Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,870

    Default National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

    Mapviewer from the Heritage Service - you can check your townland and see what lies beneath.

    Have fun.


    http://webgis.archaeology.ie/Nationa...ts/FlexViewer/
    Last edited by Ah Well; 07-03-2012 at 06:48 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Boycotting Chiquita's slavery bananas
    Posts
    1,391

    Default Re: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

    Fantastic service, I think I'm going to spend ages on it. Thanks cactus..
    Boycott Chiquita

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,926

    Default Re: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

    Does anyone know if a monument isn't on the mapviewer, does that mean it isn't listed?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,870

    Default Re: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    Does anyone know if a monument isn't on the mapviewer, does that mean it isn't listed?
    As a Monument, it should be listed, but human error is always possible.
    If its a building, there are more than one type of listing - local County Development Plan would be one place to check.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,926

    Default Re: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    As a Monument, it should be listed, but human error is always possible.
    If its a building, there are more than one type of listing - local County Development Plan would be one place to check.
    So the likes of a cairn should be on it?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,870

    Default Re: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    So the likes of a cairn should be on it?
    It should be. Have you found a nice one?

    Some cairns might be quite new. I know one which is a pile of stones put one at a time near a burial ground - everyone going to a new grave leaves one there.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,926

    Default Re: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    It should be. Have you found a nice one?

    Some cairns might be quite new. I know one which is a pile of stones put one at a time near a burial ground - everyone going to a new grave leaves one there.
    Well don't know if it's technically a cairn but came across what looks like some old burial structure. Most of it seems to be in the ground and the only reason I spotted it was because a limestone slab covering it seems to have hald fallen in. Otherwise it would have just appeared as a mound on the ground. The best way I can describe it is if you were looking down directly from the sky, it would look like a small doorway.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,870

    Default Re: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    Well don't know if it's technically a cairn but came across what looks like some old burial structure. Most of it seems to be in the ground and the only reason I spotted it was because a limestone slab covering it seems to have hald fallen in. Otherwise it would have just appeared as a mound on the ground. The best way I can describe it is if you were looking down directly from the sky, it would look like a small doorway.
    Sounds as if it could be a souterrain or a cistern, or even part of an old field drain - some of them used to be beautifully made and stone lined - if its not in a place associated with burial. Do you have a photo?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,926

    Default Re: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Sounds as if it could be a souterrain or a cistern, or even part of an old field drain - some of them used to be beautifully made and stone lined - if its not in a place associated with burial. Do you have a photo?
    Feck, no photo. Will have to go back and take a snap. I'll post it when I do!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,926

    Default Re: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Sounds as if it could be a souterrain or a cistern, or even part of an old field drain - some of them used to be beautifully made and stone lined - if its not in a place associated with burial. Do you have a photo?
    Got someone with a head for archaey stuff to look at it and they think it's a fulacht fia. It's not on the mapviewer either. Still have to get a photo as well!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,870

    Default Re: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    Got someone with a head for archaey stuff to look at it and they think it's a fulacht fia. It's not on the mapviewer either. Still have to get a photo as well!
    Can we use it for the Political World barbecue ?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,127

    Default Re: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    Got someone with a head for archaey stuff to look at it and they think it's a fulacht fia. It's not on the mapviewer either. Still have to get a photo as well!
    Hmm fulacht fias are very common around the country and often appear as a raised bank in a horseshoe shape or indeed are often ploughed out and can appear as dark patches in the soil with burnt bits of stone surfacing when the ground is ploughed.

    Here's a good example adjoining Drombeg Stone Circle, Drombeg, Co. Cork. I assume this particular one was the subject of an archaeological excavation at some point in time


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,926

    Default Re: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

    It has a horse shoe shaped mound, covered in moss and pine needles and what looks like a flat slab which fell in allowing the inside stone work to become visible. That's the only reason I noticed it, otherwise it would have looked like raised earth.

    The politcalworld bbq shall commence next June for our customary two week summer

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granny Madden's
    Posts
    6,140

    Default Re: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

    Bloody border!
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

    If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,127

    Default Re: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    It has a horse shoe shaped mound, covered in moss and pine needles and what looks like a flat slab which fell in allowing the inside stone work to become visible. That's the only reason I noticed it, otherwise it would have looked like raised earth.
    Odds on favourite for a fulacht fia for sure I'd be thinking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us