Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Catherine Nevin "The Black Widow"'s Appeal - The Gardai and the Dublin Monaghan Bombings

Default Re: Catherine Nevin "The Black Widow"'s Appeal - The Gardai and the Dublin Monaghan Bombings

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Some people will give out that prisoners are given food and are not hung upside down while having the soles of their feet thrashed.

They are best ignored.
    thats not what im sayin mate.... what im sayin is theese things are always easier for a woman...... if some lad wrote nice stuff like that about yerman reilly that killed the wife all the womens groups would be goin bananas about patriarchys and missigonists....

Default Re: Catherine Nevin "The Black Widow"'s Appeal - The Gardai and the Dublin Monaghan Bombings

Quote Originally Posted by dedogs View Post
    thats not what im sayin mate.... what im sayin is theese things are always easier for a woman...... if some lad wrote nice stuff like that about yerman reilly that killed the wife all the womens groups would be goin bananas about patriarchys and missigonists....
    They didn't need to write stuff. He was let out pronto.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

They didn't need to write stuff. He was let out pronto.
    i dont think your right there mate.... im fairly sure he was done and got the jail for it....

It seems there has been wrongful convictions in Meath before;

Martin Conmey says he drew strength from the release of the Guildford Four in 1989, writes Michael Clifford.

Forty years after he was wrongly convicted of manslaughter, he received an apology from the State.

Mr Conmey was convicted in 1973 of killing 19-year-old Una Lynskey, who had been a friend and neighbour in a tight-knit community outside Ratoath, Co Meath.

In the High Court yesterday, the State “unreservedly apologised” for the wrong done to him in what it accepts was a miscarriage of justice.

“The State regrets the pain and loss experienced by Mr Conmey as a result of his imprisonment and has taken steps to pay appropriate compensation to him,” State’s counsel Shane Murphy told the High Court.

Speaking to the Irish Examiner afterwards, Mr Conmey said he resolved to clear his name after seeing the Guildford Four released in the Old Bailey in 1989 after their convictions for IRA bombings were overturned.

“I’ll never forget that evening,” he said. “My son was only six months old and after seeing Gerry Conlon outside the Old Bailey I went into the kitchen crying, and Anne [his wife] asked me what was wrong. I said I’d clear my name, if not for me, then for my son.”

Ms Lynskey’s body was found in the Dublin Mountains six weeks after she disappeared in October 1971. Three locals, including Mr Conmey, became the focus of a Garda investigation.

Nine days after Ms Lynskey’s body was found, one of the three, Martin Kerrigan, was abducted by two of Ms Lynskey’s brothers. His body was found the next day near the same spot where their sister’s body had been found.

Mr Conmey and the third suspect, Dick Donnolly, were convicted of her manslaughter months after the Lynskeys and their cousin were convicted of Mr Kerrigan’s manslaughter.

The verdict against Mr Donnolly was overturned on appeal, but Mr Conmey spent three years in prison.

After the apology, Mr Conmey said some of his faith in the justice system had been restored.

“The wounds of 40 years take a long time to heal, but it hasn’t sunk it yet,” he said. “I don’t feel how I often imagined I would when I thought about this day coming, but it might just take time.”

Apart from his wife and son, he was accompanied in court yesterday by many of the friends and family, including Mr Donnolly, who stuck by him over the last 45 years.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/s...on-764312.html

Quote Originally Posted by dedogs View Post
    i dont think your right there mate.... im fairly sure he was done and got the jail for it....
    One of them served 6 years and the other 16.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

One of them served 6 years and the other 16.
    in fairness what nevin did was cold!!!!

Funny how no one was ever arrested for carrying out the murder.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Catherine Nevin, still a prisoner after 16 years, has been reported as being moved into palliative care as she has an inoperable brain tumour.

There is something very inconsistent and in my mind wrong about the way she is being treated.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Catherine Nevin, still a prisoner after 16 years, has been reported as being moved into palliative care as she has an inoperable brain tumour.

There is something very inconsistent and in my mind wrong about the way she is being treated.
    sorry mate but **** her in fairness.... she paid for her poor husband to be killed anything she got for that she was askin for....

I think Justice should be tempered with compassion.
    Happiness is an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    I think Justice should be tempered with compassion.
    Is there any logic behind the variable sentences that get served for crimes ?
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Is there any logic behind the variable sentences that get served for crimes ?
    i think the way it goes mate is if you do a thing worse you get a worse sentence like youd get more for givin a lad a hidin and robbin him than for just robbin him without the hidin....

Catherine Nevin died yesterday, Monday 19/2/18.
    At the time of her death she had been incarcerated for 17 years all the time protesting her innocence.

In the year 2000 she was found guilty of her husbands murder following a legal process which polite folk might say was "questionable" and those of us less polite say stank to high heaven.

She had few supporters especially among the press corps who failed miserably to ask the obvious questions that hung over the trial. Instead of staying objective the press enthusiastically led the vilification of the accused for her well groomed appearance and even coined the name "Black Widow" for her.

One has to wonder if the same jury were charged on the bases of the same non-evidence today and in view of the many exposures of corruption by the Garda Síochána would they still find Catherine Nevin guilty. I suspect not.

Catherine Nevin RIP
    Tom Nevin RIP

------------------------

Irish Times:

Catherine Nevin, who became known as “the Black Widow” while on trial accused of murdering her husband, has died from cancer.

The 67-year-old died on Monday night in Dublin’s Mater Hospital, less than five months after being released from a life sentence imposed for Tom Nevin’s March 1996 murder at their pub, Jack White’s, in Co Wicklow.

She spent 17 years in prison after being found guilty in 2000.

Interest in the murder case was so intense that reporting of it saw newspaper columns given over to discussing her clothing choices and other aspects of her appearance, and she was dubbed “the Black Widow”.
    Yes indeed... dubbed "the Black Widow"......by the press!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...ttle-1.3398865

More here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...ence-1.3399075

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678