Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cork Floods

Default Re: Cork Floods

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    No need - water level above the dam at the mo is about as low as it ever gets ... plenty space for retaining unexpected deluges (for a short while anyway)
    I'd guess so. The difference this year is that it was a relatively dry summer whereas last year it p!ssed down unmercifully a lot of the time.

I've just read this and can't actually believe that this is still the case ...

"the wall at Glenville Place, which collapsed during the last flood, has still not been repaired.

She said there was nothing now to prevent the water from the River Lee spilling out on to the streets around the Mercy Hospital and into homes and businesses.

“The big difference between now and last time is none of us have insurance this time to cover any damage caused by a flood,” she added.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/c...#ixzz11tm1xjbR

I assumed this wall was repaired long ago. This was where the water came in and submerged Cork City Centre last November ffs. And it seems that it's not repaired and we have a tidal flood warning which is some 12 months later

The full story is contained above on that link.

This is just unacceptable. I've seen reports elsewhere that there was up to 1 foot of water in some parts of Cornmarket Street aka the Coal Quay this evening (one of the areas mentioned in that article).

This is a joke. Those in charge of this country from the top to the bottom are a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    I've just read this and can't actually believe that this is still the case ...

And it seems that it's not repaired and we have a tidal flood warning which is some 12 months later

This is a joke. Those in charge of this country from the top to the bottom are a joke.
    I can assure you, I drove on the opposite quay during THIS week.....the quay wall by the Mercy Hospital is NOT repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Newsy View Post
    I can assure you, I drove on the opposite quay during THIS week.....the quay wall by the Mercy Hospital is NOT repaired.
    Yeah, someone else has said elsewhere traffic was being diverted away from this area as recently as last week.

Absolute disgrace. If the deluges come in through this breach (and I hope they do not) no doubt the knives will be out but of course no one will be accountable or the blame game of throw it around and not sticking to anyone will surface

This is a pic of the wall area in question where the breach is easily seen (with of course the road submerged under water last November)

The Mercy Hospital is a stone's throw from that breach and is particularily vulnerable as well as the residents around Gratten St and the businesses over towards the Courthouse......

What the corpo have been doing since November, is beyond me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Newsy View Post
    The Mercy Hospital is a stone's throw from that breach and is particularily vulnerable as well as the residents around Gratten St and the businesses over towards the Courthouse......

What the corpo have been doing since November, is beyond me!!!!
    Absolutely!

It beggars belief that a place like this which could fill the whole City Centre with water in adverse conditions/flash flood/whatever the feck could be left in a state of unrepair for nigh on 12 months - with the potential livelihoods of those involved in business, the homes and possessions of others and the potential loss of millions of euro in flood damage on the horizon at any given time

It's just appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Garibaldy View Post
    Tks for that info. That deserves a Thread by itself tho. Appalling if true.

I lived for a few years, just across the harbour from there.

That is an absolute disgrace.

How gormley has avoided this issue, shows that the environment is NOT his priority.

John Jefferies was on the radio in Cork yesterday morning talking about this issue. I think the main parties have kept their heads down about it.

John Jefferies was on the radio in Cork yesterday morning talking about this issue. I think the main parties have kept their heads down about it.
    Did they give any reason ? Funding ?

I didn't hear it, so don't know much more about it to be honest.

Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!

Quote Originally Posted by Fing Fers View Post
    Jeasus the international markets wont like the sound of this.
    I refuse to form an opinion on this until I see what the Tuam Herald has to say about it.

A CITY devastated by a huge flood last year is facing a two-year wait for vital flood defences.

As Cork’s flood victims mark the first anniversary of the disaster today, it has emerged that construction work on downstream defences along the River Lee is unlikely to get under way until well into 2012.

Cork Chamber last night criticised the lack of action by agencies over the last year and called on the Government to tackle the issue.

"While there has been a lot of planning, the agencies and bodies responsible need clear leadership from Government in order to move forward," said chief executive Conor Healy.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...#ixzz15hvjSaXU

THE solicitor advising victims of last year’s devastating Cork flood has called for the establishment of a national dam authority to hold the ESB accountable

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...#ixzz15sSPxqtn

Another Quango?

Don't think the IMF will be sanctioning that one tbh ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast