Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SIPTU President Nearly Loses It On Tonight With Vincent Browne

Default Re: SIPTU President Nearly Loses It On Tonight With Vincent Browne

Quote Originally Posted by Binn Beal View Post
    Well Sinn Féin really blew it today with no policy on water charges and their TDs all pulling in different directions - some definitely not paying, some paying and even some not sure what they will do. This is hardly the vanguard party of a new republic and it still hasn't realised that its support is based on that great and respectable body of people, the people of no property.

In the discussion following today's great turnout by the people, Sinn Féin is irrelevant and that's the very worst place for a party wanting power to be.
    It's clear that Sinn Fein does not have "In principle" positions on pretty well anything, from water, to the banks, to wealth tax, you name it. Sinn Fein is focused on power, not policy and is treading in the shoes of FG and FF.

I'm still of the view that SF's fall in the polls is probably more to do with their lack of principle on water tax than with anything else. By all means, they should be pushed as far in the direction of the people as can be, but I would not have any reliance on them delivering.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post

Unions could realign, leave Labour and support the AAA.
    I couldn't see it realigning with the AAA to be honest. It just makes me laugh that there are some folk out there, a sizable amount now, who crib and moan about the direction "their" union take on things like this, and they wouldn't cross the road to get involved in a union apart from paying their fees to take representation should they happen to have trouble in work. When the unions are totted up they are the biggest civil society movement in the state, if people moved away from the mindset that you join them to keep out of trouble, then they would achieve so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Launchbury View Post
    I couldn't see it realigning with the AAA to be honest. It just makes me laugh that there are some folk out there, a sizable amount now, who crib and moan about the direction "their" union take on things like this, and they wouldn't cross the road to get involved in a union apart from paying their fees to take representation should they happen to have trouble in work. When the unions are totted up they are the biggest civil society movement in the state, if people moved away from the mindset that you join them to keep out of trouble, then they would achieve so much more.
    These things don't happen overnight.

These are the unions involved in the Right2Water

http://right2water.ie/blog/unions-affiliated-right2water-urge-members-join-nationwide-demonstrations

“ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    These things don't happen overnight.

These are the unions involved in the Right2Water

http://right2water.ie/blog/unions-affiliated-right2water-urge-members-join-nationwide-demonstrations

No they don't but they involve people having to get involved at their grassroots rather than sitting sniping from a distance. Outside of here, and I'm not saying it happens here as I don't know what folk do in their spare time, the biggest snipers I know that are union members have no intention of getting involved in affecting change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Worth remembering before judging many young office and customer service or clerical workers in the towns and cities don't have the right to join a union. This is the fault, or indeed the policy, of the government for not bringing in real collective bargaining like Austria has for example in every workplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    Worth remembering before judging many young office and customer service or clerical workers in the towns and cities don't have the right to join a union. This is the fault, or indeed the policy, of the government for not bringing in real collective bargaining like Austria has for example in every workplace.
    Collective bargaining is down to be legislated for, if the government manages to hang onto power. I assume you are referring to my last point, I'm more talking about existing union members who only see it as a sort of cheap solicitors service as opposed to a movement that could affect change if enough people were active.

It's very limited though isn't it, and committee based rather than legal obligations on the employer, if I remember govt. interviews right. It'll be hard to see FG letting Labour away with much on that score.

Why can't we just tell every employer they have to recognise trade unions, and have sectoral agreements above the min. wage? This would encourage and ensure a living wage for all of us at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    It's very limited though isn't it, and committee based rather than legal obligations on the employer, if I remember govt. interviews right. It'll be hard to see FG letting Labour away with much on that score.

Why can't we just tell every employer they have to recognise trade unions, and have sectoral agreements above the min. wage? This would encourage and ensure a living wage for all of us at home.
    Never gonna get it as complete as it should be when 60 odd percent insist on voting FG/FF

Quote Originally Posted by Launchbury View Post
    Never gonna get it as complete as it should be when 60 odd percent insist on voting FG/FF
    In Austria it's the Social Democrats as the larger party, some type of Liberal Democrat/FG lite as the smaller party. Squeezed by the Greens on the left and the rightwing populists on the other side.

All the social democratic things like this from what I've heard and read are enshrined for decades though.

You might be interested to know your taxes cover childcare and healthcare, not to mention everything else, over here.

Agree.

Jack doesn't want to pay more tax

The head of one of the country's largest trade unions has agreed with the Taoiseach's warning over water charges.

Last night Enda Kenny said the abolition of the charges would lead to a 4% hike in income tax.

Today, SIPTU's Jack O'Connor has echoed that sentiment, saying that the Government will need to make up a shortfall in funding if householders refuse to pay Irish water.

Mr O'Connor also says that the coalition will be forced to hike taxes and seek private investment to plug the gap.

“What’s going to happen now is that Irish Water won’t be able to collect its revenues to a sufficient degree,” he said.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...es-649499.html
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

The wealthy beard has to go, he missed the mood of the Irish people as he did on many occasions before. Sipto need new leaders and not just greedy C??t's. It is supposed to be a union controlled by its members, not by clowns that do not how to read the mood of it's members.
    "I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure". Clarence Darrow

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    Threatening us with privatisation of water now: nice.

i suppose it was Jack that did the deal on the bonuses etc.

Well, the people who got the posts were I'm sure mainly delighted with him. He's quite an operator.

He must also be a very rich man at this stage.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

I bet Senator Jack O'Connor will be a shoe-in to several nice state boards when he retires.

Default SIPTU President Nearly Loses It On Tonight With Vincent Browne

Quote Originally Posted by Binn Beal View Post
    I bet Senator Jack O'Connor will be a shoe-in to several nice state boards when he retires.
    You are assuming that the Labour Party will be in a position to award senatorial/board positions after the next election??? Hmm!
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast