Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mogul Denis O'Brien vs. Free Speech

Thumbs down Mogul Denis O'Brien vs. Free Speech

Colm Keena reports in today's IT that media mogul Denis O'Brien is pissed off over something Sam Smyth said concerning him and the Moriarty Tribunal on TV3's Tonight with Vincent Browne.

The show (link below), which was aired on June 24, features a lengthy discussion during which Smyth says something to the effect that if a crime was committed in the awarding of Ireland's second mobile phone license it would be one of the biggest in Irish corporate history.

The Independent journo received two letters from the big cheese's solicitors this week threatening legal action.

I remember being a little disappointed after viewing the show as nothing new was revealed (it was basically a refresher course on the Inquiry). I was also aware of how carefully the guests framed the discussion so as to avoid any legal problems that might arise.

http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=2...full_episodes=

It's not enough that this Inquiry has been delayed for over a decade but now we're not even allowed discuss it.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 12-02-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Default Re: Mogul Denis O'Brien Bullies Journalist Sam Smyth

I remember watching this show as well and noticing how careful the panelists were. I think it was Sam Smyth, Shane Coleman and Colm Keena. They were walking on eggshells. Isn't it interesting that these guys would have no problem having a frank discussion about any of the top politicians including all the government ministers but are so subdued and reticent when it come to discussing O'Brien?
    I suppose that given his grip over the Irish media and his no holds barred attack on the Moriarty Tribunal it makes a lot of sense to tread carefully around him if you value your career prospects in the Irish media.

Dennis giving a gee up speech to young Irish American professionals back in March:
    Ireland's richest man, Denis O'Brien, is confident that the Irish economy is on the way up, but feels Irish people need to gain more confidence to help it rise again.
    Irish people are so worried about their reputation,” O’Brien said at an Irish Network NYC event on Tuesday.
    The Digitcel founder admitted that were he to start an enterprise in Ireland today, there would be only one business that would attract him.

“I’d set up a bank,” he told the audience.
    Although a globe-rotting businessman with ventures in far flung parts of the world, O’Brien believes there’s no place like home.

“Irish people are fun, they have great humor, and a good outlook. I like to go home to refill with those things, and then go off again,” says O’Brien, who spends about 100 days per year in Ireland, but is a resident of Malta.
    The only thing to bring him back to Ireland to live full-time? “Illness,” he said with a laugh.
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Bil...-89081817.html
    Pretty much tells you all you need to know about this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    Dennis giving a gee up speech to young Irish American professionals back in March:

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Bil...-89081817.html
    Pretty much tells you all you need to know about this guy.
    I just took a quick look at residency rules - 183 days max in Ireland and 90 in the UK.

Can 183 days possibly be right ? And does that include travel days ?

Disappointing title Musashi, You had me hoping a few digs were thrown in both directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    Disappointing title Musashi, You had me hoping a few digs were thrown in both directions.

I'd pay ready cash to see that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    O'Brien would have him.
    He probably took exception to the ******* comment in the first ten minutes of TwVB.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 18-07-2010 at 08:16 AM.

I'm walking on eggshells too - please be sure not to post or quote any defamatory material here - any allegations must be proven, chapter and verse.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I'm walking on eggshells too - please be sure not to post or quote any defamatory material here - any allegations must be proven, chapter and verse.
    Is it o.k to quote from source say the Irish Times that it reported that A.N.Other took bribes, showing the link etc??

Quote Originally Posted by Controller View Post
    Is it o.k to quote from source say the Irish Times that it reported that A.N.Other took bribes, showing the link etc??
    You're very welcome to post a link to any reputable published source and to summarise what it says, but should not repeat anything that is damaging to someone's reputation that is not substantiated.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 22-07-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Default Re: Mogul Denis O'Brien Threatens Journalist Sam Smyth

Quote Originally Posted by musashi View Post
    Colm Keena reports in today's IT that media mogul Denis O'Brien has sand in his vagina over something Sam Smyth said concerning him and the Moriarty Tribunal on TV3's Tonight with Vincent Browne.

The show (link below), which was aired on June 24, features a lengthy discussion during which Smyth says something to the effect that if a crime was committed in the awarding of Ireland's second mobile phone license it would be one of the biggest in Irish corporate history.

The Independent journo received two letters from the big cheese's solicitors this week threatening legal action.

I remember being a little disappointed after viewing the show as nothing new was revealed (it was basically a refresher course on the Inquiry). I was also aware of how carefully the guests framed the discussion so as to avoid any legal problems that might arise.

http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=2...full_episodes=

It's not enough that this Inquiry has been delayed for over a decade but now we're not even allowed discuss it.
    Chapter and verse of said threatening. A disgrace, easily answered. Don't buy any newspaper that O'Brien influences.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/04/27/...king-for-this/

This is sensational and ominous stuff. Hope the ( non-Indo ) print media carry it in full tomorrow.

Smyth is being threatened and should be supported by his colleagues.

McDowell mentioned this piece on broadsheet on three occasions in his interview with Pat Kenny this morning. McDowell of course represented Gavin Reilly in his negotiations on his severance package with the IN&M board last week.

Pat Kenny's interview with Michael McDowell this morning is here. It mainly consists of McDowell having a go at Denis O'Brien and Pat throwing a few not so subtle digs at McDowell himself. Starts about 2 minutes in.
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/...33:27-04-2012:

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    McDowell mentioned this piece on broadsheet on three occasions in his interview with Pat Kenny this morning. McDowell of course represented Gavin Reilly in his negotiations on his severance package with the IN&M board last week.
    GTFO, you're kidding.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast