "Which one?"

"Whaddya mean which one?"

"There were a number of them. There was one in AD66 going by the name of Jesus who was hauled up before the Roman governor in Judea. He was allowed go because he hadn't committed sedition against the Emperor by claiming to be 'King of the Jews'.

There were quite a number apparently.

Always freaks the evangelists out that one.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    Most superstitions have a good reason behind them. The monster in the deep dark lake is a calculated story to stop kids messing around near dangerous pools. You shouldn't walk under a ladder because the fella up the top might drop a paint can.

There's a reason for the Jesus myth too. I prefer to respond when people ask me whether I believe in Jesus with a simple question; "Which one?"

"Whaddya mean which one?"

"There were a number of them. There was one in AD66 going by the name of Jesus who was hauled up before the Roman governor in Judea. He was allowed go because he hadn't committed sedition against the Emperor by claiming to be 'King of the Jews'.

There were quite a number apparently.

Always freaks the evangelists out that one.
    ''Myth and Superstition?'' Not much chance of me convincing you otherwise this Hallows Eve then is there?

Do you know what a ''Trow'' is? [In Celtic Mythology]

No- I like superstitions and myths as its good fun trying to tease out the real reason for them existing. Myths and superstitions have been around for a long time and can be charted to our ability to attempt to reason the world around us- from Fire Gods who live under volcanos to the modern fad among impressionable and confused people to telephone mediums and clairvoyants at a euro per minute

What is a 'Trow'? I haven't heard that one before that I can remember.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

No- I like superstitions and myths as its good fun trying to tease out the real reason for them existing.

What is a 'Trow'? I haven't heard that one before that I can remember.
    I'll link you at the bottom of this post to further reading on ''Trows''

To begin, i know that i could never convince you that such beings exist in this World. Much in the same way the Bible teaches you that just because Jesus/God wont appear for you on demand and that you are ''blessed'' if you just believe.

I've never seen Jesus but i've seen an Old Trow many times in the same place since childhood and went through much of my life not knowing what i was encountering.

Basically a Trow exists in that Other World which is linked to this one at certain times and were you can venture if you know the location of entrances between the two. Remember that when these entrances open Other World beings can travel over to our side and wreck havoc on those who have wronged them in life.

Basically, a Trow exists in the realm of Fairies, elves and the likes. [laughing it off yet?] A Trow kidnaps humans to play fiddle music for them and keeps them for a year and a day. When the poor victim returns, often well rewarded, he/she will have no recollection of the event. Time in their own world will have moved on relitively quicker than that of the one were they have been held captive.

I've been researching them for a while now [for obvious reasons]
    http://myth.bungie.org/legends/relics/celtic.html

http://www.hotspotsz.com/Shetland_fo...cle-6312).html

The Shetlands seem to have very active Trows, interesting to read in that first link about them being banished to Ulster [Ireland]

You may conclude that i'm ''away with the fairies''
    Last edited by Trow; 30-10-2010 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    I've asked many people ''Do you believe in the supernatural'' and almost instantly they say no, laugh it off and or ridicul.

If i ask ''Do you believe in Jesus?'' many will say of course i do.

I would contend that much surrounding the life and times of Jesus is based on the supernatural such as the rising from the dead, apparant miracles, his coming to being and so on.

Why then is it that so many people refuse to accept that there are other supernatural beings/events?
    I remember in the 70s reading a book called Supernature (Lyall Watson) and there were things mentioned in it about pyramids that intrigued me. I was of that age where books like Watson's and Erich Von Daniken's Chariots of the God were regular fare for somebody my age - anyway in Watson's book he stated that you could keep food fresh in a cardboard pyramid far longer than they'd keep in a fridge, also that you could sharpen blunt razor blades by leaving them in this pyramid ... he gave the dimensions that the pyramid must be for these things to happen so I set about building the pyramid - eventually I made 5 and went ahead with the experiments. Mostly the experiments were failures except for the razor blades - I found I was using them longer than before !! Supernatural ?

Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    also that you could sharpen blunt razor blades by leaving them in this pyramid ... he gave the dimensions that the pyramid must be for these things to happen so I set about building the pyramid - eventually I made 5 and went ahead with the experiments. Mostly the experiments were failures except for the razor blades - I found I was using them longer than before !! Supernatural ?
    No, exposure to the air blunts razorblades. [true]

What I'd like to know is what happened at six minutes past three o'clock on the afternoon of Friday, April 30, earlier this year, when there were two thousand, one hundred and thirty-seven people on here? Some kind of paranormal happening ?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Casey View Post
    What I'd like to know is what happened at six minutes past three o'clock on the afternoon of Friday, April 30, earlier this year, when there were two thousand, one hundred and thirty-seven people on here? Some kind of paranormal happening ?
    April 30 is an important date in history:
    313 – Roman emperor Licinius unifies the entire Eastern Roman Empire under his rule.
    1006 – Supernova SN 1006, the brightest supernova in recorded history, appears in the constellation Lupus.
    1838 – Nicaragua declares independence from the Central American Federation.
    1894 – Coxey's Army reaches Washington, D.C. to protest the unemployment caused by the Panic of 1893.
    1927 – The Federal Industrial Institute for Women opens in Alderson, West Virginia, as the first women's federal prison in the United States.
    1937 – The Philippines holds a plebiscite for Filipino women on whether they should be extended the right to suffrage; over 90% would vote in the affirmative.
    1943 – World War II: Operation Mincemeat: The submarine HMS Seraph surfaces in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Spain to deposit a dead man planted with false invasion plans and dressed as a British military intelligence officer.
    1945 – World War II: Fuehrerbunker: Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun commit suicide after being married for one day. Soviet soldiers raise the Victory Banner over the Reichstag building.
    1956 – Former Vice President and Senator Alben Barkley dies during a speech in Virginia. He collapses after proclaiming "I would rather be a servant in the house of the lord than sit in the seats of the mighty."
    1963 – The Bristol Bus Boycott is held in Bristol to protest the Bristol Omnibus Company's refusal to employ Black or Asian bus crews, drawing national attention to racial discrimination in the United Kingdom.
    1973 – Watergate Scandal: U.S. President Richard Nixon announces that top White House aids H.R. Haldeman, John Ehrlichman and others have resigned.
    1975 – Fall of Saigon (or Liberation of Saigon from the Communist perspective): Communist forces gain control of Saigon. The Vietnam War formally ends with the unconditional surrender of South Vietnamese president Duong Van Minh.
    1993 – CERN announces World Wide Web protocols will be free.
    1995 – U.S. President Bill Clinton became the first President to visit Northern Ireland.
    2004 – U.S. media release graphic photos of American soldiers abusing and sexually humiliating Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison.
    2008 – Two skeletal remains found near Ekaterinburg, Russia are confirmed by Russian scientists to be the remains of Alexei Nikolaevich, Tsarevich of Russia and one of his sisters.
    2009 – Chrysler automobile company files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Births
    1933 – Willie Nelson, American musician
    1957 – Aviva Chomsky, American historian, daughter of Noam Chomsky

Deaths
    1982 – Lester Bangs, American music journalist, author, and musician (b. 1949)
    1983 – Muddy Waters, American musician (b. 1915)

2010 – Gerry Ryan, Irish radio broadcaster (b. 1956)
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Thanks Andrew 49. There's always some banal explanation, isn't there?

''Myth and Superstition?'' Not much chance of me convincing you otherwise this Hallows Eve then is there?

Do you know what a ''Trow'' is? [In Celtic Mythology]
    Ah I wouldn't knock mythology at all as I believe its a way of interpreting and giving clues t actual historical events. Told in vivid form and given supernatural cloaks because we were for most of our history a people who had an oral tradition and only started to write them down in the last thousand years or so.

A thousand years sounds a long time to us now but not when you consider the sweep of human history.

I read somewhere that we used to believe that there was an otherworld where our relatives went when they died. When we had encampments rather than towns and villages the dead were buried nearby so that on certain occasions we could interact with them.

Its possible Trows are the ghost of that early society and a dim cultural memory along with the leprechauns being maybe the disappeared Fir Bolg when they were eventually killed off by the Tuatha de Dannan (who knows?).

Equally with what we know of our anthropological human history we now know that two separate branches of home sapiens existed for quite a period (not sure how long) but many tales handed down via the oral tradition and now written could be the vapours of that interaction as far as we know.

I love a story told by a playwright some years ago who spent time at a Traveller camp living with them for research for a play he was writing. He used to notice this old woman looking as if she was going to speak to him and changing her mind on a few occasions. Eventually she spoke to him as he was packing up to go back to Dublin.

"Are you going to write a story?"

"I am, missus," he replied.

"Will there be ghosts in it?"

The surprised playwright asked her whether there should be ghosts in it.

"Yes"

"Why?"

"Because now with the electric light they have nowhere to go."

With that she wandered off.

The other crowd have exactly the same most-users-online date! I hope that Claiming Our Future know that they're going to have to kill RTE "personalities" live on their web site in order to get people's attention. Maybe they could try a pilot for Hallowe'en.

Its possible Trows are the ghost of that early society and a dim cultural memory along with the leprechauns being maybe the disappeared Fir Bolg when they were eventually killed off by the Tuatha de Dannan (who knows?).
    A ghost indeed. I've seen him in 3 forms. Researching old maps i found that in the town were this appears there was once an old street called ''Trow Lane'' it would have lead to were this phenomina takes place today.

A few things the Trow fear are Iron, the mention of their name or the sight of a Bible. Farmers often carry Iron bars when checking cattle in out buildings.

A Celtic protection from them is to make a flint arrowhead and edge it with silver and wear around the neck. It's never worn inside but is hung up at the door.

Much about Celts and Mythology has been lost to time, like you said they were'nt ones to write their history. So much has become folklore.

A ghost indeed. I've seen him in 3 forms. Researching old maps i found that in the town were this appears there was once an old street called ''Trow Lane'' it would have lead to were this phenomina takes place today.

A few things the Trow fear are Iron, the mention of their name or the sight of a Bible. Farmers often carry Iron bars when checking cattle in out buildings.

A Celtic protection from them is to make a flint arrowhead and edge it with silver and wear around the neck. It's never worn inside but is hung up at the door.

Much about Celts and Mythology has been lost to time, like you said they were'nt ones to write their history. So much has become folklore.
    A Google search on Trow brought up: The Fomorians/Tuatha Dé Danaan

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    A Google search on Trow brought up: The Fomorians/Tuatha Dé Danaan
    You'll not find much on the net about encounters with them today. Outside Orkney/shetlands and much information regarding them is scattered.

Brian Day [author] has published a great book ''The Celtic Calendar'' which is a great source of information.

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast