Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Threat To Cripple Windows XP ... from Microsoft!

Exclamation Threat To Cripple Windows XP ... from Microsoft!

A report out yesterday from Net Applications shows that Windows XP has more than twice the market share of Windows 7 and Windows Vista combined -- 61.87% for XP in July, compared to 14.46% for Windows 7, and 14.34% for Windows Vista.
    Net Applications Link

This is bad news for Microsoft, and it's doing everything that it can to kill XP. Microsoft officialy retired XP SP2 from all support on July 13, which means it will no longer issue security patches for that version of XP. Microsoft set Tuesday as the end of support for Windows XP SP2, and used the day to deliver its final security patch. To receive any further fixes, security or otherwise, users must run XP SP3 or upgrade to a newer operating system, such as Vista or Windows 7.
    RIP Windows XP SP"

Microsoft clearly would like to make life uncomfortable for XP users. In not issuing this patch, that's exactly what the company is doing. This is a serious security issue, and XP SP2 users are clearly at risk now. Microsoft has been trying in other ways to get people to upgrade from XP. It has announced that Internet Explorer 9 won't run on XP, and neither will the new version of Windows Live Essentials.

Microsoft's Plan To Cripple XP
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Default Re: Threat To Cripple Windows XP ... from Microsoft!

Time to move away from Microsoft ?

this is a fairly regular process, sp2 is obsolete and the support/life cycle has ended as scheduled, use at your own risk. but there's a simple solution to that: install sp3, it's free anyway. the support for sp1 ceased 4 years ago and nothing was crippled, that's just scaremongering.

AFAIK, the support/life cycle for the last XP operating system (XP Embedded) will officially end in April 2019. so, no reason to panic.

true is, however, that IE 9 will not be available for XP (just like directX10 and higher), but i think MS is just making the same mistake again as they did back then with win2k and IE7. did people abandon their 'beloved' OS? no, they just changed to a browser that that was still supporting windows 2000, which lead to a further decline in IE market shares. just this time it will really hurt, as windows XP is far more popular today than windows 2000 ever was.

elsewhere in the news, i read today that the British government doesn't see any reason to abandon IE6 ... very funny.

British Government Rejects IE6 Upgrade Petition
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 05-08-2010 at 07:55 PM.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Macman here....never had a problem with my Apple....ever..

Nor has my wife and kids...all Apples and all happy operating systems...

Quote Originally Posted by eskerman View Post
    Macman here....never had a problem with my Apple....ever..

Nor has my wife and kids...all Apples and all happy operating systems...
    Me too. Switched about five years ago and never looked back. I feel all dirty when I have to use the PC at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Me too. Switched about five years ago and never looked back. I feel all dirty when I have to use the PC at work.
    I will never use a PC again after switching over to a proper operating system.

Its impossible to go back after all the many years of trouble free motoring.

Apple wins hands down for me

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    I feel all dirty when I have to use the PC at work.
    You don't feel dirty when i think about the 12 workers who committed suicide at Apple's #1 sweatshop, Foxconn in 2010?

And the contempt shown by Steve Jobs doesn't make you feel dirty either?

"Foxconn is not a sweatshop," he adds. "They’ve got restaurants and swimming pools….For a factory, it’s a pretty nice factory."
    Reminds me of some Nazi propaganda showing nice recreational facilities in their concentration camps.

I promise not to kill myself: Apple factory workers 'asked to sign pledge'

Apple manufacturer Foxconn was today taking extraordinary measures to safeguard its business and workers following a spate of suicides at its sprawling plant in southern China.

Workers have reportedly been told to sign letters promising not to kill themselves and even agree to be institutionalised if they appeared to be in an "abnormal mental or physical state for the protection of myself and others".

Nets were also reportedly being hung around buildings to deter suicidal employees.
    however, we should discuss this in the Ethical Shopping thread, since this is about Microsoft ending support for Windows XP Service Pack 2.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    You don't feel dirty when i think about the 12 workers who committed suicide at Apple's #1 sweatshop, Foxconn in 2010?

Reminds me of some Nazi propaganda showing nice recreational facilities in their concentration camps.

however, we should discuss this in the Ethical Shopping thread, since this is about Microsoft ending support for Windows XP Service Pack 2.
    This is irrelevant to the thread topic.

Quote Originally Posted by eskerman View Post
    This is irrelevant to the thread topic.
    so are your praises for Apple.

People Korps Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    A report out yesterday from Net Applications shows that Windows XP has more than twice the market share of Windows 7 and Windows Vista combined -- 61.87% for XP in July, compared to 14.46% for Windows 7, and 14.34% for Windows Vista.
    Net Applications Link

This is bad news for Microsoft, and it's doing everything that it can to kill XP. Microsoft officialy retired XP SP2 from all support on July 13, which means it will no longer issue security patches for that version of XP. Microsoft set Tuesday as the end of support for Windows XP SP2, and used the day to deliver its final security patch. To receive any further fixes, security or otherwise, users must run XP SP3 or upgrade to a newer operating system, such as Vista or Windows 7.
    RIP Windows XP SP"

Microsoft clearly would like to make life uncomfortable for XP users. In not issuing this patch, that's exactly what the company is doing. This is a serious security issue, and XP SP2 users are clearly at risk now. Microsoft has been trying in other ways to get people to upgrade from XP. It has announced that Internet Explorer 9 won't run on XP, and neither will the new version of Windows Live Essentials.

Monopoly...............Windows 7 is fine but messing with people who dont want to upgrade or cant afford to is a criminal act.

People Korps Guest

People think apples cant get viruses

the fools the fools

Yes, that is a little unfortunate. Doesn't change the fact that Macs are superior to PCs. I'll never go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    Net Applications Link

RIP Windows XP SP"

I think 'planned obsolescence' is the term. There used to be a lot of talk about the WinTel duopoly and the constant upgrade cycle that meant the software and the hardware went in lockstep.
    I'd guess that is breaking down now as most people don't see the need to upgrade something that is working. If a five or six year old machine works why would you bother to upgrade?
    If you need a replacement any machine you buy these days for around 500 euro will do everything you need it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by People Korps View Post
    People think apples cant get viruses

the fools the fools
    Isn't it simply that there is not the same amount of viruses written for Macs, not that macs are designed to be more secure?

I am speaking from years of personal use with Macs and I have never had a problem.

Someone else mentioned a point about Virus attacks on Macs, I have no doubt there are many of them out there and yes I do use an anti-virus software to be on the safe side. I think one has to be sensible and keep to the proper use conditions, keep updates and back-ups going and a Mac will give years of smooth running.

Personal experience only. There will be others who disagree..such is life

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast