Thread: 'Mastergate': Spanish health minister resigns

Default 'Mastergate': Spanish health minister resigns

There's an ongoing rumbling in Spain around the dubious awarding of Masters' degrees to politicians by Madrid’s Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (URJC). It seems that a number of PP people got degrees from the URJC as 'thank yous' for services rendered; these include the former President of the Madrid regional assembly, Christina Cifuentes, and current PP President, Pablo Casado.

The latest political figure to get caught up in the scandal is just barely former PSOE Minister of Health (ministra de Sanidad) Carmen Montón, who resigned last night when it was reported that there were irregularities around a Master's degree she was awarded in 2011. There seems to be agreement that her case is less worrying that the previous ones, but unlike her PP counterparts, Montón clearly felt she had to step down for the good of the government, despite the determination of President Pedro Sanchez to hold on to her.

There's a report in English here, and one in Spanish here.
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

Default Re: 'Mastergate': Spanish health minister resigns

I've read your post a few times, and the link in English. I am a bit confused about how her having a Master's degree [even if a very iffy one] had any impact on her performing her duties as Minister for Health. The item doesn't make it clear if the degree was for some type of medical qualification. I'm left scratching my head because don't some Universities [Oxford, Cambridge, Dublin] automatically give after some years, a Masters if you receive a Batchelors of Arts from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
    I've read your post a few times, and the link in English. I am a bit confused about how her having a Master's degree [even if a very iffy one] had any impact on her performing her duties as Minister for Health. The item doesn't make it clear if the degree was for some type of medical qualification. I'm left scratching my head because don't some Universities [Oxford, Cambridge, Dublin] automatically give after some years, a Masters if you receive a Batchelors of Arts from them.
    I agree, Norm, but she's caught up in a scandal where that Madrid university has been giving entirely unearned Masters to political figures in return for services rendered.
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

Quote Originally Posted by statsman1 View Post
    I agree, Norm, but she's caught up in a scandal where that Madrid university has been giving entirely unearned Masters to political figures in return for services rendered.
    It must be a Spanish thing …

https://www.ranker.com/list/celebrit...elebrity-lists
    https://www.cam.ac.uk/about-the-univ...norary-degrees
    https://www.tcd.ie/registrar/honorar...recipients.php

Other Universities have been handing out degrees for services rendered for centuries …
    I know there's a subtle difference, but still ...