Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Thread: No Anglo Irish Prosecution "for Several Years"

Default Re: No Anglo Irish Prosecution "for Several Years"

I can't see all of the Times article, as it has a paywall. The Independent article states that, according to Mr O'Connell, the Gardai seemed to prioritise the 'Section 60' (share support) case. That might have made sense, as there was a chance of snaring other players.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-35424321.html
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    I can't see all of the Times article, as it has a paywall. The Independent article states that, according to Mr O'Connell, the Gardai seemed to prioritise the 'Section 60' (share support) case. That might have made sense, as there was a chance of snaring other players.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-35424321.html
    Possibly, but I think the ODCE was incredibly under-resourced. O'Connell seems to have been out of his depth in terms of experience and to be working around the clock trying to cope.

The Gardai at the ODCE were I thought seconded, and part of the ODCE - so how would it be appropriate for them to be doing their own thing ?

Surely they were acting to Appleby?

Leaving the ODCE in this state must have been a political decision.

Surely Appleby asked for more staff ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Possibly, but I think the ODCE was incredibly under-resourced. O'Connell seems to have been out of his depth in terms of experience and to be working around the clock trying to cope.

The Gardai at the ODCE were I thought seconded, and part of the ODCE - so how would it be appropriate for them to be doing their own thing ?

The idea of Gardai being seconded to the ODCE is also weird. Unless I am misunderstanding the law, there is a very strict legal Chinese wall between the two. Can anyone confirm ?

2010 the ODCE head was saying the investigation would only take months.

http://www.politicalworld.org/showth...5847#post45847
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

All fair points. Appleby did ask for more staff back in Ahern's era but was rebuffed.
    Last edited by pluralist; 25-05-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

The idea of Gardai being seconded to the ODCE is also weird. Unless I am misunderstanding the law, there is a very strict legal Chinese wall between the two. Can anyone confirm ?

2010 the ODCE head was saying the investigation would only take months.

http://www.politicalworld.org/showth...5847#post45847
    Gardai are also seconded to Revenue Commissioners.

When you talk of Chinese walls, do you mean Chinese walls between the investigations and prosecutorial functions of the state?

OCE under discussion on the Marian Finucane show this morning.

Just a reminder that this outfit has very limited powers, and that Government has always made sure there are infinite loopholes for corrupt practices by the rich and wanna be rich.

http://www.politicalworld.org/showth...e#.WSqptNy1tXA
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Widespread coverage on the ODCE in the press today - the media largely ignored the issue back in 2010-11 and are now trawling back over the problems of the Office when the horse has bolted.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243