Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cork Floods

Default Re: Cork Floods

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    96fm (Cork Radio Station) had the Cllr Culprits on the Radio this week following the handbags of the Council Meeting ... Cllrs O'Callaghan (FG), Barry (SP), O'Leary and Nugent (SF) .... 'twas gas ... O'Callaghan was calling the SFers wimps and crybabies running to the radio telling tales

oh to be a fly on the wall for that one.
    Also if that treatment plant is upgraded by the private sector, presumably the costs to the consumer (us) will be included in the water metering scheme.

UCC versus the ESB. Nobody wins...

A judge, in a significant decision that could cost the Electricity Supply Board millions, has ruled the ESB is 60 per cent liable for flood damage to several buildings on the campus of University College Cork after the floods that affected large parts of Cork city in November 2009.Mr Justice Max Barrett ruled the ESB, as dam operator, was 60 per cent liable in nuisance and negligence while UCC itself was liable for 40 per cent of the damage after finding contributory negligence on its part.
    UCC is seeking damages of some €20m from the ESB while other proceedings arising from damage to other buildings in Cork were awaiting Mr Justice Max Barrett’s judgment, issued today and running to 555 pages.
    A hearing to assess the amount of damages will take place later.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...ions-1.2379471

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    i

The Judge seemed deeply unimpressed by both the ESB for its irresponsibility and UCC for building in places known to be at flood risk.

Serious for the ESB, I would have thought. But sure, they can always put up our bills.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Cork today

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    Cork today

Lessons learnt , job done �� I'm supposed to travel in tomorrow from the Kerry border..literally taking a rain check!

Uh-oh....
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

If only there were some kind of magical water absorbing lifeform that could occupy unneeded vertical space in order to quell the flooding. Alas, no such lifeform seems to exist. Lets continue using concrete and tarmac. Maybe there's a magical threshold in which it ceases to cause flooding once passed?

No... That just doesn't sound right.

Leave it to me, I'm certain I can solve this one.

Quote Originally Posted by yogosan View Post
    If only there were some kind of magical water absorbing lifeform that could occupy unneeded vertical space in order to quell the flooding. Alas, no such lifeform seems to exist. Lets continue using concrete and tarmac. Maybe there's a magical threshold in which it ceases to cause flooding once passed?

No... That just doesn't sound right.

Leave it to me, I'm certain I can solve this one.
    For a small rain-sodden island that is not in a region subject to earthquakes, volcanoes, or similar, Oireland does have a rather odd obsession with with building houses and other structures out of concrete and a rather odd cultural and societal aversion to building 'high-rise' such developments...almost as though it benefits someone...who could it possibly be I wonder...
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234