Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leo Varadkar : Qualified simpleton.

Default Re: Leo Varadkar : Qualified simpleton.

Quote Originally Posted by C Flower View Post
    Yes, it was a little nervous I thought A bit like a schoolchild chancing his arm and saying something bold.

Fitzgerald and Dukes entered the ring over NAMA at a critical moment and knocked the opposition flat. To a large degree because they weren't FF.

Of course, if FG had had any alternative to NAMA that was more than half baked it wouldn't have been such an issue.
    Dukes and Fitzgerald are traitors. Even worse than the FF traitors. Dukes got his payoff very quickly.

Leo is spot on for what he said, as he is only saying what a lot are thinking.

Nobody wants to speak ill of Fitzgerald cos he is now a diddering old fool, but remember, he has a very close relationship with AIB, he had an FF like closeness with them.....

Fergus O'Dowd has said that Varadker should make an apology and withdraw his remarks:
    On his Twitter site last night, Mr O’Dowd wrote: “Leo Varadkar must apologise and withdraw his insulting Dáil comments with regards to Garret FitzGerald, disgraceful.” In other entries on the mini-blogging site, he also praised Dr FitzGerald for his contribution to Irish politics.

“Garret FitzGerald’s vision of social justice and a caring Ireland will be seen as the major reforming force in our time,” said one.

Mr O’Dowd also wrote that the former Fine Gael leader had “attracted thousands of voters to Fine Gael including myself. He was a reforming and caring politician.” Neither Mr O’Dowd nor Mr Varadkar was available for comment last night.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...266938238.html

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    Fergus O'Dowd has said that Varadker should make an apology and withdraw his remarks:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...266938238.html
    Damn straight. Varadkar is an idiot savant. He should hang his head in shame.

Fergus O'Dowd is OUT OF TOUCH

maybe he should move to NYC?
    FF dont play the Irish public for fools, they know them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Damn straight. Varadkar is an idiot savant. He should hang his head in shame.
    What's wrong with having the courage to say what you think.........

About time someone had the balls to say what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Iarmhi Gael View Post

My daughter used to blurt out the first thing that came into her head. She stopped when she was about four.

On the specific matter, despite having never voted for FG I have a great regard for Garret and having thought about it for some time I am of the view that he was the best post war politician that we have had. On the other hand I think that Varadkar is a mouthy little git.

As well as his politics Fitzgerald is also a scholar, was right on Northern Ireland, CJ Haughey, . He was in my opinion one of the first people in the role of Taoiseach who attempted to bring in truly progressive change. And he was also honourable:

"In summary it would appear that in compromising his indebtedness with the Bank, Dr. Fitzgerald disposed of his only substantial asset, namely, his family home at Palmerston Road, a property which would now be worth a considerable sum of money. As in Mr. Haughey’s case, there was a substantial discounting or forbearance shown in Dr. Fitzgerald’s case. However in contrast with Mr. Haughey’s case, Dr. Fitzgerald’s case involved the effective exhaustion of his assets in order to achieve a settlement whereas Mr. Haughey’s assets were retained virtually intact."

He did what he could to settle his debts, in marked contrast to a lot of those going to the courts at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Iarmhi Gael View Post

I think more of brains than balls in my public representatives.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    An interesting thread now. Whatever he is he is definitely no simpleton.

Very calculating I'd say and a completely different approach to Enda with regard to interacting with the media. People seemed to love his interview with Marianne Finnucan a few months back. He's using Twitter etc.

I don't like his politics but he definitely at least gives the impression he knows what he's talking about. Unlike Kenny who any time he opened his mouth sounded like he had learned his lines like a kid from a bad school nativity play.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    An interesting thread now. Whatever he is he is definitely no simpleton.

Very calculating I'd say and a completely different approach to Enda with regard to interacting with the media. People seemed to love his interview with Marianne Finnucan a few months back. He's using Twitter etc.

I don't like his politics but he definitely at least gives the impression he knows what he's talking about. Unlike Kenny who any time he opened his mouth sounded like he had learned his lines like a kid from a bad school nativity play.
    He's a neo-liberal with a hard right agenda.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    He's a neo-liberal with a hard right agenda.
    I know, just saying he has a different approach and image to Kenny.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12