Thread: We're paid peanuts compared to soccer stars, says Pat Kenny

Default We're paid peanuts compared to soccer stars, says Pat Kenny

Once again Pat Kenny shows that he could not find reality with a Sat Nav:

Top RTE broadcaster Pat Kenny has described the salaries of the station's broadcast stars as "trivial" compared to those paid to footballers.

In an interview with this newspaper, Mr Kenny, who returns to host The Frontline later this month, said that he and his fellow stars were victims of a continuing double standard in the debate over the level of their salaries, which are paid out of licence-fee money.

Kenny, who was paid €950,956 in 2008 and €630,000 last year, rejects the notion that his and other stars' salaries were a result of Celtic Tiger excess.

"Well, I always smile to myself about the salaries issue. Back in the Eighties, Gaybo was earning in real terms more than everyone is earning in RTE now. So the idea that these are on Celtic Tiger rates of pay is not really true."

He said that RTE had to "incentivise" its stars.

"I often wonder why there isn't the same fuss over the salaries paid to footballers like John O'Shea, earning more in three weeks than Marian Finucane earns in a year.

"There is a double standard there. These people put themselves on the line, they entertain the nation week in, week out, and yet they are paid a trivial amount compared to footballers."
    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...y-2325322.html

A couple of reminders for Pat:

1. We can choose not to go to the match and thus not contribute to the player's wages. Even if we dont watch Pat's crap we still have to pay his wages.

2. Clubs pay players big wages because they dont want them to join any of the other clubs who want them. Have we ever had any evidence that anyone else wants Pat?

This man needs to get real. The people of the country cannot afford his pay. If someone else wants him then let him off.

Default Re: We're paid peanuts compared to soccer stars, says Pat Kenny

Well, you can always get rid of your telly and end your contribution to Pat Kenny's wages.

Mind you, RTÉ is buying Premiership footage, so you do contribute to the player's wages.

Having said that, the top players at RTÉ are overpaid in the extreme, not just Pat Kenny.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post
    Have we ever had any evidence that anyone else wants Pat?
    That is the bit that really gets me. No station over in the UK would want a presenter as wooden as Pat. TV3 don't pay the kind of wages that Pat thinks he deserves. He has to look around and realise he is overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by eoinmn View Post
    That is the bit that really gets me. No station over in the UK would want a presenter as wooden as Pat. TV3 don't pay the kind of wages that Pat thinks he deserves. He has to look around and realise he is overpaid.
    Exactly, supply and demand should play a role in wages so why not in Pat's case.

Soccer stars wages come from many different markets while Pat hits just one market for his.

Would life not be great if we were given a choice of who we wanted on our airwaves, Not only am i disgruntled that I have to pay Pat kennys wages but i have also been told that I have to found ryan tubs wages as part of his move to 2fms prime slot.

its not just me who is not a fan ,but i have yet to hear anyone say anything positive about either on the radio .I am sure there would be a queue around the block twice if these jobs were to come up at a quarter of the wages they command. perhaps we would get some serious competition ,maybe even some quality TV and radio....Think i will write to Joe duffy ...peanuts Baaaah

It makes no bloody difference what Soccer players are paid and whether it's obscene or not - and to honest what they are paid is obscene

The matter concerns what these Broadcasters are paid and they are paid far too much and the salaries they receive are obscene - and nothing Kenny says justifies such salaries

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

"If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.