Thread: NAMA and the funding of the Vatican

Question NAMA and the funding of the Vatican

NAMA-BOUND property developers Derek Quinlan, Treasury Holdings' Johnny Ronan, Ballymore Properties' Sean Mulryan and Paddy McKillen, one of the so called "Anglo 10", have all emerged as major donors to the Vatican.

The Patrons of the Arts in the Vatican Museums published recently reveals that these troubled property developers provided 'financial support' for the restoration of the historic Pauline Chapel in the Vatican Museum. Fellow donors included former Anglo Irish bank chairman Sean FitzPatrick and the controversial former boss of Irish Nationwide Michael Fingleton. Other donors included Digicel owner Denis O'Brien and William Bollinger, the Irish co-founder of the €3bn Egerton Capital Hedge Fund. Close to €9m was raised from donors for the restoration project. The donors were given special medallions after a private mass in the Pauline chapel, celebrated by Cardinal Lajolo last July. Solid gold 'Michelangelo' medallions were given to donors who had given more than $1m, with silver 'Raphael' medallions for donors of $500,000 plus. 'Bramante' medals were presented to donors of $250,000 or more. A marble plaque listing the names of all 26 donors, including the Irish builders and bankers, was unveiled in the chapel.

SOURCE

LINK
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Default Re: NAMA and the funding of the Vatican

Alot about nothing though really isn't it. Rich people tend to have various pretenses which can only be satisfied by having their name attached to a plaque. One only need stroll through any of our universities to realise this fact.

Exclamation Re: NAMA and the funding of the Vatican

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    Alot about nothing though really isn't it. Rich people tend to have various pretenses which can only be satisfied by having their name attached to a plaque. One only need stroll through any of our universities to realise this fact.
    Sorry but I couldn't get the following into the title of the thread.

Irish people (linked to corruption and economic sabotage) contribute to a homophobic, misogynistic and criminally secretive organisation which has facilitated the rape of children on four continents.
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

To put up a plaque with the names of all the abusing clergy would require more space than exists in the confines of the Vatican State.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    To put up a plaque with the names of all the abusing clergy would require more space than exists in the confines of the Vatican State.
    Its really a separate issue though isn't it. There is a conflation of issues here which doesn't really make sense. Rich people have egos which they like to massage by having their name associated with things. They do so because they want to have a legacy beyond the grave. As I said, wander around any university and you will see hundreds of examples. These days our universities do not name buildings or institutes after famous alumni but rather whoever will pay the most to have their name etched above the door.

This is an entirely separate issue to abuse. Not everything in the Vatican or the Catholic Church relates to abuse. Whilst not doubting the sincerity of your comment, which I fully agree with and I have a rather large disdain towards the Vatican, I do think it is important not to erroneously conflate issues. This is an example of eijits with more money than sense and not alot else.

Andrew (slightly off topic) is that your fine self in your avatar?
    FF dont play the Irish public for fools, they know them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ZANU-FF View Post
    Andrew (slightly off topic) is that your fine self in your avatar?
    God no, that's the late Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones.

NAMA-BOUND property developers Derek Quinlan, Treasury Holdings' Johnny Ronan, Ballymore Properties' Sean Mulryan and Paddy McKillen, one of the so called "Anglo 10", have all emerged as major donors to the Vatican.

The Patrons of the Arts in the Vatican Museums published recently reveals that these troubled property developers provided 'financial support' for the restoration of the historic Pauline Chapel in the Vatican Museum. Fellow donors included former Anglo Irish bank chairman Sean FitzPatrick and the controversial former boss of Irish Nationwide Michael Fingleton. Other donors included Digicel owner Denis O'Brien and William Bollinger, the Irish co-founder of the €3bn Egerton Capital Hedge Fund. Close to €9m was raised from donors for the restoration project. The donors were given special medallions after a private mass in the Pauline chapel, celebrated by Cardinal Lajolo last July. Solid gold 'Michelangelo' medallions were given to donors who had given more than $1m, with silver 'Raphael' medallions for donors of $500,000 plus. 'Bramante' medals were presented to donors of $250,000 or more. A marble plaque listing the names of all 26 donors, including the Irish builders and bankers, was unveiled in the chapel.

SOURCE

LINK
    Absolutely disgusting.

A bunch of money crazed scammers trying to buy respectability from an organisation which has had a policy of protecting sexual abusers of children.

Jesus, what next!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Newsy View Post
    Absolutely disgusting.

A bunch of money crazed scammers trying to buy respectability from an organisation which has had a policy of protecting sexual abusers of children.

Jesus, what next!!!!

Somebody in the Vatican editted out information from Gerry Adams' Wiki that linked him to a double killing in Belfast.
    Not that Gerry is in any way linked to the protection of paedophiles or anything.
    "Do not be misled by the promises of politicians. Remember that the whole history of Ireland is a record of betrayals by politicians and statesmen, and remembering this, spurn their lying promises and stand up for a United Ireland - an Ireland broad based upon the union of Labour and Nationality." - James Connolly.

SOURCE

LINK
    Indulgences, buying your way into Heaven is a well known approach.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpuYoK6wv_Y"]YouTube- Priest Off[/ame]
    "Do not be misled by the promises of politicians. Remember that the whole history of Ireland is a record of betrayals by politicians and statesmen, and remembering this, spurn their lying promises and stand up for a United Ireland - an Ireland broad based upon the union of Labour and Nationality." - James Connolly.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    Its really a separate issue though isn't it. There is a conflation of issues here which doesn't really make sense. Rich people have egos which they like to massage by having their name associated with things. They do so because they want to have a legacy beyond the grave. As I said, wander around any university and you will see hundreds of examples. These days our universities do not name buildings or institutes after famous alumni but rather whoever will pay the most to have their name etched above the door.

This is an entirely separate issue to abuse. Not everything in the Vatican or the Catholic Church relates to abuse. Whilst not doubting the sincerity of your comment, which I fully agree with and I have a rather large disdain towards the Vatican, I do think it is important not to erroneously conflate issues. This is an example of eijits with more money than sense and not alot else.
    I'd imagine though that the only people seeing these 'etchings', and being 'inspired' by them, would be 'wannabee immortals' ? After all don't birds of a feather flock together.

You would be surprised what can keep the egos of these guys going, Andrew. One suspects they have read Andrew Carnegie's On Wealth and grossly misunderstood it.