Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Threat To Cripple Windows XP ... from Microsoft!

Default Re: Threat To Cripple Windows XP ... from Microsoft!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1975 View Post
    Isn't it simply that there is not the same amount of viruses written for Macs, not that macs are designed to be more secure?
    No--OS X, being based on Unix, is designed in a more secure way than Windows. It's the same with Linux. There are, of course still ways to infect OS X and Linux machines with malware. But all the methods I've seen involve some degree of social engineering, so it's easier to keep your system secure if you're smart about it.

Anyway I'm happy with Ubuntu 10.04. It's true that each release is only officially supported for 3 years, but even after that date those who want to continue to use their old release can and should retain full functionality, and in any case upgrading is free and much easier so there's very little reason to go three years (six stable releases) without upgrading once.

I'm sure Macs are fine machines but the premium you pay for the brand name is unjustifiable to me; you could probably get what you want for much less elsewhere, you just have to look a bit harder.

Quote Originally Posted by gli View Post
    [A word of warning about Ubuntu. It's claimed you can install and run Ubuntu alongside your existing OS. This isn't strictly true. The Ubuntu OS installs a kernel that co-opts the entire OS right from start up. It becomes the defacto OS. If you install Ubuntu along side, say, XP, you'll have to allocate hard disk space to both Ubuntu and XP, and the instructions are not glaringly obvious. If you don't allocate enough hard disk space to either OS, but especially Ubuntu, you'll be in a world of pain.]
    I have to take issue with this; of course you need to allocate hard drive space to each OS, but the instructions are, in my opinion, glaringly obvious. Probably not so much on the older releases which may be what you have experience with, but the last couple of releases (especially 10.04) have really focused on making installation as user-friendly as possible.

I don't really know what you mean by the Linux kernel co-opting the entire OS and becoming the de facto OS. But it is certainly true that Ubuntu can run side-by-side with other OSes on a single computer or laptop.

i have already mentioned WUBI, certainly the most painless way for inexperienced users who wish to try Ubuntu. you can install any flavour of Ubuntu just like a regular windows application, WUBI will create a 'container' on your existing partition for Ubuntu and automatically install and configure the boot loader. if you don't like it, just uninstall it via 'Add/Remove Programs'.

or make use of virtualization software, this will give you a 'disposable' virtual computer with the operating system of your choice. drawback: certain hardware components (such as the graphics adapter) will be emulated, thus the full potential of your system may not be available to the virtual computer. but this should only be of any concern if you want to run graphics intensive applications or games in a VM.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

I haven't tried WUBI but it sounds good alright. Remember that you can try Ubuntu on your PC by sticking in the install CD and booting from that. This will allow you to use pretty much all the main features of Ubuntu without affecting your hard drive at all. Then if you like you can choose to install from there. Note though that running from the CD is much slower than the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by evercloserunion View Post
    Note though that running from the CD is much slower than the real thing.
    indeed, a Live CD/DVD is useful to check whether all your hardware is compatible, but it doesn't really make for a joyful user experience.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

xxxx
    Last edited by gli; 25-09-2010 at 01:17 PM.

this is a contradiction, you complain about too many patches, on the other hand you ask for the product to be kept up to date.

and if you bought windows XP in 2001, is is still as functional as ever, hotfixes and security updates will be provided at least until until 8 April 2014. by then you will dealing with a 13 year OS, which is quite an extraordinary achievement in the realm of operating systems, and proof that Microsoft sometimes do get their act together.

and even after this date you can still use XP if it suits your needs, only, it will no longer be supported with updates. nobody will use a kill switch on you or cripple your computer.

for example, i'm using an 8 year old laptop here (2.7 GHz Celery, 512 MB RAM), it's running on Windows Neptune (the OS that never was) and it doesn't feel crippled in any way. although Neptune is almost 11 years old and never made it beyond alpha status, never mind patching or service packs, yet it still does the job.
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 10-07-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Vanity Fair's August issue, "MICROSOFT'S LOST DECADE

Once upon a time, Microsoft dominated the tech industry:
    indeed, it was the wealthiest corporation in the world. But since 2000, as Apple, Google, and Facebook whizzed by, it has fallen flat in every arena it entered: e-books, music, search, social networking, etc. etc. Talking to former and current Microsoft executives, KURT EICHENWALD finds the fingers pointing at Steve Ballmer, Bill Gates's successor, as the man who led them astray": "[W]hat began as a lean competition machine led by young visionaries of unparalleled talent has mutated into something bloated and bureaucracy-laden, with an internal culture that unintentionally rewards managers who strangle innovative ideas that might threaten the established order of things. ... [The cash-cow] Windows and Office divisions [were allowed to dictate] the direction of product development [derailing e-books, mobile and tablets] ... Many of the longtime executives let new employees handle the work while they themselves lolled around, waiting for the next vesting period when they could exercise more options - a behavior known derisively by the younger hires as 'rest and vest.' ...

"Microsoft ... lost more than half its value
    ... The stock options - once the golden key to untold wealth -- were underwater. ... Where once creating innovations was both the thrill of the job and the path to riches through stock options, guaranteed financial success could be achieved only the way it was at stodgy old General Motors or IBM - through promotions. 'People realized they weren't going to get wealthy,' one former senior executive said. 'They turned into people trying to move up the ladder, rather than people trying to make a big contribution to the firm.'

"More employees seeking management slots led to more managers
    , more managers led to more meetings, more meetings led to more memos, and more red tape led to less innovation. ... [B]ecause reviews came every six months, employees and their supervisors ... focused on their short-term performance, rather than on longer efforts to innovate. ... [Because of Microsoft's perverse 'stack ranking' evaluation system,] every employee has to impress not only his or her boss but bosses from other teams as well. And that means schmoozing and brown-nosing as many supervisors as possible." Abstract http://vnty.fr/MbL1dh
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

I think that Linux also had a big impact on Microsoft as well. Unix and Linux dominate the web in terms of servers. While Access was a brilliantly usable product years ago, the web database sector is dominated by Open Source options such as MySQL. For those who want a higher quality option, there's always PostgreSQL. And even on the big iron database servers, Microsoft has competition from Oracle, IBM and others.

The upgrade chain for Microsoft was Access > SQL Server. But with the advent of the web, and Cloud, that's no longer a certainty. Microsoft tried to go big in Search a few years ago but mucked things up because they listened to waffle about the Semantic Web. The reality is that many websites don't even have outbound links let alone rich metadata that could be used for Semantic Web purposes. However Microsoft got away from that with Bing and is beginning to do quite well.

In real terms, Microsoft is a mature corporation rather than an eager startup. Thus comparing it with new companies, which is often done in the media, is a false comparison. The dynamics of the two types of businesses are very different. Windows is still the gaming operating system of choice. Office is still the lingua franca of the business world. If I am working on a spreadsheet then it is going to be in Microsoft Excel because that's what almost everyone in business uses. Some of the Open Source offerings (OpenOffice etc) can import and export Excel spreadsheets but there's a built-in upgrade path with Office. With Microsoft offering an online version of Office, that's an extra step in the upgrade path to keep users locked in to Microsoft. With old printers, it used to be a question of a printer being Epson compatible. With computers, IBM dominated. With business documentation, Microsoft dominates.

Regards...jmcc

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    I think that Linux also had a big impact on Microsoft as well. Unix and Linux dominate the web in terms of servers. While Access was a brilliantly usable product years ago, the web database sector is dominated by Open Source options such as MySQL. For those who want a higher quality option, there's always PostgreSQL. And even on the big iron database servers, Microsoft has competition from Oracle, IBM and others.

The upgrade chain for Microsoft was Access > SQL Server. But with the advent of the web, and Cloud, that's no longer a certainty. Microsoft tried to go big in Search a few years ago but mucked things up because they listened to waffle about the Semantic Web. The reality is that many websites don't even have outbound links let alone rich metadata that could be used for Semantic Web purposes. However Microsoft got away from that with Bing and is beginning to do quite well.

In real terms, Microsoft is a mature corporation rather than an eager startup. Thus comparing it with new companies, which is often done in the media, is a false comparison. The dynamics of the two types of businesses are very different. Windows is still the gaming operating system of choice. Office is still the lingua franca of the business world. If I am working on a spreadsheet then it is going to be in Microsoft Excel because that's what almost everyone in business uses. Some of the Open Source offerings (OpenOffice etc) can import and export Excel spreadsheets but there's a built-in upgrade path with Office. With Microsoft offering an online version of Office, that's an extra step in the upgrade path to keep users locked in to Microsoft. With old printers, it used to be a question of a printer being Epson compatible. With computers, IBM dominated. With business documentation, Microsoft dominates.

Regards...jmcc
    The reason though for the success of Linux is its stability though isnt it? It took off a lot in recent years. A quick cursory look at the web reveals that there seems to be two reasons why Linux took off. Its open source, therefore most of the products or programmes are free where as Microsoft are proprietary and the lack of viruses and issues with Linux as Linux is used by so many developers its easy to see why there is no issues. Many hands make light work!
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    The reason though for the success of Linux is its stability though isnt it?
    That and the availability of the source code. This means that if you know what you are doing you might be able to fix a problem yourself. Though another important thing is that most distributions of Linux are free to use. It costs something like 100 Euros a box for Windows. Microsoft currently has an upgrade to Windows 8 programme in operation where you can upgrade an old version of Windows to Windows 8 for about $40 or its equivalent.

It took off a lot in recent years.
    More so about ten years ago when the real battles for the control of the web were being fought.

Its open source, therefore most of the products or programmes are free where as Microsoft are proprietary
    Open Source means that you get the source with the product rather than the product being free. It does encourage people to develop their own products and they can learn about Linux easily whereas it can be more difficult and expensive to learn about the innards of Windows.

and the lack of viruses and issues with Linux as Linux is used by so many developers its easy to see why there is no issues. Many hands make light work!
    Microsoft tried an almost Open Source approach but I don't know if it worked out well. It just could not compete with Open Source. There have been issues with Linux but the "time to fix" tends to be shorter. Microsoft generally has a patch Tuesday each month when it rolls out major fixes and updates. In terms of viruses, Linux viruses are possible but there are far more Linux server installations than Linux Desktop installations. This means that there are fewer infection vectors for Linux viruses by Desktop infection.

Linux has come a long way from the <1.0 kernels about twenty years ago. Back then nobody thought that Microsoft could be beaten but it was the management of Microsoft (Gates thinking that the internet was a fad and ignoring it) that helped.

Regards...jmcc

Here’s a 25 minute interview with Kurt Eichenwald author of the VF piece on Microsoft that ran on Charlie Rose last night.

http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/12444
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

I went all-Linux and wiped my last remaining Windows box about 18 months ago. Never looked back.

Well, apart from at work where my Ubuntu desktop has 3 Windows VirtualBox VMs set up so I can test sites using IE 7, 8 and 9....thankfully we've just (finally!!) dropped IE6 support.

What I find interesting is that when I have to fire up a Windows VM to test some reported IE bug, just how slow, clunky, unintuitive, awkward, crash-prone and unfriendly Windows is. Sure there's a big learning curve with Linux at the start if you are coming from the Windows world and it all seems very strange and daunting, but the power, flexibility, choice, stability are all more than worth it in the end.

Document cross-compatibility between the likes of MS Excel, and LibreOffice spreadsheets saved in Excel format, is very very good these days, so no worries there.

If you aren't a hard-core gamer I really don't see the point to Windows any more. It became obsolete quite some time ago IMO and I don't see how they can come back. It's a function of time now, as each old trusty machine dies and goes to silicon heaven, an increasing proportion of the Windows user base will shift to another OS for their new machine. Corporate boardrooms, very conservative places at the best of times, are also slowly beginning to get over their paranoia about open source software.

It's a long slow revolution but an inevitable one.

I still get updates for xp?

I'd switch to ubuntu but I can't get some of the games I play to work properly on it.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    I still get updates for xp?

I'd switch to ubuntu but I can't get some of the games I play to work properly on it.
    You can run Vista from Linux (http://lifehacker.com/367714/run-win...y-inside-linux) but it might be sloowwwwwwwww!!!
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123