Thread: Nature Notes

Default Nature Notes

A thread for observations, links, videos, facts and so on about the natural world.

To kick things off, an interesting piece about the yellowhammer, whose song is often rendered as 'a little bit of bread and no cheese' and who aptly gives its name to the UK government's 'no deal' Brexit planning, Operation Yellowhammer. Well worth a read:

https://theconversation.com/yellowha...-the-eu-103066
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

Default Re: Nature Notes

I spend a lot of time in Southwest Cork (which is Great) and enjoy the great variety of bugs there - many not seen in Dublin since I was a child and some never seen in Dublin.

A particular favourite is the so-called Kerry Slug - a magnificent invertebrate - the place is crawling with the beauties. They can slither through the tiniest gaps and they look gorgeous.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slug.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	1276

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/envi...pain-1.3599467

I saw a tit today, 2 of them. Beautiful, they were free and full of life. I did wonder if it would be possible to film them,but I didnt want to take my eyes of them.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Bi ciuin View Post
    I saw a tit today, 2 of them. Beautiful, they were free and full of life. I did wonder if it would be possible to film them,but I didnt want to take my eyes of them.
    Were they blue? Very common this time of year with winter approaching. Here's a few pics of your favourite tits …

http://voice.gardenbird.co.uk/guide-to-tit-family/

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
    Were they blue? Very common this time of year with winter approaching. Here's a few pics of your favourite tits …

http://voice.gardenbird.co.uk/guide-to-tit-family/
    Risky click of the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Bi ciuin View Post
    A pair nested in our birdhouse this year; the work they put in to feeding their brood was something else.

When and where fall foliage colors will peak, in one map
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

The chestnuts are massive and very plentiful this year.

I always end up collecting about 20 or 30 because they are so beautiful.

I think it may be related to the fact that when I was a nipper there were no trees in the part of Dublin where I lived and we would go to the Phoenix Park to collect them. Now, seeing so many just lying on the pavement (an upmarket part of Dublin) triggers some sort of pavlovian hoarding response.

Quote Originally Posted by Publicrealm View Post
    The chestnuts are massive and very plentiful this year.

I always end up collecting about 20 or 30 because they are so beautiful.

I think it may be related to the fact that when I was a nipper there were no trees in the part of Dublin where I lived and we would go to the Phoenix Park to collect them. Now, seeing so many just lying on the pavement (an upmarket part of Dublin) triggers some sort of pavlovian hoarding response.
    I also used to go the the Park for my conkers; mind you, it was a very short walk away.

Almost 50 years ago, my mother took me picking wild mushrooms early one morning around this time of year. There was dew on the grass and birds singing and we filled a bag of small "cupeens", she called them. Back home, she fried them in butter and we had them on thick white bread toasted in front of a SuperSer by my older brother. That morning is one of my fondest memories.