Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Nelligan - National Childrens' Hospital Site - Wrong Site Picked for Political Reasons

Default Re: Nelligan - National Childrens' Hospital Site - Wrong Site Picked for Political Reasons

Sorry not to get involved in this discussion but can some kind person tell me exactly where mr nelligan was born thanks in advance

Default Re: Nelligan - National Childrens' Hospital Site - Wrong Site Picked for Political Reasons

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEJOHN View Post
    Sorry not to get involved in this discussion but can some kind person tell me exactly where mr nelligan was born thanks in advance
    I had trouble finding this - because we were both putting two Ls in Neligan.

Biography -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Neligan

So did Philip Lynch resign or was he pushed?
    Minister for Health Mary Harney has said she requested the resignation of the former chairman of the Children's Hospital Development Board.
    Former chairman Philip Lynch pinpointed funding issues and planning challenges at the site as the reasons for his resignation last week.
    In a statement, Mr Lynch says that unless substantive issues were addressed, the successful delivery of the new children's hospital in Dublin was at serious risk.
    Mr Lynch also said that he resigned because he and Minister for Health Mary Harney differed on a number of significant and fundamental issues.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1015/lynchp.html

Mary Harney floundering in an interview with Marian Finucane on this now.

Mary Harney always flounders.

Because in all honesty she cant justify what is happening on her watch.

The fact that she has to be spoonfed for every interview should tell us all we need to know in regard to her ability to do her job.

Or maybe she has such a guilty conscience that she cannot look any interviewer in the eye.

With her track record its not surprising.

I know everyone is likely to groan at this suggestion, but the Loughlinstown hospital is right by the Daniel Day extension (which opened today), and there are literally acres of unused brownfield ploughed up and undeveloped land right by the Luas terminus, stone's throw from the existing hospital. Sandwiched between the N11 and the M50. Furthermore, if anyone needs a political impetus, there are 2 FF and one Green minister in the constituency (which happens to also be Eamon Gilmore's) and all of their seats are at risk.

The offer of a site at Newlands Cross has been put back on the table.

http://examiner.ie/ireland/health/de...al-133491.html

I believe in Santa and the tooth fairy.

I believe that somewhere in the great miasma of the HSE there exists a person whose brain and intelligence can work effectively for the benefit of the public and anyone who is unfortunate enough to have a sick child.

I believe that ultimately good sense will prevail and all relevant factors will be taken into consideration and not only immediate needs, but the needs of the sick children of Ireland going into the future.

In other I believe that everything that has not happened in the past will happen now, in the present and here on in into the future.

Being discussed at the moment on Marian Finucane again.

There was never any comparative study to identify the best site. The consultants were asked "could they" not "should they" be fitted on the Mater Site.

Has anyone looked at the long term impacts on the Mater, in terms of lack of expansion space?

On the Childrens Hospital plan it sounds worse and worse - out patient and after care will be in Tallaght although most consultants will be at the Mater. Crumlin isn't integrated into the plan at all.

In other words a complete mess.

Being discussed on Joe Duffy now - Parents group and others agreeing that the proposal is an unbelievably bad choice made by "independent civil servants" - a mythical creature.

The choice is terrible, but the pressure is now on to go on with it, as there could be years more delay if we start afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Being discussed on Joe Duffy now - Parents group and others agreeing that the proposal is an unbelievably bad choice made by "independent civil servants" - a mythical creature.

The choice is terrible, but the pressure is now on to go on with it, as there could be years more delay if we start afresh.
    But will it come in on time and on budget.

I believe we are far better to look at an alternative site where there is room for all to be on the one campus.

Can you imagine dealing with an ongoing sick child and having to go alternately to different hospitals. Attending Tallaght for follow up care and then being sent to the Childrens' Hospital to get a second opinion from a consultant.

Never mind the distribution of services over different parts of Dublin. A paperless office is, I believe an aspiration more than a reality.

The HSE cannot mind the records that it currently has never mind those that will be stored off site.

Look at the mess they have made of the ppars system. Do they seriously expect us to believe that they will be able to manage and run an information system, that will be handling thousands upon thousands of records of data input, collection, retrieval ans storage. What happens when all relevant parties logon and it crashes.

I personally feel if it is to be done it should be done right from day one. The glitches, hiccups and major issues that will arise in the future will cause problems and cost money. I have no crystal ball but I feel that the overall cost of remaining on the current site will far outweigh the benefits of relocation to a greenfield site.

I would love to be proven wrong

Pat Kenny discussing this now. Not a voice to be heard in favour of the Mater location.

This will now be reassessed by the new government, but surely the reality is that there will be no money for a new childrens' hospital, as every penny will have gone into the banks and interest payments on debt.

Anyone would only have to glance and the kidney-bean-shaped monstrosity proposed to be built to know that they could save a fortune by redesigning something straightforward.
    Health Minister Dr James Reilly has today denied that a review of the proposed National Children's Hospital is a delaying tactic.

Dr Reilly told the Dáil that the Government is absolutely committed to a National Paediatric Hospital, as long as it is built in a cost-effective manner on the right site.

He claimed that the review should only take about a month to complete.

It was decided to build the facility on the site of the Mater Hospital in Dublin City Centre during Bertie Ahern's tenure as Taoiseach.

Quote Originally Posted by concernedparent View Post
    As usual the decision concerning the location of the new children's hospital was a political one and when you read of the 'consultations' that took place it confirms what right thinking people know. That decisions of this ilk are not based on reasoned intelligent discussion based on the patients using the facility and the transport services available, but on pur political expediency.
    Totally agree with you Concerned as a parent who once had to rush to Tallaght hospital with a sick one year old, the thought of having to negogiate city centre traffic at peak time while extremely stressed would have been beyond my capabilities as I'm sure it would be for many parents.

Update.........

@rtenews
    Reports that An Bord Pleanála has turned down planning permission for a new National Children’s Hospital in Dublin
    Thomas Jefferson : Banking Establishments are More Dangerous to our Liberties than Standing Armies.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast