Thread: Mocking laughter at Trump puffing

Default Mocking laughter at Trump puffing

1. Michael H Fuchs is a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress, and a former deputy assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific affairs. The following are excerpts from his 25 September 2018 article headlined "Trump is a laughingstock. But if we weren't laughing, we'd be crying".

(Begin excerpts)
    At the UN general assembly, world leaders laughed at the US president after he bragged about his own performance. Perhaps they needed comic relief.

For the rest of the world, President Donald Trump’s America is a laughingstock, not a leader.

That was the takeaway from Trump’s speech to the 2018 United Nations general assembly. Trump opened his speech the same way he opens his campaign rallies, TV interviews, and probably conversations with every visitor he meets: “In less than two years, my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country.”

The response from the leaders assembled in the room? Laughter. The entire world literally laughed at the US president – and they weren’t laughing with him.

Even Trump himself was taken aback: “I did not expect that reaction …”

And while reporters and foreign policy experts could not recall another leader ever before drawing derisive laughter at a UN speech, it did not end there. When Trump made another claim – “Germany will become totally dependent on Russian energy …” – the cameras revealed the German delegation laughing and snickering to one another.

With Trump’s own behavior and policies as a backdrop, the substance of Trump’s speech merited laughter – it was an incomprehensible joke.

The main theme of Trump’s speech was protecting US “sovereignty” and he said that all countries should do likewise. He claimed: “The United States will not tell you how to live, work or worship. We only ask that you honor our sovereignty in return.” But shortly thereafter Trump spent portions of his speech telling Iran and Venezuela what to do at home.

In the Middle East, Trump claims his “new approach is yielding great strides and very historic change” as he announced that the United States is working with Gulf countries, Jordan and Egypt to establish a strategic alliance. Moments later, Trump reversed course and launched a broadside against Opec (of which the Gulf states are the key members) for “ripping off the rest of the world”.

Unfortunately, the consequences of the policies embedded within Trump’s speech are no joke. They can inflict lasting damage.....

The list of Trump’s foreign policies and the ways they can wreak havoc can go on and on. Trump didn’t even once mention climate change – which his administration refuses to believe even exists – the greatest existential threat facing the world today.

Perhaps most telling was the list of countries that Trump highlighted at the end of his speech as those embodying the “dreams” of the kind of nations our children will inherit.....If these countries are Trump’s idea of the future we want to leave for our children, Trump’s vision of the world he wants to build is quite dark.

Perhaps the laughter in the room during Trump’s speech was a tinged with a sense of anxiety and dread. Perhaps it was the response that comes from those who recognize they are listening to a reckless, dangerous vision from the leader of the world’s most powerful country. And all one can do is muster is a despondent chuckle. (End excerpts)

P.S. Trump must have never dreamed that he went all the way to the UN general assembly just to be laughed at by other countries. What a joke !

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...neral-assembly

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8554506.html
    "Now FBI has to sieve through all tweets and rally speeches by Trump for any 'China, if you're listening' remark." -- Reedak

"What happens when you're confronted with a politician (Trump) who is utterly without shame? You can reveal where he's lied, explain all the facts, and try as hard as you can to inoculate the public against his falsehoods. But by the time you've done that, he has already told 10 more lies." -- Paul Waldman

Default Re: Mocking laughter at Trump puffing

Quote Originally Posted by reedak View Post
    1. Michael H Fuchs is a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress, and a former deputy assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific affairs. The following are excerpts from his 25 September 2018 article headlined "Trump is a laughingstock. But if we weren't laughing, we'd be crying".

(Begin excerpts)
    At the UN general assembly, world leaders laughed at the US president after he bragged about his own performance. Perhaps they needed comic relief.

For the rest of the world, President Donald Trump’s America is a laughingstock, not a leader.

That was the takeaway from Trump’s speech to the 2018 United Nations general assembly. Trump opened his speech the same way he opens his campaign rallies, TV interviews, and probably conversations with every visitor he meets: “In less than two years, my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country.”

The response from the leaders assembled in the room? Laughter. The entire world literally laughed at the US president – and they weren’t laughing with him.

Even Trump himself was taken aback: “I did not expect that reaction …”

And while reporters and foreign policy experts could not recall another leader ever before drawing derisive laughter at a UN speech, it did not end there. When Trump made another claim – “Germany will become totally dependent on Russian energy …” – the cameras revealed the German delegation laughing and snickering to one another.

With Trump’s own behavior and policies as a backdrop, the substance of Trump’s speech merited laughter – it was an incomprehensible joke.

The main theme of Trump’s speech was protecting US “sovereignty” and he said that all countries should do likewise. He claimed: “The United States will not tell you how to live, work or worship. We only ask that you honor our sovereignty in return.” But shortly thereafter Trump spent portions of his speech telling Iran and Venezuela what to do at home.

In the Middle East, Trump claims his “new approach is yielding great strides and very historic change” as he announced that the United States is working with Gulf countries, Jordan and Egypt to establish a strategic alliance. Moments later, Trump reversed course and launched a broadside against Opec (of which the Gulf states are the key members) for “ripping off the rest of the world”.

Unfortunately, the consequences of the policies embedded within Trump’s speech are no joke. They can inflict lasting damage.....

The list of Trump’s foreign policies and the ways they can wreak havoc can go on and on. Trump didn’t even once mention climate change – which his administration refuses to believe even exists – the greatest existential threat facing the world today.

Perhaps most telling was the list of countries that Trump highlighted at the end of his speech as those embodying the “dreams” of the kind of nations our children will inherit.....If these countries are Trump’s idea of the future we want to leave for our children, Trump’s vision of the world he wants to build is quite dark.

Perhaps the laughter in the room during Trump’s speech was a tinged with a sense of anxiety and dread. Perhaps it was the response that comes from those who recognize they are listening to a reckless, dangerous vision from the leader of the world’s most powerful country. And all one can do is muster is a despondent chuckle. (End excerpts)

P.S. Trump must have never dreamed that he went all the way to the UN general assembly just to be laughed at by other countries. What a joke !

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...neral-assembly

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8554506.html
    It was the most refreshing moment so far in the entire farrago that is the Dumpster's presidency.
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

Quote Originally Posted by statsman1 View Post
    It was the most refreshing moment so far in the entire farrago that is the Dumpster's presidency.
    the man is so out of touch with reality he even commented that "he was surprised about their reaction" .. then tried to flip it so it would appear on camera they were laughing "with him", not "at him"... (keeping in mind the man is not stupid and everything he does is a Camera Stint)

it is not clear (to me) what he tells himself at night... "They Love ME! They Adore Me ! Did you see the Adoration in their smiling faces? it was tremendous !! " (must be his bedtime riddle before sleep)

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    the man is so out of touch with reality he even commented that "he was surprised about their reaction" .. then tried to flip it so it would appear on camera they were laughing "with him", not "at him"... (keeping in mind the man is not stupid and everything he does is a Camera Stint)

it is not clear (to me) what he tells himself at night... "They Love ME! They Adore Me ! Did you see the Adoration in their smiling faces? it was tremendous !! " (must be his bedtime riddle before sleep)
    He's a clever moron, he really is.
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

Extraordinary scenes when world leaders openly laugh at POTUS. Where his NATO allies conspire with Russia and China to support Iran - in direct opposition to US policy.

I wouldn't wish him any harm, but he is surely a major liability to the USA at the moment - and a threat to its worldwide alliances?

A onetime useful idiot who may have outlived his usefulness.

Quote Originally Posted by Publicrealm View Post
    Extraordinary scenes when world leaders openly laugh at POTUS. Where his NATO allies conspire with Russia and China to support Iran - in direct opposition to US policy.

I wouldn't wish him any harm, but he is surely a major liability to the USA at the moment - and a threat to its worldwide alliances?

A onetime useful idiot who may have outlived his usefulness.
    nothing will happen to the moron (I will just stick to Kelly's adjectives) .. we will simply wait for it to exit through the back door .. i dont think he is a liability to the US at this point, the US lost credibility around the World and that is a simple fact that ppl in DC already have come to terms with.

What he did was to hand over the US geopolitical influence to the the EU+China+Russia (all of this under 2 years WOW !!)
    This moves the geopolitical power axis over to the caucasian area and the Americas go down one notch as they have been for most of its history ..

The problem is if we get two power axis: One Cauc-asian and the other US-UK? A sidelined US is a bit of a danger to the rest of the world in my opinion so care must be exercised on the other axis..

I dont know it could get ugly theoretically ...

I am hoping we can resolve all of it on our end with the peaceful voting midterms coming up and then 2020..

If 2020 goes the moron's way then you can be sure we will ALL have a problem.

I'm not so sure we can wait until he exits by the back door - if he does.

Lots of people may exit in body bags if he is not restrained. His rhetoric on Iran is dangerous:

So imagine the danger if, when the US embargoes Iranian oil, the IRGC attempts to block the Strait of Hormuz in retaliation, as it has threatened to do, or Iran’s allies in Yemen fire missiles at Saudi tankers in the Red Sea, as has happened recently. The US naval base in Bahrain could also be a target. What will the armchair warriors Trump and Bolton do then? Given their reckless posturing to date, they would have little alternative but to respond with force. There is, after all, no direct diplomatic route, no way of talking reasonably. Their idiotic behaviour has seen to that.

On the Iran question, the US has alienated European friends and Russian and Chinese rivals alike, spurning their advice and threatening their trade. Trump is busy burning bridges, not building them. Unless something changes soon, by accident or by design, he will have his war

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ident-midterms

Quote Originally Posted by Publicrealm View Post
    I'm not so sure we can wait until he exits by the back door - if he does.

Lots of people may exit in body bags if he is not restrained. His rhetoric on Iran is dangerous:

So imagine the danger if, when the US embargoes Iranian oil, the IRGC attempts to block the Strait of Hormuz in retaliation, as it has threatened to do, or Iran’s allies in Yemen fire missiles at Saudi tankers in the Red Sea, as has happened recently. The US naval base in Bahrain could also be a target. What will the armchair warriors Trump and Bolton do then? Given their reckless posturing to date, they would have little alternative but to respond with force. There is, after all, no direct diplomatic route, no way of talking reasonably. Their idiotic behaviour has seen to that.

On the Iran question, the US has alienated European friends and Russian and Chinese rivals alike, spurning their advice and threatening their trade. Trump is busy burning bridges, not building them. Unless something changes soon, by accident or by design, he will have his war

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ident-midterms

dont worry too much about his rhetoric

the man is a tweeterer that lost his credibility and as far as i can tell there's responsible people around him that have been pulling the rug when necessary

like an 11 year old with ADHD he loses his focus easily ... but i agree it will become MUCH more difficult for the people at the WH to keep him under control if the midterms go positive for the GOP and if he wins 2020 then i think you have good reason to get VERY worried about it (as I am)