Thread: Camping and wild camping in Ireland.

Default Camping and wild camping in Ireland.

Anyone into camping?

I plan at some point in the future to do a long cycle tour around various parts of Ireland. I want to do this as cheap as possible by avoiding expensive hostels, hotels and bed and breakfasts.

So I plan to sleep in a tent and carry all my equipment with me. Ideally I would like to avoid official campsites and pitch my tent where I please, as far as this is practicable.

Has anyone done anything similar? Any tips on camping equipment or locations would be greatly appreciated. (I have never camped before).

I already have the bike and panniers!

Default Re: Camping and wild camping in Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Anyone into camping?

I plan at some point in the future to do a long cycle tour around various parts of Ireland. I want to do this as cheap as possible by avoiding expensive hostels, hotels and bed and breakfasts.

So I plan to sleep in a tent and carry all my equipment with me. Ideally I would like to avoid official campsites and pitch my tent where I please, as far as this is practicable.

Has anyone done anything similar? Any tips on camping equipment or locations would be greatly appreciated. (I have never camped before).

I already have the bike and panniers!
    I've just come back from some travelling, and noticed an interesting mingling in urban green spaces of tourists and young homeless people. Came across an encampment in the grassed ditch surrounding a 13th century castle.

I think if I was going to do what you're planning to do, I would start by camping in some more remote sites, and pick up tips from people who've experience in wild / off piste camping. I've done a certain amount of an indoor variety of this - finding indoor spaces to sleep in that are free. Can't tell you about them here or they might be secured in future.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre