Thread: What to do when "Locked Out".

Default What to do when "Locked Out".

Well this is one good way to make it happen. I can vouch for this method as it was the one I used.

First you drop your laptop. Apparently they don't like that, especially if they are running and the hard-drive discs are spinning.

They dislike that to such an extent that even though there might be no visible damage the brain of the computer might well be what the repair guy described as "Banjaxed", an I T technical term apparently.

Now to really do the full job it is important that you have for years relied on your computer to remember the amusing and highly intricate password which you were sure all those years ago you would never forget.

But have now forgotten.

Then you find that the reCAPTCHA anti-spam yoke on your favourite forum is not working so you cannot even do the "forgot your password" thing and reset your O-SO-Clever password.

In vane you trawl through your memory for long lost passwords and try them out, 5 at a time before waiting 15 minutes before trying again.

You hope in vane that there is something which will alert the Mods that there is some idiot hammering on the door trying to get back in.

AND THEN! You have an idea. Maybe...just maybe that Tapatalk thing that Redact uses to wake people up at ungodly hours of the morning might be a way.

AND YES! It is a way back in. You can bypass the reCAPTCHA thing and reset your password.

So thanks a bleeden lot ye all, ya would have left me out there freezing me goolies off and not even noticed

The moral(s) of this tale are:

1 don't forget your password.

2 if you are going to drop your computer do it when it is not working

3 Join Tapatalk

4 You can bang on the door as much as you like, you won't be heard.

Also, as reCAPTCHA is not working does that mean that prospective new members cannot join?

Default Re: What to do when "Locked Out".

Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post
    Well this is one good way to make it happen. I can vouch for this method as it was the one I used.

First you drop your laptop. Apparently they don't like that, especially if they are running and the hard-drive discs are spinning.

They dislike that to such an extent that even though there might be no visible damage the brain of the computer might well be what the repair guy described as "Banjaxed", an I T technical term apparently.

Now to really do the full job it is important that you have for years relied on your computer to remember the amusing and highly intricate password which you were sure all those years ago you would never forget.

But have now forgotten.

Then you find that the reCAPTCHA anti-spam yoke on your favourite forum is not working so you cannot even do the "forgot your password" thing and reset your O-SO-Clever password.

In vane you trawl through your memory for long lost passwords and try them out, 5 at a time before waiting 15 minutes before trying again.

You hope in vane that there is something which will alert the Mods that there is some idiot hammering on the door trying to get back in.

AND THEN! You have an idea. Maybe...just maybe that Tapatalk thing that Redact uses to wake people up at ungodly hours of the morning might be a way.

AND YES! It is a way back in. You can bypass the reCAPTCHA thing and reset your password.

So thanks a bleeden lot ye all, ya would have left me out there freezing me goolies off and not even noticed

The moral(s) of this tale are:

1 don't forget your password.

2 if you are going to drop your computer do it when it is not working

3 Join Tapatalk

4 You can bang on the door as much as you like, you won't be heard.

Also, as reCAPTCHA is not working does that mean that prospective new members cannot join?
    The reCAPTCHA thing means exactly that.
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

You can use a password manager. I've never done.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password_manager

Some PM recs.Same ones repeat.
    https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407168,00.asp

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-best-p...ers-directory/

i use a spreadsheet with different types/levels for different purposes.
    I have one set of themes I use for financial. Different themes for work related, online shopping, social media etc., but all with a similar format

Pick your themes, devise a format and record on a spread. 10 themes each with one master and 9 related subs is easy enough to manage.

Something as simple as 0123456789 can become: ZerO1TwO3FouR5SiX7EighT9 or 0OnE2ThreE4FivE6SeveN8NinE or some other variant.

As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by statsman1 View Post
    The reCAPTCHA thing means exactly that.
    That is a bad situation for any forum to be in. If it is a matter of paying for the reCaptcha thing there should be a collection made. The sort of thing used for a new club house or church roof, with a barometer sort of yoke to show progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    You can use a password manager. I've never done.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password_manager

Some PM recs.Same ones repeat.
    https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407168,00.asp

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-best-p...ers-directory/

i use a spreadsheet with different types/levels for different purposes.
    I have one set of themes I use for financial. Different themes for work related, online shopping, social media etc., but all with a similar format

Pick your themes, devise a format and record on a spread. 10 themes each with one master and 9 related subs is easy enough to manage.

Something as simple as 0123456789 can become: ZerO1TwO3FouR5SiX7EighT9 or 0OnE2ThreE4FivE6SeveN8NinE or some other variant.

I am going to write them down, put them somewhere very safe, and then probably not be able to find them

Also I now use variations of only two passwords. Which is just a little better than using the same password for everything.