Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

Default National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

Mapviewer from the Heritage Service - you can check your townland and see what lies beneath.

Have fun.

http://webgis.archaeology.ie/Nationa...ts/FlexViewer/
    Last edited by Ah Well; 07-03-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Default Re: National Monuments of Ireland Mapviewer

Fantastic service, I think I'm going to spend ages on it. Thanks cactus..
    Boycott Chiquita

Does anyone know if a monument isn't on the mapviewer, does that mean it isn't listed?

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    Does anyone know if a monument isn't on the mapviewer, does that mean it isn't listed?
    As a Monument, it should be listed, but human error is always possible.
    If its a building, there are more than one type of listing - local County Development Plan would be one place to check.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    As a Monument, it should be listed, but human error is always possible.
    If its a building, there are more than one type of listing - local County Development Plan would be one place to check.
    So the likes of a cairn should be on it?

So the likes of a cairn should be on it?
    It should be. Have you found a nice one?

Some cairns might be quite new. I know one which is a pile of stones put one at a time near a burial ground - everyone going to a new grave leaves one there.

It should be. Have you found a nice one?

Some cairns might be quite new. I know one which is a pile of stones put one at a time near a burial ground - everyone going to a new grave leaves one there.
    Well don't know if it's technically a cairn but came across what looks like some old burial structure. Most of it seems to be in the ground and the only reason I spotted it was because a limestone slab covering it seems to have hald fallen in. Otherwise it would have just appeared as a mound on the ground. The best way I can describe it is if you were looking down directly from the sky, it would look like a small doorway.

Well don't know if it's technically a cairn but came across what looks like some old burial structure. Most of it seems to be in the ground and the only reason I spotted it was because a limestone slab covering it seems to have hald fallen in. Otherwise it would have just appeared as a mound on the ground. The best way I can describe it is if you were looking down directly from the sky, it would look like a small doorway.
    Sounds as if it could be a souterrain or a cistern, or even part of an old field drain - some of them used to be beautifully made and stone lined - if its not in a place associated with burial. Do you have a photo?

Sounds as if it could be a souterrain or a cistern, or even part of an old field drain - some of them used to be beautifully made and stone lined - if its not in a place associated with burial. Do you have a photo?
    Feck, no photo. Will have to go back and take a snap. I'll post it when I do!

Got someone with a head for archaey stuff to look at it and they think it's a fulacht fia. It's not on the mapviewer either. Still have to get a photo as well!

Got someone with a head for archaey stuff to look at it and they think it's a fulacht fia. It's not on the mapviewer either. Still have to get a photo as well!
    Can we use it for the Political World barbecue ?

Hmm fulacht fias are very common around the country and often appear as a raised bank in a horseshoe shape or indeed are often ploughed out and can appear as dark patches in the soil with burnt bits of stone surfacing when the ground is ploughed.

Here's a good example adjoining Drombeg Stone Circle, Drombeg, Co. Cork. I assume this particular one was the subject of an archaeological excavation at some point in time

It has a horse shoe shaped mound, covered in moss and pine needles and what looks like a flat slab which fell in allowing the inside stone work to become visible. That's the only reason I noticed it, otherwise it would have looked like raised earth.

The politcalworld bbq shall commence next June for our customary two week summer

Bloody border!
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

It has a horse shoe shaped mound, covered in moss and pine needles and what looks like a flat slab which fell in allowing the inside stone work to become visible. That's the only reason I noticed it, otherwise it would have looked like raised earth.
    Odds on favourite for a fulacht fia for sure I'd be thinking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast