Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RedC/SBP 15/09/18: FG 33%, FF 22%, SF 14%, Ind 13%

Default Re: RedC/SBP 15/09/18: FG 33%, FF 22%, SF 14%, Ind 13%

Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post
    Pretty much. The demise of Labour benefits SF, the SD's and to a lesser extent the alphabettis. The demise of the alphabettis also benefits SF and the SDs. Another very real problem for FF is that they are everyone else's bete noire. Because of Brexit, FG will - perhaps for the first time - pick up SF transfers, that would otherwise have gone to FF (largely because of their playing politics with this issue).

The old truisms are no longer true - FF are not now the natural party of government, SF are no longer transfer toxic, Labour no longer represent the working class, FG are no longer West Brit shoneens, and the disparate nature of the odds and sods means that there's a growing desire for change from the same ol' same ol'.
    So you reckon the next General Election should be a very exciting event? Can't wait!

Pretty much. The demise of Labour benefits SF, the SD's and to a lesser extent the alphabettis. The demise of the alphabettis also benefits SF and the SDs. Another very real problem for FF is that they are everyone else's bete noire. Because of Brexit, FG will - perhaps for the first time - pick up SF transfers, that would otherwise have gone to FF (largely because of their playing politics with this issue).

The old truisms are no longer true - FF are not now the natural party of government, SF are no longer transfer toxic, Labour no longer represent the working class, FG are no longer West Brit shoneens, and the disparate nature of the odds and sods means that there's a growing desire for change from the same ol' same ol'.

Not so sure about the highlighted bit holls. A lot of older folk still find it very difficult to stomach SF. In time - say another 10 years or so - it might be different.

But not yet.

The fence, the capital, the other bits and occasionally the foreign bits

Quote Originally Posted by Publicrealm View Post
    Not so sure about the highlighted bit holls. A lot of older folk still find it very difficult to stomach SF. In time - say another 10 years or so - it might be different.

But not yet.
    Well, Old folk, yes, but new folk not at all. Middle aged folk somewhere in the middle depending on how thran they are. You have to remember that the first time voters in the next election will have been born after the troubles, and most second and third time voters will have little memory of the troubles. Throw in to that mix the prominence of lilywhites, and the leaving of the stage of the troubles generation (yer Gerrys and yer Martins and the like), and you can see where things are going.

I'm actually looking at the transfer patterns right now, and they picked up decent transfer %ages from 9 (greens) to 28 (Sol-PBP) from the parties that were most likely out of the race before them. Less so from FF and FG who- aside from the political differences - were often trying to get a second, or even a third elected.

For example, both FG and FF got most of their transfers from themselves (54% Fg to FG, and 27% FF to FF respectively.)

Well, Old folk, yes, but new folk not at all. Middle aged folk somewhere in the middle depending on how thran they are. You have to remember that the first time voters in the next election will have been born after the troubles, and most second and third time voters will have little memory of the troubles. Throw in to that mix the prominence of lilywhites, and the leaving of the stage of the troubles generation (yer Gerrys and yer Martins and the like), and you can see where things are going.

I'm actually looking at the transfer patterns right now, and they picked up decent transfer %ages from 9 (greens) to 28 (Sol-PBP) from the parties that were most likely out of the race before them. Less so from FF and FG who- aside from the political differences - were often trying to get a second, or even a third elected.

For example, both FG and FF got most of their transfers from themselves (54% Fg to FG, and 27% FF to FF respectively.)
    I hereby resolve to live longer just to thwart t'buggers.

I hereby resolve to live longer just to thwart t'buggers.
    Which buggers?

Buggery seems to be a prerequisite for national politics these days.

Not much change then?
    “philosophy lives from everything which happens to the philosopher and his times.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gerd Muller View Post
    Not much change then?
    Not a massive amount. The big changes will come from Labour and the smaller parties getting squeezed, which in turn affects the order of eliminations and the final results - in PR-STV this favours the bigger parties.

Which buggers?

Buggery seems to be a prerequisite for national politics these days.
    I heard on the grapevine that a certain candidate has arranged for Michael D's sexual orientation to be questioned during the campaign.

Despicable if true (and counterproductive,I would hope)

I heard on the grapevine that a certain candidate has arranged for Michael D's sexual orientation to be questioned during the campaign.

Interesting. Would it be a candidate who feels hard done by?

Interesting. Would it be a candidate who feels hard done by?
    It would be improper to imply such a base intent to any particular candidate and I couldn't possibly comment.

Nasty but this is probably going to be a dirty campaign. Though given the way that Norris was nobbled the last time, it might just be Karma.

Regards...jmcc

That independents are as high as 17% in itself speaks of the old "he fixed the potholes for us" and of a general malaise/discontentment with established parties and political life in general. On the plus side it does make for an interesting political landscape.
    Quite, with a general economic boost under way Indos don't need to promise much in money terms (they haven't any, anyway), but are useful for a bit of local fixing. IMO, the general uninterest in what politicians are doing is the norm when things are OK economically, except for "things I need done" me fein....

Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    Quite, with a general economic boost under way Indos don't need to promise much in money terms (they haven't any, anyway), but are useful for a bit of local fixing. IMO, the general uninterest in what politicians are doing is the norm when things are OK economically, except for "things I need done" me fein....
    I'd disagree with that in an Irish context. Indos did not perform particularly well during the boom years, when things were OK. They typically do well when things are not OK, or there is perceived inequality. In fairness, a lot of the indos are gene pool that have fallen out with their respective parties, and get elected on the basis that "he/she is our man".

It will be interesting to see how John Hannigan does down in Waterford, given the cardiac care fiasco and his total back down on his lynch pin electoral issue.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    It will be interesting to see how John Hannigan does down in Waterford, given the cardiac care fiasco and his total back down on his lynch pin electoral issue.
    One of the problems with predicting seat totals from polls in our system is that while the Indo vote may be at a certain level, the Indo electability factor is often a local issue, like Waterford Cardiac Unit, for instance. I suspect he'll be hammered, even if Indos poll 20% of the national vote.
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast