Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Threat To Cripple Windows XP ... from Microsoft!

Default Re: Threat To Cripple Windows XP ... from Microsoft!

Quote Originally Posted by People Korps View Post
    Windows 7 is fine but messing with people who dont want to upgrade or cant afford to is a criminal act.
    nobody is forced to upgrade to windows 7 yet, it is fairly normal that a manufacturer does no longer support an obsolete operating system, such as XP SP2, just apply Service Pack 3 and you're fine for another few years. Canonical does it with their popular Linux distro as well, unless you're using a LTS (long term support) release, your OS is obsolete after 6 month and it will no longer patched with updates. of course it will continue to work just fine and by no means is it crippled. same goes for Windows XP, it is not that Microsoft will push some mysterious button and gone is your operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that Macs are superior to PCs.
    Your superiority is duly noted, now can we get on with the matter at hand?
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 05-08-2010 at 11:17 PM.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Ubuntu here.

Microsoft has always done this. It's the only way to make people want to buy their crap. Inbuilt backward compatibility issues (WORD, for example - regular users of this must update regularly so they can read new stuff, of course they lose the ability to read old stuff or it becomes a really time consuming and complex task to do so). Bloat - most of the data used in Microsoft products is pure fat, designed to either spy on you, slow you down or just make the product bigger and thus justifying its daylight robbery price tag. There's no need for me to go into the reliability of the operating system, it brings everyone to tears of rage at some point and it brings these tears to most of them regularly.

Folks will stick to their Windoze XP rather than be forced to upgrade (the world learns, slowly but surely). That hardly goes to say that XP is any good mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Seán Ryan View Post
    Inbuilt backward compatibility issues (WORD, for example - regular users of this must update regularly so they can read new stuff, of course they lose the ability to read old stuff or it becomes a really time consuming and complex task to do so)
    true that, but then, nobody is forced to use MS Office, free and/or open source alternatives are plenty (if you don't care about certain compatibility issues).

Bloat - most of the data used in Microsoft products is pure fat, designed to either spy on you, slow you down or just make the product bigger and thus justifying its daylight robbery price tag.
    Not so true, XP for example is significantly smaller than your average modern Linux distribution (incl. Ubuntu), but then XP is almost 10 years old. And if you're versed in OS customization, it's no big deal either to trim Windows 7 down in size to make Ubuntu look like the bloat you are talking about.

And there are ways to silent any Windows OS, although you may not be eligible to certain updates if you knock off WGA, but that's a different story, I certainly do not agree with treating your customers like potential criminals.

There's no need for me to go into the reliability of the operating system, it brings everyone to tears of rage at some point and it brings these tears to most of them regularly.
    Well, i have a few Windows machines running 24/7 for months without any hiccups, just as reliable as my Linux computer. the vast majority of 'reliablility issues are to be blamed on the user and the lack of proper maintenance. It is no secret that Linux users in general are more computer literate than your average Windows customer, so this not really a surprise. If these users would change to Linux there would be the very same tears if not more as Linux is just not as beginner friendly compared to what they're used to. the switch to Linux requires the will to learn, and most folks simply couldn't be bothered (believe me, i have tried).

Of course, Microsoft is the big bully and their policy is most despicable, but you have to be realistic and tr0llish wording like threats, cripple or tears have yet to win anyone over to try Linux.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

There's no disagreeing with you about bloat. Ubuntu has way too much of it and it gets worse with each release. When compared to an OS like 'Puppy Linux,' which weighs in at about 20Mb, one gets an appreciation for the issues surrounding bloat. Puppy has a word processor, an internet browser, an email package and tons of other stuff and it all runs in memory which facilitates your computer doing what you tell it to do when you tell it.

I wasn't trying to win folks over to Linux. Linux can do that for itself. I have a love hate relationship with microsoft. I owe my love of computers to microsoft. I learnt BASIC on my Commodore Vic 20 and BASIC was one of Microsoft's early triumphs. My words were not intended to tr0ll, they were a genuine description of how I feel and think. I've been that grown man, on many occasions, tears in my eyes as I stared at my system in disbelief and with homicidal inclinations. I'd concede that lots of problems are caused by user inexperience or lack of knowledge. However, the user cannot be blamed exclusively for this. With each new generation of OS, Microsoft renames, places in different menus, the tools that users have become somewhat familiar with. On top of that, Microsoft concedes very little control of the operating system to the user and what little is ceded is hidden in complexity and jargon, even simple tasks become bloated monstrosities. On top of this, one must add the obvious, a lot of problems are not user generated. Bad shutdowns, bad layering of software packages (installing software that changes OS settings and thus kills other installed software) and intermittent faults that develop and get progressively worse over time, confound inexperienced users and the fact that Microsoft regularly blames its users for its problems doesn't help either.

i was referring to such scaremongering articles of the likes "MS is threaten to cripple your operating system if you don't upgrade" when nothing could be further from the truth, they have pulled the plug for support for XP sp2, the last (and most certainly final) major update was rolled out 2 years ago. ending support for the previous service pack is, at best, a gentle reminder to update your current operating system to service pack 3, certainly nothing to be worried about.

not making IE9 available for users of windows xp is a different story altogether, but not the end of the world either. as i wrote in a previous post, chances are that this move will backfire rather than make people wanting to upgrade to windows 7, as there are even more browser alternatives today as there were in the days of windows 2000 and IE7, never mind the far greater user base of Windows XP, so MS will probably loose even more clients for their web browser. of course windows 7 is on every new OEM computer, but in times like this folks feel more inclined to hang on to their old clunkers rather than buying new, if it can be avoided.
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 06-08-2010 at 01:01 AM.

