Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boycott- is Israel the new South Africa?

Question Say no to Israel Campaign

Given the appalling violence of the Israeli military on the high sea's, the blatent act of piracy combined with the theft of ships and cargo including kidnapping. Would it be appropriate to initiate and drive a pan-european or global boycott of Isreali produce and products and retailers, basically refuse to do business with Israel?
    Last edited by Voodoou; 06-06-2010 at 05:10 PM.

Default Boycott- is Israel the new South Africa?

While the debate over accounts of the flotilla raid continues, Israel is facing more boycotting. In the past week, three international acts, including the US rock band the Pixies, have cancelled concerts in Tel Aviv.

Best-settling authors Alice Walker and Iain Banks have backed the boycott campaign, with Banks announcing his books won't be translated into Hebrew. Dockworker unions in Sweden and South Africa have refused to handle Israeli ships, while the UK's Unite union just passed a motion to boycott Israeli companies.
    Opinion of Israel appears to be heading downhill rapidly in the eyes of the rest of the world.

Will the boycott Israel movement grow further? Remember the Dunne's stores workers who refused to handle South African fruit, and where that ended up?

edit: link to article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...-gaza-flotilla
    Last edited by yehbut_nobut; 07-06-2010 at 06:19 PM.

Default Re: Boycott- is Israel the new South Africa?

Quote Originally Posted by yehbut_nobut View Post
    Opinion of Israel appears to be heading downhill rapidly in the eyes of the rest of the world.

Will the boycott Israel movement grow further? Remember the Dunne's stores workers who refused to handle South African fruit, and where that ended up?

edit: link to article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...-gaza-flotilla
    Hope you don't mind - I just merged a one-post thread from yesterday to your thread title.

I think there may be the support now for a boycott of Israeli goods. There are already a lot of groups out there working for one, particularly in Cork I think and I remember at the time of the attack on Gaza that there were lists of products.

The success of the Dunnes boycott stemmed from the refusal of workers in shops to sell the produce, so perhaps the union branches would be the place to start. I think I read that Unite is supporting a boycott.

Great stuff .. I'm delighted to hear about the dockers refusing to handle Israeli cargo. Its the small stuff which adds up to pressure on the Israelis in the same way that the South African boycott did harm them and the debate over the boycott kept issues with South Africa alive in the media.

We need an EU boycott before we can block purchase of armaments from Israel.

The parallels between South Africa under de Klerck and Israel are extraordinary. Both are contrived states which were effectively arranged over the heads of natives of the area.

Both apartheid states. Both in breach of UN resolutions and were allied to each other under banners such as an opposition to the 'dark coloured peoples' (not my phrase but one used historically between Israelis and South Afrikaners to describe the dangers to their faked states).

Both rogue states. Its just taking the Americans too long to see that they are being used but thats because of the AIPAC panic-button jabbing in Washington every time a US pol criticised Israel.

Its a bit like Thatcher and Mandela- Thatcher was dead against sanctions on South Africa and I'm old enough to remember snotnose young conservatives wearing t-shirts saying 'Mandela is a Terrorist'. I bet some of those scumbags are busy pointing out Mandela on TV too their kids now and saying 'Ooh look there's Mr Mandela!'.

If you look at the list of crooks around Thatcherism and its connections with the Israel lobby you begin to understand why Thatcher was so keen on protecting Israel and trading with South Africa. You can't find many in the UK who will admit they were part of that campaign in the UK. Then again Thatcher was surrounded by people like Shirley Porter (whose wiki page still carries the style 'Dame' even though that was withdrawn by the palace after she found 14million down the back of the couch to pay off her fines for gerrymandering in Westminster). Right up to that point she was an impoverished public servant ekeing out a living for herself and her cat in retirement in Israel- despite being the daughter of Sir Jack Cohen who founded Tesco. Robert Maxwell is buried in an exclusive cemetary in Israel despite him being nothing more than a pension thief.

In one sense they havethe same problem in Washington and London that Ireland has had in Dublin. In Washington and London there are people who were born in the UK and carry British passports but they are nothing more than Israeli carpetbaggers. In Dublin we had the problem of ostensibly Irish people working for an external government- the Vatican.

