Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EirGrid back to the drawing board on North/South connector : Grid Link / Energy Transmission / Export

Default EirGrid back to the drawing board on North/South connector : Grid Link / Energy Transmission / Export

Eirgrid intends to lodge fresh plans for its North/South interconnector development "as soon as they can", a spokesperson for the company told The Anglo-Celt yesterday (Tuesday). The comment comes following the collapse of the An Bord Pleanála oral hearings into the proposed development after it emerged that the plans lodged by the company did not tally with planning notices published as part of the public consultation process
    I think there are a lot of unhappy people in the proposed area....
    http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup...r-next-battle/
    Last edited by C. Flower; 25-11-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Default Re: EirGrid back to the drawing board on North/South connector

I noticed a throwaway comment by Pat Rabbitte on the North South connector today which got lost in the oil/gas remarks:
    Mr Rabbitte said the country remains too dependent on just a few sources of energy but this will not change anytime soon.
    "The current reality is that we are heavily dependent on a single source of gas supply and our electrical interconnection is still limited. We are also heavily reliant on gas for the generation of electricity -- a reliance that is set to remain for some time as gas is the fuel of choice while we we build our renewable capacity."
    Projects such as the North-South electricity link from Meath to Tyrone are key strategic projects for economies north and south of the border and the lack of an inter connector costs between €20m and €30m a year, he added.
    FG candidates in Meath were very strongly opposed to the connector in the run up to the GE 11, in particular Shane McEntee.
    A furious row has erupted following EirGrid's announcement that it intends to reapply for planning permission for the highly controversial 400kV electricity interconnector, which will run the length of county.
    Opponents of the plan have accused the company of browbeating, bullying and arrogance, as it embarks on what is expected to be a long drawn-out planning process for the north-south interconnector, which will carry high voltage electricity between Meath and Tyrone.
    Minister of State Shane McEntee has weighed into the controversy, telling EirGrid it is unacceptable for it to plough ahead with a renewed application for an interconnector before international consultants had even been appointed to look at the case for undergrounding the power lines.
    He pointed out the programme for government stated clearly that such a report would be commissioned and he called on EirGrid to abide by the spirit of the programme.
    http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/ro...v-pylons/print
    http://www.independent.ie/business/i...s-2663889.html

More pylon problems coming up for Pat Rabbitte. Labour, SF and FF representatives all attacking EirGrid:
    STATE BODY EirGrid has been accused of taking a bullying approach in its attempt to improve the electrical network between Laois and Kilkenny.
    Laois-Offaly TDs yesterday joined Laois residents protesting outside an EirGrid information day in Portlaoise over plans for an €80 million upgrade.
    Members of the Ratheniska Action Group from just outside Portlaoise are worried about EirGrid’s proposal to construct a 400/110kv substation in the area, along with the planned installation of 110kv powerlines linking Laois and Ballyragget, Co Kilkenny.
    Laois-Offaly TD Seán Fleming insisted the infrastructure was unnecessary in Laois.
    Sinn Féin TD Brian Stanley accused EirGrid of “behaving in a very high-handed way”. It had failed to consult properly with locals. “We believe that the scale of the project needs to be looked at again; we believe that this is an absolute monstrosity what they are planning for this area.”
    Acknowledging the need for the infrastructure, Labour Senator John Whelan accused EirGrid of being dishonest and taking a cavalier approach to the project
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...298735309.html

I'm sorry to sound like a fascist, but this is ridiculous. If the Nimbys are OK with living with less than 100% energy supplies, then fine. If they simultaneously want the lights and heating kept on, but don't want the infrastructure to do that anywhere near them, then perhaps they'd like being cut off for a bit to see how they'd like it

I'm UTTERLY sick of the ostrich mentality re energy. If you use it, live with the infrastructure. Fume

Quote Originally Posted by morticia View Post
    I'm sorry to sound like a fascist, but this is ridiculous. If the Nimbys are OK with living with less than 100% energy supplies, then fine. If they simultaneously want the lights and heating kept on, but don't want the infrastructure to do that anywhere near them, then perhaps they'd like being cut off for a bit to see how they'd like it

I'm UTTERLY sick of the ostrich mentality re energy. If you use it, live with the infrastructure. Fume
    Fair point, Morticia. Not easy to make an ommlette without breaking a few eggs.
    At the same time as a parent of small kids I really wouldn't fancy seeing these pylons in the field behind the back garden. There are studies which suggest a linkage between the electromagnetic radiation that these lines emit and increased incidence of childhood leukemia.
    A perfectly good alternative is to put the infrastructure underground. Denmark has taken a decision to do exactly that for any future lines.

First they need to know the score - the real score! Then they may be willing to sit down and discuss the best options, ie where to put the infrastructure. The bottom line is it has to happen, somewhere.

The link to cancer is understandably worrying so they really need to be thinking of underground as I doubt they will find land far enough away from some development or other.....
    Offer solutions
    my blog - Clearing Clutter – the ramblings of an environmental activist http://theresaleaf.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    A perfectly good alternative is to put the infrastructure underground. Denmark has taken a decision to do exactly that for any future lines.
    Costs far more apparently. Sorry, I want that infrastructure pre crisis, because we won't get it post crisis. I like central heating, the ability to plug in a computer, the contents of my freezer staying frozen, the ability to earn a living, sewerage, etc, all those things that are put at risk by inadequate energy provision...oh, and healthcare!

And my understanding on pylons and mobile phones etc is that cancer links are suggested but unproven, more study needed. I'd say it's a lot less bad for your health than living without central heating when you are over 70 and it's sub zero outside..

Usually if something is pretty carcinogenic (radiation, ciggies), we figured it out 50 years ago with less sophisticated technology

Sorry, but it's nimby **** like this that makes me yearn for a good dictatorship!

We're not short of spare property; could the odd family not be rehomed a few miles to the left, if necessary?

Bravo!!

Thumbs up Re: EirGrid back to the drawing board on North/South connector

Costs far more apparently. Sorry, I want that infrastructure pre crisis, because we won't get it post crisis. I like central heating, the ability to plug in a computer, the contents of my freezer staying frozen, the ability to earn a living, sewerage, etc, all those things that are put at risk by inadequate energy provision...oh, and healthcare!

And my understanding on pylons and mobile phones etc is that cancer links are suggested but unproven, more study needed. I'd say it's a lot less bad for your health than living without central heating when you are over 70 and it's sub zero outside..

Usually if something is pretty carcinogenic (radiation, ciggies), we figured it out 50 years ago with less sophisticated technology

Sorry, but it's nimby **** like this that makes me yearn for a good dictatorship!

We're not short of spare property; could the odd family not be rehomed a few miles to the left, if necessary?
    precisely

Dictator anyone????
    Offer solutions
    my blog - Clearing Clutter – the ramblings of an environmental activist http://theresaleaf.wordpress.com/

I'm pleasantly stunned. I'd put the colander on the head in anticipation of being flamed after the first post. Thanks all (sez she, climbing out from under the sofa).....

It is all about ignorance though. If even half the country truly understood the energy challenge ahead they would be on side for throwing up electrical infrastructure EVERYWHERE!

As with everything though Joe and Jen Soap are kept in the dark while all the plotting and scheming is going on. Instead of filling them in on the reasons there needs to be planning before collaborating with them on solutions.

Cart before the donkey as usual. All for what? Avoid panic? What they don't know won't hurt them? Crap. What they don't know leaves them in the dark, oblivious to the reason they have no job, why growth is over, prices rising along with suicide. They can't cover up forever
    Offer solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
    It is all about ignorance though. If even half the country truly understood the energy challenge ahead they would be on side for throwing up electrical infrastructure EVERYWHERE!

...They can't cover up forever
    Bang on, I've thought this for quite some time. So far, PW is the only way I've come up with of actually publicizing my concerns, though.....any thoughts for raising the profile of this issue?? The Leinster House info thingy was inspiring....well done.

thanks Morticia.

Where to start.......

I was at the SEAI energy security and competitiveness seminar yesterday. Good stuff, nothing amazingly new to me, but very good if you were oblivious. I doubt many there were oblivious. Possibly obstinate to a different argument to their own!

I like the chairs introduction of one speaker as "the first guy they never listened to"

The worrying thing is the government want to drill for the "potential" gas off Ireland, license speculators, tax profits and what happens the gas??? It goes to the highest bidder anyway. Where's energy security in that? All the while aware of climate change and our need to build green infrastructure. So they put all the time and resources now into relaxing the laws, soliciting producers, befriending, taxing and expect that the revenue from our offshore resources will buy it all back while building infrastructure????????

Seriously, if you want to be heard meet with like minded people. Together is stronger. That is why the transition network works for me. I am one of the guys "they never listened to" Had I not had a good foundation, belief and confidence in what I have to say while I was in Kildare I would not have lasted in laois. To be near enough alone, talking this talk is a very lonely place to be most of the time. Had I not been in a county that listened I could not survive in this county. So - log on to the transition ireland and northern ireland website and find your local people

Getting back to the seminar. Interestingly enough the basis for the UCD presentation was the Siemens report with the ESRI mentioned. As ever business knows long before governments and their warped agencies
    Offer solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
    As ever business knows long before governments and their warped agencies
    And in that, lies our hope... many of the silicon valley guys are putting money into solving the energy crisis.

I will have another look at Transition...dunno how much can be done in Dublin on a hanky sized garden, but worth a go from an advocacy point of view, I guess.

I'm afraid I'd also agree with drilling where you can, though, transition will take time. And it helps to be first on the pipeline (look at what happened in the Ukraine). But Government should be writing priority of supply clauses into the contracts.... first us, then the UK (since they're our major trading partner).

Thankfully they are. I suppose they got their money on the world's resources so it's the least they could do

Ah, there's loads to do on a stamp in Dublin Community gardening, allotments, garden share - all ideas considered - great for kids to know how to grow food. Many people wouldn't understand why it would be good to ensure the next generation can grow food ........ As for advocacy, well you would be invaluable with a group who are passionate about everything environmental and not have too much info on peak oil. What you know they would soon know too.

Here's an example of one group on facebook and the national network is http://transitiontownsireland.ning.com/

https://www.facebook.com/people/Tran...00001627517621
    Offer solutions

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast