Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: Avaaz.org - Foundations, NGOs and Politics

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The West
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Avaaz.org - Foundations, NGOs and Politics

    Anyone come across this crowd? They claim to be some sort of international do-gooder internet organisation but I smell a rat.
    Don't use your real email address if you contact them as they are also spammers.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 02-02-2017 at 01:30 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,105

    Default Re: Avaaz.org

    Quote Originally Posted by Binn Beal View Post
    Anyone come across this crowd? They claim to be some sort of international do-gooder internet organisation but I smell a rat.
    Don't use your real email address if you contact them as they are also spammers.
    I'd imagine your email inbox would be full if you did sign up as they seem to have their finger in every media pie. Not sure if they are spammers though! But I am open to correction! Avaaz

    Avaaz.org was co-founded by Res Publica, a global civic advocacy group, and Moveon.org, an online community that has pioneered internet advocacy in the United States. Our co-founding team was also composed of a group of global social entrepreneurs from 6 countries, including our Executive Director Ricken Patel, Tom Perriello, Tom Pravda, Eli Pariser, Andrea Woodhouse, Jeremy Heimans, and David Madden. Avaaz is lucky to have the founding partnership and support of leading activist organizations from around the world. MoveOn.org
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    635

    Default Re: Avaaz.org

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    I'd imagine your email inbox would be full if you did sign up as they seem to have their finger in every media pie. Not sure if they are spammers though! But I am open to correction! Avaaz

    Avaaz.org was co-founded by Res Publica, a global civic advocacy group, and Moveon.org, an online community that has pioneered internet advocacy in the United States. Our co-founding team was also composed of a group of global social entrepreneurs from 6 countries, including our Executive Director Ricken Patel, Tom Perriello, Tom Pravda, Eli Pariser, Andrea Woodhouse, Jeremy Heimans, and David Madden. Avaaz is lucky to have the founding partnership and support of leading activist organizations from around the world. MoveOn.org
    I signed up with them years ago and never had any problems with them or with spamming. There's an email opt-out option. Seem sound enough to me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The West
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Avaaz.org

    Do they stand for anything apart for universal niceness. And who are these guys?
    Our co-founding team was also composed of a group of global social entrepreneurs from 6 countries.
    Too sweet to be wholesome, as the granny used to say.

  5. #5
    People Korps Guest

    Default Re: Avaaz.org

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A65VNJSxhQ&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A65VNJSxhQ&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

    This is a good video if a bit sickeningly saccharine and No I would not put my faith in this site
    Last edited by People Korps; 11-07-2010 at 11:37 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The West
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Avaaz.org

    It's a good video despite looking like a Mormon promotion for the second coming but I still can't shake off my misgivings.

    It's possible that I'm just a suspicious oul git.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,031

    Default Re: Avaaz.org

    It sounds like a Soros/US soft psyops type thing. This blogger says it's Soros funded.

    http://www.nelsonguirado.com/index.p...g_s_stop_the_c

  8. #8
    People Korps Guest

    Default Re: Avaaz.org

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    It sounds like a Soros/US soft psyops type thing. This blogger says it's Soros funded.

    http://www.nelsonguirado.com/index.p...g_s_stop_the_c
    soros should fund me, then we would kick butt

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,031

    Default Re: Avaaz.org

    Quote Originally Posted by People Korps View Post
    soros should fund me, then we would kick butt

    If you wanted to back sleazy Bakilev style "democratic leaders", I'm sure he would.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,031

    Default Re: Avaaz.org

    http://off-guardian.org/2015/07/18/a...olly-disguise/

    AVAAZ - "Soros wolf in disguise"

    It is a good piece of research, that shows that Avaaz has supported US war plans for Libya and Syria (and tries to get you to click support) and that its main operatives have solidly US/UK establishment histories.

    Avaaz works by bombarding people with soft feel good issues to support (weapon of mass distraction) and by wrapping US policy objectives up the general happy clappyness. It also purports to organise 'real world' interventions.

    I guess this exposé of social manipulation is more of the current Russian cyber war that is annoying the US so much.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 28-07-2015 at 06:02 AM.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    16,591

    Default Re: Avaaz.org

    Check out the Rosa Luxembourg Foundation affiliated to Die Linke in Germany.

    It has lofty aims:

    Organise political education and disseminate knowledge about social relations in a globalized, unjust and hostile world
    Provide a venue for critical analysis of current capitalism; act as a hub for programmatic discussions about a modern democratic socialism, act as a socialistic think-tank for political alternatives
    Be a forum in Germany and internationally that supports dialogue between left-socialistic powers, socialistic movements and organisations, left-minded intellectuals and non-governmental organisations
    Grant funding to young scholars via undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships
    Give impulses to self-defining socialistic political activities and support commitment to peace and international understanding for a socially just and solidary union
    And it's budget just keeps growing and growing .. now over 43 milion Euros a year. Accordingly, so does it's international spread;

    As of 2013, the RLF had 197 staff members, including 172 fulltime staffers, and had offices in 19 countries besides Germany, including Tunisia, Turkey, Mexico, Ecuador, Brazil, Belgium, Poland, Senegal, Tanzania, Russia, Serbia, India, Vietnam, China, Greece, Israel, Palestine and South Africa.
    So where does all the money come from? Well, yes ... the German government.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in the national interest
    Posts
    17,667

    Default Re: Avaaz.org

    Avaaz is dodgy alright

    http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/05/...vestment-tour/ - Author of this investigation has a very good website on this stuff but it seems to be down at the minute.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,467

    Default Re: Avaaz.org

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    AVAAZ - "Soros wolf in disguise"
    Please tell me you're aware that the anti-Soros conspiracy theories that float around the net are funded by the far right?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,031

    Default Re: Avaaz.org

    Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Please tell me you're aware that the anti-Soros conspiracy theories that float around the net are funded by the far right?

    Please give me evidence of same.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,031

    Default Re: Avaaz.org

    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us