Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Florence With the Carolinas in Her Sights

Default Hurricane Florence With the Carolinas in Her Sights

A hurricane as forecast to hit the Carolinas Thursday night or Friday morning.

She's currently a Category 4 hurricane with maximum sustained winds at 130 mph and a pressure of 950mb

While the approaching storm will have immediate threats from hurricane force winds, it is expected that there will also be massive rain damage to the region, similar to what happened to Houston during Harvey.

Anyone with family or friends in the Carolinas, please encourage them to take this very seriously.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refres.../010855.shtml?

Default Re: Hurricane Florence With the Carolinas in Her Sights

The departments of public safety and transport in both Carolinas and in Virginia are already implementing contr-flow on some highways in order to get people out of harm's way.

In the bigger picture, the Atlantic basin looks pretty active.

Florence, Isaac, and Helene.

Helene is the one furthest east in the satellite picture here, and is expected to make a sharp turn to the north and could possibly bring bad weather (badder than usual at least) to Ireland and Western Europe by the end of the weekend.

There's also a bit of a thing happening in the Caribbean Sea there that could become problematic for the western Gulf of Mexico.

Slow start to this year's season, but by God, it's ramping up in the second half.

Latest advisory just out has the pressure dropping 5 mb to 945, and the resulting max sustained winds up to 140mph.

Forecast further strengthening tomorrow, possibly to 155mph, before hopefully weakening just before landfall on Friday.

Not very nice looking. Do you think it will really be that bad?
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

Looks like big one. Mrs Bags is due to fly out to NY tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by statsman1 View Post
    A few clips on the tv last night showing preparations under way. Everywhere seems to be boarded up already, and beaches, which reporter says are usually quite full at this time of year, were empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
    A few clips on the tv last night showing preparations under way. Everywhere seems to be boarded up already, and beaches, which reporter says are usually quite full at this time of year, were empty.
    I'm not sure I'd want to live in the hurricane belt.

I'm not sure I'd want to live in the hurricane belt.
    Having to batten down the hatches most years. It's all I can do is get the grass cut, without worrying if my roof been blown off my house.

I do. The winds are still forecast to be at Cat 4 for landfall, but just as was the case in Texas last year with Harvey, the rainfall from the forecasted stall will be a much bigger issue locally.

The wind comes and blows crap around, breaks things that probably needed breaking anyway, and hopefully everyone is in a strong enough structure to withstand it.

The flooding is much more difficult to prepare for. Hydraulic action and water damage is devastating.

Florence will be a game changer for the coastal and low-lying Carolinas. Truly an ante/post-diluvian event.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
    That's the area known as the Outer Banks. A string of barrier islands and peninsulas that run parallel with the coast. Lots of tourist activity out there with restaurants, bars, hotels, condos and beach houses. They need to be evacuated early because of they're exposure to the worst of the storm and since they're only connected via a few bridges to the mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Danger View Post
    I do. The winds are still forecast to be at Cat 4 for landfall, but just as was the case in Texas last year with Harvey, the rainfall from the forecasted stall will be a much bigger issue locally.

The wind comes and blows crap around, breaks things that probably needed breaking anyway, and hopefully everyone is in a strong enough structure to withstand it.

The flooding is much more difficult to prepare for. Hydraulic action and water damage is devastating.

Florence will be a game changer for the coastal and low-lying Carolinas. Truly an ante/post-diluvian event.
    Will the Trump voters expect federal aid?

Will the Trump voters expect federal aid?
    It's already there.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...se/1261229002/

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Danger View Post
    I do like a bit of double standard in action.

I do like a bit of double standard in action.
    ???

FEMA do great work in providing federal resources to affected areas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast