Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Coulson Scandal - Cameron's Media Advisor + NotW Involved in Extensive Hacking /Milly Dowler's Phone Hacked After Her Murder

Default Coulson Scandal - Cameron's Media Advisor + NotW Involved in Extensive Hacking /Milly Dowler's Phone Hacked After Her Murder

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...ng-allegations

http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehou...ht-again.thtml

The British media apart from the Guardian are quiet on this huge scandal. The New York Times has made all the running on this.

Coulson, Cameron's media advisor is implicated in working, with apparent collusion by Scotland Yard, in massive amounts of hacking and bugging.

Coulson, who resigned as editor of the News of the World in January 2007 after its royal correspondent was jailed for intercepting voicemail messages, has always insisted that he had no knowledge of illegal activity when he edited the paper or at any time as a journalist. He told a Commons select committee last year: "I have never had any involvement in it at all."

The New York Times website published a trail to a story due to appear in its Sunday magazine. It made detailed allegations likely to bring intense new pressure on Coulson and the Metropolitan police force, which stands accused of favouring Rupert Murdoch's newspaper group by cutting short its investigation, withholding crucial evidence from prosecutors and failing to inform victims of the newspaper's crimes against them. Coulson declined to comment on the allegations. The News of the World and Scotland Yard have denied all the charges.

Coulson resigned after the imprisonment of his royal reporter, Clive Goodman, and a private investigator, Glenn Mulcaire, for "hacking" into the voicemail messages of eight public figures. When the Guardian revealed last year that the scandal involved other journalists at the paper and numerous other victims, Coulson said he had nothing to add to earlier denials of involvement, and the Conservative leader stood by him. David Cameron said: "I believe in giving people a second chance."
    The extent to which this is or was a State operation is unclear.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 08-07-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Default Re: The Coulson Scandal - Cameron's Media Advisor and NoW Involved in Extensive Hacking / Bugging

The silence on this is deafening in the UK.

http://liberalconspiracy.org/2010/09...ace-new-suits/

There's a brilliant time-line here from the New York Times - click on the arrow, top right.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-timeline.html

The essentials are - 1000s of peoples' voicemails hacked by Murdoch-owned tabloid newspaper - police intervene but people aren't informed - Former Editor of the paper promoted to communications head by Cameron, Prime Minister.

Default Re: The Coulson Scandal - Cameron's Media Advisor and NoW Involved in Extensive Hacking / Bugging

This scandal is rumbling on - MPs phones were hacked and the police didn't even tell them that it had happened.

There are at least 3,000 people in this position. The police are saying it would have been too expensive to follow up.

The people of the Press seem to be routinely breaking the law to get information.

Channel 4 Dispatches - just demonstrated how Celebs phones were hacked - and why you should always have a security code on your phone.

Coulson is shown to have listened to hacked calls.

Thousands bugged and stories bought from the police.

But only the Guardian have reported this and the rest of the press has kept quiet -

"Fleet Street Code of Omerta" in action.

The Press Council report is said to have been a "rotten apple" whitewash.

A picture emerged of politicians being frightened of the Press, and the Press having dossiers on thousands of people, containing illegally maintained information.

George Galloway is taking them to Court for hacking and will not settle out of Court and will force Coulson and others into Court.

Coulson has now resigned from his Downing Street job but there are more reports of phone hacking across more newspapers - this might explain why there was so little reportage of this scandal.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/new...ns-490407.html

The Guardian got their scalp.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Finally, after months and months. Lord have mercy. And how long did it take no 10 under Bliar to get rid of Ali Campbell??

Puting tabloid hacks in charge of the "Ministry of Truth" is really a bit close to the bone and should be banned. Did even Joe Goebbels stoop that low??

Urrgghh, the Westminster machine still gets my goat

The Guardian might collect another few scalps.

In the last four weeks the Met officers have approached Surrey police and taken formal statements from some of those involved in the original inquiry, who were concerned about how News of the World journalists intercepted – and deleted – the voicemail messages of [murdered schoolgirl] Milly Dowler.

The messages were deleted by journalists in the first few days after Milly's disappearance in order to free up space for more messages. As a result friends and relatives of Milly concluded wrongly that she might still be alive. Police feared evidence may have been destroyed.

Missing Milly Dowler's voicemail was hacked by News of the World

Especially Brooks's scalp.

The disclosure that Milly Dowler's voicemail was hacked may refocus scrutiny on the chief executive of News International, Rebekah Brooks.

Most of the evidence that officers of the Yard's Operation Weeting are studying, deals with the News of the World's activity during 2005 and 2006, by which time Brooks had left the paper to edit the Sun. But the Dowler episode happened on her watch – and it is not the only incident that has made her a person of interest for the inquiry.

Milly Dowler phone hacking: former editor in spotlight

It's even suggested that it might affect Murdoch's strategy of moving away from print and into digital - it won't of course.

Former deputy prime minister Lord Prescott said on Twitter that he will write to culture secretary Jeremy Hunt demanding that he block News Corp's bid to take full control of pay-TV company BSkyB following the revelations about Dowler.

He tweeted: "The hacking of Milly Dowler's phone by Murdoch's News of the World proves once and for all he is not a fit and proper person to own BSkyB."

Milly Dowler phone hacking: Politicians hit out over revelations

Murdoch's success in Ireland has been extraordinary - and quite revealing about the stupidity of the Irish, as if another example were needed. The Sun's attitude towards the Birmingham Six was that they should have been strung up years ago - before their acquittal, obviously. However we Irish have always had a "write a letter now and then and send us what you can" attitude towards our emigrants. So nothing Murdoch said about them impaired his income from Ireland.

Murdoch's media interests in Ireland were firmly behind Fianna Fáil and all that that entailed. Yet many Irish journalists who write for his various propaganda sheets are quite highly regarded and form a cosy axis with RTÉ through appearance on various "panels". They're clearly to be neither trusted nor respected. Sold to the highest bidder.

Underpinning it all is the biggest shower of amadáns - the subscribers to Murdoch's Sky TV service. It's Murdoch's most lucrative Irish operation – people actually pay to fund the lies and deceit. You can always tell these idiots - they're the ones full of faux indignation who think that they are informed and insist on braying their worthless opinions. They really haven't a clue. I'm not saying that we should cull these fools and harvest their organs... but there are a lot of people waiting for transplants...
    Last edited by Justin Casey; 05-07-2011 at 02:18 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Casey View Post
    The Guardian might collect another few scalps.

In the last four weeks the Met officers have approached Surrey police and taken formal statements from some of those involved in the original inquiry, who were concerned about how News of the World journalists intercepted – and deleted – the voicemail messages of [murdered schoolgirl] Milly Dowler.

The messages were deleted by journalists in the first few days after Milly's disappearance in order to free up space for more messages. As a result friends and relatives of Milly concluded wrongly that she might still be alive. Police feared evidence may have been destroyed.

Missing Milly Dowler's voicemail was hacked by News of the World

Especially Brooks's scalp.

The disclosure that Milly Dowler's voicemail was hacked may refocus scrutiny on the chief executive of News International, Rebekah Brooks.

Most of the evidence that officers of the Yard's Operation Weeting are studying, deals with the News of the World's activity during 2005 and 2006, by which time Brooks had left the paper to edit the Sun. But the Dowler episode happened on her watch – and it is not the only incident that has made her a person of interest for the inquiry.

Milly Dowler phone hacking: former editor in spotlight

It's even suggested that it might affect Murdoch's strategy of moving away from print and into digital - it won't of course.

Former deputy prime minister Lord Prescott said on Twitter that he will write to culture secretary Jeremy Hunt demanding that he block News Corp's bid to take full control of pay-TV company BSkyB following the revelations about Dowler.

He tweeted: "The hacking of Milly Dowler's phone by Murdoch's News of the World proves once and for all he is not a fit and proper person to own BSkyB."

Milly Dowler phone hacking: Politicians hit out over revelations

Murdoch's success in Ireland has been extraordinary - and quite revealing about the stupidity of the Irish, as if another example were needed. The Sun's attitude towards the Birmingham Six was that they should have been strung up years ago - before their acquittal, obviously. However we Irish have always had a "write a letter now and then and send us what you can" attitude towards our emigrants. So nothing Murdoch said about them impaired his income from Ireland.

Murdoch's media interests in Ireland were firmly behind Fianna Fáil and all that that entailed. Yet many Irish journalists who write for his various propaganda sheets are quite highly regarded and form a cosy axis with RTÉ through appearance on various "panels". They're clearly to be neither trusted nor respected. Sold to the highest bidder.

Underpinning it all is the biggest shower of amadáns - the subscribers to Murdoch's Sky TV service. It's Murdoch's most lucrative Irish operation – people actually pay to fund the lies and deceit. You can always tell these idiots - they're the ones full of faux indignation who think that they are informed and insist on braying their worthless opinions. They really haven't a clue. I'm not saying that we should cull these fools and harvest their organs... but there are a lot of people waiting for transplants...
    This is a particularly gruesome example of the depths that commercial press goes to. However, the press is historically owned lock stock and barrel by private interests, or else if the "State" opinion-manipulating dross that is intended to keep us all comatose.

Which is the "clean" journalism from which people can get their information, in your view ? I get mine where every I can. check it however I can, and keep a very sceptical head on me when I'm reading/viewing it. But it is still a source of information, whether we like the people who produce it or not.

Default Maidir Le: Coulson Scandal - Cameron's Media Advisor + NoW Involved in Extensive Hacking /Milly Dowler's Phone Hacked After H

Soham parents too apparently. Paper should be shut down tbh.
    Definitely perverting the course of justice here.

Default Maidir Le: Coulson Scandal - Cameron's Media Advisor + NoW Involved in Extensive Hacking /Milly Dowler's Phone Hacked After H

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Which is the "clean" journalism from which people can get their information, in your view ? I get mine where every I can. check it however I can, and keep a very sceptical head on me when I'm reading/viewing it. But it is still a source of information, whether we like the people who produce it or not.
    In a speech in 1931, Conservative politician Stanley Baldwin attacked the press barons of the day, Aitken (Daily Express) and Harmsworth (Daily Mail and Daily Mirror) describing their publications as "propaganda for the constantly changing policies, desires, personal wishes, personal likes and dislikes of two men" by means of "direct falsehood, misrepresentation, half-truths". He ended by quoting Kipling in saying that "what the proprietorship of these papers is aiming at is power, but power without responsibility - the prerogative of the harlot throughout the ages". Sound familiar?

My first lesson about the media came from my grandmother, who had received little formal education. She described journalists a “penny-a-line men”. (She also described the Free State as “a lick of green paint”, a view that wasn’t on the syllabus while I was in receipt of a “better” education.)

To me, the major media outlets behave exactly like camp followers who accompanied armies. Camp followers provided soldiers with services such as extra rations, liquor and prostitutes. After battles, the same camp followers would kill the wounded left on the battlefield and rob all the corpses. The media that follow political parties, celebrities or “causes” are just as fickle and vicious. They’ll provide the wherewithal to pursue a campaign, but beware. Murdoch’s odious media are strong on faux outrage of the flog ‘em, hang ‘em variety. Yet his gang literally ended up looting the possessions of a murdered schoolgirl while her body lay abandoned and unburied.

People are outraged by this. It’s the same sense of outrage that has often been carefully nurtured by Murdoch. People were outraged by Fianna Fáil, which was supported by Murdoch. Part of the outrage is that they may no longer be able to afford a Sky TV subscription. It’s almost like Stockholm Syndrome, but it’s just the syndrome known as stupidity. There’s no difference in agenda between Sky, the News of the World or The Sunday Times. People are so poorly educated that they cannot make these connections for themselves. They don’t want to anyway – it might impinge on the comforts of their “lifestyle”.

The bombardment of mass media has left us addicted to the Latest Thing, which is a momentary phenomenon because here comes the next Latest Thing. As the LulzSec “manifesto” put it “this is the Internet, where we screw each other over for a jolt of satisfaction”. Which is funny because it’s true and also because this isn’t the Internet, it’s the Worldwide Web. The more we know, the less we understand.

It doesn’t really matter if you “like” a source of information or not. (I’m surprised that Facebook hasn’t attempted to copyright that particular expression by now.) It’s important to remember that, as another press baron, Harmsworth’s Dublin-born brother Alfred (The Times) said, journalism is “a profession whose business is to explain to others what it personally does not understand”. It’s all about advertising, shareholders and the proprietor’s agenda. You’re only reading what you’re reading because somebody got paid a “penny a line”.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Casey View Post
    People are outraged by this.
    If people are genuinely outraged by this they should stop buying The News of the World. And I mean stop for ever.

If people are genuinely outraged The News of the World has only days left before it goes under.

Chances are though, people are only having their daily rant and after a bit of bitching and whinging it will all blow over and the vile rag and the vermin who profited from these criminal acts will thrive.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast