Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Happiness

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Default Re: Happiness

Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    heard a guy raymond froggart singing Dreaming Of You on the radio the other day
    cannot find it anywhere ,any idea's where id get it ??
    Did you try HMV?
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

The latest World Happiness Report has just been published this week. http://worldhappiness.report/

I was very struck by the actions of a CEO in California recently who, on learning of the findings from the last report, decided to cut his own salary from $1 m to $70,000, the level at which the researchers say happiness is optimal. His 120 employees will see their salaries reach or exceed this level over the next three years. Well done, that chap!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/14/bu...pgtype=article

Default Re: Is Gross National Happiness more crucial than GNP?

Exercise and short working weeks keep people happy in Holland.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10255905.html
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

The Conquest of Happiness, 1930,
    by Bertrand Russell
    Chapter 4: Boredom and excitement

Boredom as a factor in human behaviour has received, in my opinion, far less attention than it deserves. It has been, I believe, one of the great motive powers throughout the historical epoch, and is so at the present day more than ever. Boredom would seem to be a distinctively human emotion. Animals in captivity, it is true, become listless, pace up and down, and yawn, but in a state of nature I do not believe that they experience anything analogous to boredom. Most of the time they are on the look-out for enemies, or food, or both; sometimes they are mating, sometimes they are trying to keep warm. But even when they are unhappy, I do not think that they are bored. Possibly anthropoid apes may resemble us in this respect, as in so many others, but having never lived with them I have not had the opportunity to make the experiment. One of the essentials of boredom consists in the contrast between present circumstances and some other more agreeable circumstances which force themselves irresistibly upon the imagination. It is also one of the essentials of boredom that one's faculties must not be fully occupied. Running away from enemies who are trying to take one's life is, I imagine, unpleasant, but certainly not boring. A man would not feel bored while he was being executed, unless he had almost superhuman courage. In like manner no one has ever yawned during his maiden speech in the House of Lords, with the exception of the late Duke of Devonshire, who was reverenced by their Lordships in consequence. Boredom is essentially a thwarted desire for events, not necessarily pleasant ones, but just occurrences such as will enable the victim of ennui to know one day from another. The opposite of boredom, in a word, is not pleasure, but excitement.

FULL TEXT here...http://russell-j.com/beginner/COH-TEXT.HTM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Russell 2.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	970  
    Last edited by riposte; 18-05-2015 at 11:46 PM.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

A feeling of belonging to groups is most important to happiness (research results)

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/lifestyle/f...id=mailsignout

I'm coming to an awareness that the individual persona is a vastly over-emphasised phenomenon. The arts, psychology and politics have all tended to place the focus on supposed individuals as discrete and separate entities. In reality, attitudes, beliefs and behaviours of individuals are primarily social/species based - Joe Bloggs in 1990, single factory worker, is simply not the same person ( bar a few faulty memories) as Joe Bloggs in 2010, grandfather, running a nightclub in Spain.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678