This used to be called 'treason'.
    Last edited by Captain Con O'Sullivan; 08-06-2010 at 11:54 AM.

Kev Bar Guest

Well it was the old South Africa's best buddy. All you had to do was look at the arrival and departure signs in Ben Gurion Airport to see that at the time.

Israel is a pariah state and needs to be ostracised. If it continues to fly in the face of world opionion, interntional law and basic decency, its right to exist needs to be questioned.

Israel has taught us you can create fact.

History has shown us you can erase it too.

I agree Kev- the idea that Israel is enitled to a separate state in the middle east has been one of the most successful lies ever put about by politicians.

There never was an Israeli state (or 'kingdom') in the region. There were various tribes in the region who were Jewish but they were just one subgroup in the region and the lie about them having an indepedent state comes from claims in their religious books concerning 'King' David who is a character from fiction.

I think the US republicans picked up that technique (The Grand Lie) from Israelis as the Bush/Cheney regime showed. Their whole foreign policy was based on useful lies and handed to megaphoners to pass on.

Very similar to AIPAC techniques in Washington.

Nothing new about it. I've been boycotting them since I was 14, 20 years ago.
    Boycott Chiquita

Kev Bar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    I agree Kev- the idea that Israel is enitled to a separate state in the middle east has been one of the most successful lies ever put about by politicians.

There never was an Israeli state (or 'kingdom') in the region. There were various tribes in the region who were Jewish but they were just one subgroup in the region and the lie about them having an indepedent state comes from claims in their religious books concerning 'King' David who is a character from fiction.

I think the US republicans picked up that technique (The Grand Lie) from Israelis as the Bush/Cheney regime showed. Their whole foreign policy was based on useful lies and handed to megaphoners to pass on.

Very similar to AIPAC techniques in Washington.
    They were equally successful in pushing the myth of being prepared to accept parition in 48 were it not for those pesky Arabs.

I look forward to hearing Ian Paisley's explanation of the Scottish Presbyterian Kingdom which existed in Northern Ireland. An Israeli 'kingdom' was just about as historically believeable

The boycott has been going on for decades and is largely ignored by Western Europe and the USA. It is valuable for raising consciousness and pricking consciences but will not harm Israel financially.
    I would pin more hope on that alliance of Turkey, Syria and Iran, which the flotilla massacre brought into being, for putting an end to Israeli terror in the Middle East. Not that there is any military solution, but the US cannot continue to supply the weapons and pay the bills if Israel cannot keep its side of the bargain and keep those others in check.
    As we enter the end-game, Israel is becoming even more contemptuous of world opinion and will make ever greater blunders - attacking Iran maybe - or assassinating Obama (with Irish passports of course).

I agree Binn Beal and think Israel is entering its cornered rat phase. The only problem there being they have nukes supplied to them by the US.

Unbelievable isn't it? All the damn fuss about weapons of mass destruction and the blasted yanks go and hand nukes to what may turn out to be the real rogue state in the Middle East.

They actually armed em up on Israeli jets in the Six Day War when it looked like the Eqyptians and Syrians were going to overrun them. There's no doubt in my mind that the last act by Israel would quite literally be scorched earth (Damascus, Cairo and quite possibly Riyadh and other Saudi cities).

They've got enough to hit all the Islamic holy cities and I doubt they'd hesitate. Its going to be some tortuous fun watching the American trying to handle that end-scenario without admitting they were the ones who handed Israel the capability.

Ironic also that all my life I've been listening to the only state in the world who have ever dropped a nuke on civilians (US) trying to pretend they are interested in nuclear disarmament. Lets see them disarm Israel then. Ho ho ho.

LIDL SAYS it to stop selling two lines of baby potatoes sourced from Israel in its Irish stores, but the German discounter denies the move is politically motivated.

The two lines will switch to an alternative source “in line with seasonable changes”, a spokeswoman for the retailer said.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...272124900.html

The boycott campaign is getting more energetic. The tactic seems to be to load Israeli produce into trolleys, take it to the exit and leave it there. Harsh on the shelf stackers, but perhaps more effective than a leaflet at the entrance.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-n...e-2218656.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast