Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Cosby sentenced to three to ten years in Jail

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    200

    Default Cosby sentenced to three to ten years in Jail

    Despite pleas that he is old etc, the Judge has said that the victim statement by Andrea Constand had convinced him that significant jail time was appropriate. Presumably the lack of remorse did Cosby no favours - and a powerful message has been sent to sexual predators.

    Bill Cosby sentenced to three to 10 years in prison for sexual assault


    Cosby was convicted earlier this year of three counts of aggravated indecent assault, becoming the first celebrity convicted on criminal charges since the 2017 advent of the #MeToo movement against sexual assault and harassment.

    The case is the only one to result in criminal charges against Cosby, but more than 60 women have said he abused or harassed them, with many saying he drugged them and molested them while they were incapacitated. Five other women testified at Cosby’s trial that they had been assaulted. A hearing of the same charges last year ended in a mistrial with a hung jury.

    Constand said the toll on her life has been heavy. “I’m a middle-aged woman who’s been stuck in a holding pattern for most of her adult life, unable to fully heal or to move forward,” she said.
    Cosby's spokesman's comments are, IMO, disgraceful. Playing the race card - will Jesse Jackson now come on board?

    Cosby’s spokesman, Andrew Wyatt, was defiant after the sentencing. He said outside court: “Mr Cosby’s doing great, and Mr Cosby knows that God is watching over him. He knows that these are lies. They persecuted Jesus and look what happened. I’m not saying Mr Cosby is Jesus, but we know what this country has done to black men for centuries.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: Cosby sentenced to three to ten years in Jail

    Quote Originally Posted by maggot View Post
    Despite pleas that he is old etc, the Judge has said that the victim statement by Andrea Constand had convinced him that significant jail time was appropriate. Presumably the lack of remorse did Cosby no favours - and a powerful message has been sent to sexual predators.

    Bill Cosby sentenced to three to 10 years in prison for sexual assault




    Cosby's spokesman's comments are, IMO, disgraceful. Playing the race card - will Jesse Jackson now come on board?
    Too short a sentence, in my view.
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: Cosby sentenced to three to ten years in Jail

    Quote Originally Posted by statsman1 View Post
    Too short a sentence, in my view.
    The statute of limitations thing saved his ass.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,982

    Default Re: Cosby sentenced to three to ten years in Jail

    Some of Cosby's victims were black, so I don't think his lawyer will get anywhere playing the race card, unless Weinstein gets off, or gets a lesser sentence.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: Cosby sentenced to three to ten years in Jail

    Quote Originally Posted by maggot View Post
    The statute of limitations thing saved his ass.
    Indeed.
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: Cosby sentenced to three to ten years in Jail

    Will this cost the company that owns the rights to the Cosby show? Are they run on Cable etc in the USA. Presumably Cosby's work is now toxic, which would be bad luck for other (and innocent) actors who got money from reruns?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: Cosby sentenced to three to ten years in Jail

    Quote Originally Posted by maggot View Post
    Will this cost the company that owns the rights to the Cosby show? Are they run on Cable etc in the USA. Presumably Cosby's work is now toxic, which would be bad luck for other (and innocent) actors who got money from reruns?
    I can't imagine anyone will show it now. And what about the Rowan % Martin's Laugh-in?
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: Cosby sentenced to three to ten years in Jail

    Quote Originally Posted by statsman1 View Post
    I can't imagine anyone will show it now. And what about the Rowan % Martin's Laugh-in?
    I think the Savile thing cost the BBC a lot of money in rerun revenue

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: Cosby sentenced to three to ten years in Jail

    Quote Originally Posted by maggot View Post
    I think the Savile thing cost the BBC a lot of money in rerun revenue
    They can't, for starters, show any TOTP where he presented.
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: Cosby sentenced to three to ten years in Jail

    Quote Originally Posted by statsman1 View Post
    They can't, for starters, show any TOTP where he presented.
    Or the Jim'll fix it shows.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: Cosby sentenced to three to ten years in Jail

    Quote Originally Posted by maggot View Post
    Or the Jim'll fix it shows.
    Small mercies...
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,982

    Default Re: Cosby sentenced to three to ten years in Jail

    Quote Originally Posted by maggot View Post
    I think the Savile thing cost the BBC a lot of money in rerun revenue
    I pity the poor BBC drone whose job was to go back through decades of TOTP episodes and decide which ones could not be shown again.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: Cosby sentenced to three to ten years in Jail

    Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    I pity the poor BBC drone whose job was to go back through decades of TOTP episodes and decide which ones could not be shown again.
    Nightmare job, right enough.
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,982

    Default Re: Cosby sentenced to three to ten years in Jail

    There's a certain degree of hypocrisy here though, the likes of Bowie and Jimmy Page are widely reported to have had sex with underage groupies, but you won't see the likes of the Beeb banning their music.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: Cosby sentenced to three to ten years in Jail

    Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    There's a certain degree of hypocrisy here though, the likes of Bowie and Jimmy Page are widely reported to have had sex with underage groupies, but you won't see the likes of the Beeb banning their music.
    That might be stretching it a bit far, although the Bill Wyman thing with Mandy Smith was outrageous.
    But Cosby was drugging his victims.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us