I guessed that you were on about scaremongering articles.

I agree with what you say about IE9. I think this has become the general trend. Lots of folks don't upgrade immediately, they've learned to give Microsoft time to fix it first Other users won't upgrade until they absolutely have to and this particular trend is growing and has spread to including the upgrading of the operating system itself. Good thing for Microsoft that it's moved into hardware too.

As for SP3, don't get me started. I helped a friend out last year when he couldn't get the latest GTA game working. Being the 'expert' that I am I found immediately that he needed SP3. Just after the upgrade but prior to the restart, the system hung and wouldn't resume no matter how much I prayed (aloud mostly). I knew even before I had to pull the power that a reinstall of the whole OS was required and a major session of data recovery. SP3...

I'm not one of Microsofts biggest fans but how long realistically do you expect a technology company to wait around and keep supporting old software? XP as someone else pointed out is 10 years old. Do you think Microsofts competitors are sitting around ignoring new innovations or the existence of 64 bit CPUs while that's going on? Look what's happening to them in the Browser market for example because people won't move on from IE6.

I mean Windows 7 in all honesty does not cost a whole lot of money. At some point you have to upgrade. I think 10 years is enough time

I guessed that you were on about scaremongering articles.

I agree with what you say about IE9. I think this has become the general trend. Lots of folks don't upgrade immediately, they've learned to give Microsoft time to fix it first Other users won't upgrade until they absolutely have to and this particular trend is growing and has spread to including the upgrading of the operating system itself. Good thing for Microsoft that it's moved into hardware too.

As for SP3, don't get me started. I helped a friend out last year when he couldn't get the latest GTA game working. Being the 'expert' that I am I found immediately that he needed SP3. Just after the upgrade but prior to the restart, the system hung and wouldn't resume no matter how much I prayed (aloud mostly). I knew even before I had to pull the power that a reinstall of the whole OS was required and a major session of data recovery. SP3...
    Tell him to buy an Xbox and play it properly

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Names the Planets View Post

I mean Windows 7 in all honesty does not cost a whole lot of money. At some point you have to upgrade. I think 10 years is enough time
    I've been building my own PCs since 1999 and have never purchased an OS. I will eventually get around to upgrading to windows 7, infact I have a blank 40g hard drive ready for testing it on, but microsoft won't be profitting from me. Crackers are generally a step or two ahead of software distributors if you know where to look and what to avoid.
    "Do not be misled by the promises of politicians. Remember that the whole history of Ireland is a record of betrayals by politicians and statesmen, and remembering this, spurn their lying promises and stand up for a United Ireland - an Ireland broad based upon the union of Labour and Nationality." - James Connolly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cáthasaigh View Post
    I've been building my own PCs since 1999 and have never purchased an OS. I will eventually get around to upgrading to windows 7, infact I have a blank 40g hard drive ready for testing it on, but microsoft won't be profitting from me. Crackers are generally a step or two ahead of software distributors if you know where to look and what to avoid.
    I know. But that probably a bit above and beyond this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Names the Planets View Post
    I know. But that probably a bit above and beyond this thread
    Perhaps we need a tech advice section of the forum.
    "Do not be misled by the promises of politicians. Remember that the whole history of Ireland is a record of betrayals by politicians and statesmen, and remembering this, spurn their lying promises and stand up for a United Ireland - an Ireland broad based upon the union of Labour and Nationality." - James Connolly.

Maybe. Put it to Cactus

i'm all for it.

xxx
    Last edited by gli; 25-09-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gli View Post
    Sounds to me like MS is calling for hackers to have a field day with XP.
    au contraire, Microsoft is calling for customers who are using older versions of Windows XP to apply the latest service pack. if you don't know what a service pack is ...

Quote Originally Posted by gli View Post
    When MS pulls the same stunt with Vista, I'll be going back to Linux.
    ... then your going back to Linux is long overdue, as Microsoft has ceased support for non-patched versions of Windows Vista on April, 13th, 2010. yes, that's right, they have threatened to cripple your operating system too, so the evil hackers can have a field day.

it is general policy that support for a product ends 24 months after the release of the next service pack.

for those who wish to try Ubuntu without messing with partition tables and boot loaders, i recommend Wubi:

Wubi is an officially supported Ubuntu installer for Windows users that can bring you to the Linux world with a single click. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall (any flavour of) Ubuntu as any other Windows application, in a simple and safe way.
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 07-08-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast