Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: All Judicial Appointments in Ireland Are Political

Kev Bar Guest

Default Re: (former) Political Links of the Judiciary

Is this where I have to fess up my Da's is a (retired) judge before I am dragged out and summarily executed - having being found 'guilty' before a people's court.
    There again I am i guilty of so much.....

Only if he was approved by The Cumman.... you seem very worried about witchhunts Kev- there are specific queries about specific events on the thread.

No-one has said that all judges are beholden to The Cumman... as an aside what have you got against witchhunts anyway? They are very therapeutic.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    Only if he was approved by The Cumman.... you seem very worried about witchhunts Kev- there are specific queries about specific events on the thread.

No-one has said that all judges are beholden to The Cumman... as an aside what have you got against witchhunts anyway? They are very therapeutic.
    I'm a bit confused on the topic of the thread. The OP listed some judges who had stood as candidates for political parties.
    All judges are effectively political appointees.

So what is the focus here ?

The system...
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

I wouldn't go that far but if you are asking whether she was appointed I would say yes, in 2002 to the circuit court.

Extracted from oireachtas record ..

Circuit Court

Her Hon. Judge Mary Faherty
    His Hon. Judge Alan Mahon
    His Hon. Judge Gerald Keys
    Her Hon. Judge Patricia Ryan
    Her Hon. Judge Miriam Reynolds Buckley
    His Hon. Judge James O’Donohoe
    Funny he did not call her

Her Hon. Judge Mrs. Brian Lenihan
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Motivation is not relevant ... and in Ireland religious and political motivation have always been closely intertwined. In the civil service as well as everywhere else.
    It's entirely relevant, in fact it's central.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    If we're heading to the child abuse issue, there's a thread on the back shelf in which someone raised the question of how different parties approached child sex abuse.
    It would be better imo to revive that thread for that discussion and keep this one on topic.
    We're not getting into the detail of the matter, we're just discussing whether the mishandling by officers of the state amounted to evidence of political bias.

Perhaps we should look at it this way- how many judges and senior civil servants are members of Opus Dei or the Knights of Columbanus?

Perhaps we should look at it this way- how many judges and senior civil servants are members of Opus Dei or the Knights of Columbanus?
    Religious organisations, not political.

This thread is about political links, if you have an interest in religious links maybe you should start a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    We're not getting into the detail of the matter, we're just discussing whether the mishandling by officers of the state amounted to evidence of political bias.
    There's a specific thread on that here alreadly.

In fairness to the OP, he started the thread to list Judges with direct links to political parties as candidates etc.

Is Brian Lenihan's wife really a judge ??

Lets take it back to political then and at the same time give you a clear example of what I'm referring to..

The Attorney General of Ireland was sidelined by a former Minister Michael Woods who agreed an 'indemnity' with the catholic church represented by a delegation of nuns. That deal which would have seen the church pay 63million euros and the state pay over 1billion was informed, as the Minister is on record as saying at the time, by his 'catholicism'.

That is a clear example of the judiciary being sidelined by the politician in Ireland. Not in the 1950's either- this was just eight years ago.

The Minister involved is still a TD. I've already shown you where a High Court Judge resigned from a national commission saying straight out that the 'Dept of Education' was holding the bulk of files on abuse cases and she was resigning in protest at the refusal to cooperate with her inquiry by public servants within the Dept.

If you are under the merry illusion that the judicial process in Ireland is unaffected by politics or politicians then you are less than informed.

I am sure you are aware of all this- and to come back to the thread subject in another oblique fashion these events as described are not in dispute- they are historical fact and you wishing for some other situation will not change that.

There's a specific thread on that here alreadly.

In fairness to the OP, he started the thread to list Judges with direct links to political parties as candidates etc.

Yes- Patrician Ryan.... Lenihan outlined judicial appointments in response to a question about such appointments in 2002, and its in the oireachtas record, reading a list of names including Patrician Ryans' name in the process. I'm not suggesting any wrongdoing either by him or by his wife- I pointed it out to show the po-faced pretence of politics in Ireland.

She really is

Personal Details

Born Dublin May 1959. Married to Patricia Ryan, one son, one daughter.
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/brian-lenihan/
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Extracted from oireachtas record ..

'Question Posed By: Deputy Charles Flanagan
    Subject: Judicial Appointments
    Date: 04 March 2008
    Question Number: 482

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Brian Lenihan): The persons appointed to the District Court, Circuit Court, High Court and Supreme Court each year since 1995 to date in 2008 are as follows:

Supreme Court
    The Hon. Mr. Justice Brian McCracken *
    High Court
    The Hon. Mr. Justice Henry Abbot
    The Hon. Mr. Justice Eamon de Valera
    The Hon. Ms. Justice Mary Finlay Geoghegan
    The Hon. Mr. Justice Michael Peart
    The Hon. Mr. Justice Barry White
    Circuit Court
    Her Hon. Judge Mary Faherty
    His Hon. Judge Alan Mahon
    His Hon. Judge Gerald Keys
    Her Hon. Judge Patricia Ryan
    Her Hon. Judge Miriam Reynolds Buckley
    His Hon. Judge James O’Donohoe
    District Court
    Judge Geoffrey Browne
    Judge Bryan Smyth
    Judge Anne Watkin
    Judge Cormac Dunne
    Judge John Coughlan

While the ultimate decision as to who should be recommended to the President for appointment to judicial office rests with the Government, the Government’s practice has been, since the establishment of the Judicial Appointments Advisory Board (JAAB), to recommend only persons who have been recommended as suitable for appointment to judicial office by the JAAB. The Act requires that where appointments are made on a recommendation of the Board notice of that fact shall be published in Iris Oifigiúil. The provisions of section 16 of the Courts and Court Officers Act 1995 — dealing with the submission of names to the Minister by the JAAB — do not apply where the Government proposes to advise the President to appoint to judicial office a person who is already a judge of the High Court, Circuit Court, District Court or who is eligible for appointment to the Supreme Court or the High Court by virtue of their membership of a specified international court. Persons so appointed are indicated by an asterisk (*) in the above list. The appointment of a judge of the High Court as Chairperson of the Commission to inquire into Child Abuse was on the basis directly of a nomination by the Government.'

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post

I'm sure she's fully qualified and was appointed on her merit. Not so sure about her husband though.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast