Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 262 Schools On Strike, School Students Tear Gassed, All Refineries Closed in France

Default Re: French workers will have to work until 62 to get big fat pension - Millions Demonstrate

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Yes, I agree with you. There was a very big demonstration last time the Unions called one.
    The unions are disgracefully silent on the numbers of unemployed......I was amazed to see (I can't think of his name) on primetime tonight.

In the 80's they set up centers for the unemployed and were always on about jobs.......

Default Re: French workers will have to work until 62 to get big fat pension - Millions Demonstrate

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    And when was the last time the unions called for a demonstration?

When you see what's going on right now and not so much as an utterance of the word 'union' in the news for months, it's fair to assume they're in on it to their necks.

It seems Irish trade unions are not a 'representation of the workers' but a means of 'crowd control'.
    Union branches could organise independently of the leadership, if they decided to.

Quote Originally Posted by Newsy View Post
    The unions are disgracefully silent on the numbers of unemployed......I was amazed to see (I can't think of his name) on primetime tonight.

In the 80's they set up centers for the unemployed and were always on about jobs.......
    I think the govt were clever to offer them in the form of grants (from FAS- Feck all *****). It was like appeasing them and getting the deal from them in terms of membership votes at the end of the day. You could call it a ' sweeter deal'.

Now they are stuck between a rock and hard place. They are so exposed now re FAS grants as people would now see the link between the union bosses and the Govt.

So far up to now,I can't understand that all the union members haven't called for removal of leadership in their own union/s or put a motion of no confidence in them.

When you see what's going on right now and not so much as an utterance of the word 'union' in the news for months, it's fair to assume they're in on it to their necks.

It seems Irish trade unions are not a 'representation of the workers' but a means of 'crowd control'.
    I know someone who is a shop steward......he went to his union's conference, sometime last year.....it was in Tralee.

He (as well as everyone else attending) was paid by the union for the week......money was thrown around to pay for drink and parties outside the hotel......money appeared to be no object. However, it was used to keep the members quite, during the week.

Half of those attending, turned up, several morning still hung over from the night before.

It was a 'talking/drinking' shop.......but certainly NO ACTION shop.

Quote Originally Posted by disability student View Post
    I think the govt were clever to offer them in the form of grants (from FAS- Feck all *****). It was like appeasing them and getting the deal from them in terms of membership votes at the end of the day. You could call it a ' sweeter deal'.

Now they are stuck between a rock and hard place. They are so exposed now re FAS grants as people would now see the link between the union bosses and the Govt.

So far up to now,I can't understand that all the union members haven't called for removal of leadership in their own union/s or put a motion of no confidence in them.
    Was talking to the same shop steward at the weekend......he maintains that the Croke Park deal is IN PLACE. It won't be touched, according to him.

From his attitude, he wants to hold onto the deal and I imagine he may feel to challenge the leadership of the union, that may come apart.

Was talking to the same shop steward at the weekend......he maintains that the Croke Park deal is IN PLACE. It won't be touched, according to him.

From his attitude, he wants to hold onto the deal and I imagine he may feel to challenge the leadership of the union, that may come apart.
    Your friend is correct. It is happening.

It is truly amazing the number that came out in France.

It would be very valuable to know WHY we aren't out on the streets???

What exactly, is stopping us????

Is it lack of organisation.....lack of motivation!!!!

Personally, I believe it is lack of organisation.......political parties aren't into street demos and the unions are remaining in their box.....

So who else would/could organise such mass demos???
    Not so amazing when you consider that this affects every French worker
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

I laugh at all the talk of the unions when Jack O'Connor was defending FÁS this week. They are part of the problem not part of the solution.

Angry Re: French workers will have to work until 62 to get big fat pension - Millions Demonstrate

Nail on the head there. That's exactly what the union leaderships and partnership agreements have created - a crowd control safety valve mechanism - to make sure real anger never gets focussed and real change is never confronted. The Jack O'Connors and Shay Cody's etc are all in bed with the bosses and the government and don't want to rock the boat - which is why they capitulated in typical style with the Croke Park agreement. It's the best offer on the table, they whimpered. What spineless sell-outs the leaders of the workers movement have become, even in the face of the massive social and economic crisis we've been plunged into.

I only hope Sept 29 might be something of a spark to get the rank and file to give these so-called leaders a good kicking:
    http://www.etuc.org/a/7407

Quote Originally Posted by Aspro View Post
    Nail on the head there. That's exactly what the union leaderships and partnership agreements have created - a crowd control safety valve mechanism - to make sure real anger never gets focussed and real change is never confronted. The Jack O'Connors and Shay Cody's etc are all in bed with the bosses and the government and don't want to rock the boat - which is why they capitulated in typical style with the Croke Park agreement. It's the best offer on the table, they whimpered. What spineless sell-outs the leaders of the workers movement have become, even in the face of the massive social and economic crisis we've been plunged into.

I only hope Sept 29 might be something of a spark to get the rank and file to give these so-called leaders a good kicking:
    http://www.etuc.org/a/7407
    Is there anything organised in Ireland for September 29th ?

ICTU are going to have to have a flame put under their ass. BOZG should be able to give you a report of the coordinating meeting last week.

http://www.politicalworld.org/calend...y=2010-9-2&c=1

Default Re: French workers will have to work until 62 to get big fat pension

Quote Originally Posted by TaxationIsTheft View Post
    All workers? I dont believe that.

What you really mean is all public sector employees. Ill bet workers in the productive sector get no pension at all, unless they save for it. Thats how it is in Ireland.

Workers in the wealth creating sector in Ireland, like Microsoft, Intel, pharma etc get no pension unless they save it themselves. I dont believe France is any different.
    yeah but most private multinationals have voluntary pension/compulsory pension schemes.

Sarkozy has told the unions he won't budge and they are scheduling more extensive demonstrations for 23rd September.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/fre...ge-472764.html

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Sarkozy has told the unions he won't budge and they are scheduling more extensive demonstrations for 23rd September.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/fre...ge-472764.html
    The striking is happening today. The French aren't taking this lying down.

PARIS — French unions stage another day of protests and strikes Thursday, hoping to bring more than two million onto the streets to defy President Nicolas Sarkozy's plan to hike the retirement age from 60 to 62.

Sarkozy, already under attack from the European Union for deporting Roma and from the media over a lingering financial scandal, is facing fierce opposition to his pension reform plans, but says he will press on regardless.

The issue is central to both his reform programme and his personal political survival strategy, with less than two years to go before he seeks re-election.

Between one and three million French workers took to the streets two weeks ago to fight the reforms and now unions are hoping for an even bigger day of demonstrations to keep the right to retire at the age of 60.

But the pension reform bill has already been passed by France's lower house of parliament and will be debated from October 5 by the upper house, the Senate, where it is expected to pass comfortably.

Walkouts will hit schools and transport hardest, with only around one train in two running nationally, although Eurostar services to London and Thalys trains to Brussels are predicted to be normal.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...pVQVNiTffoFLCA
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

I'll be tuning in to France 24 so.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast