Thread: PEW Research

Default PEW Research

Intended to do this years ago but it slipped my mind. Pew surveys on a wide variety of subjects and its findings are treated almost as gospel. Can't remember ever hearing a credible challenge

Here's their home page to do your own searching.

http://www.pewresearch.org/

These are the areas they cover.

Here are the topics from their latest email.

Trust in the military exceeds trust in other institutions in Western Europe and U.S.

Large majorities in Western Europe and the United States trust their militaries and have confidence in them to act in the public’s best interest. But on both sides of the Atlantic, there is less trust in other institutions

Are you in the American middle class? Find out with our income calculator

About half of American adults lived in middle-income households in 2016, according to a new analysis of government data. Use our updated income calculator to find out which income group you are in and see how you compare with other adults in your area and across the nation.

Americans are changing their relationship with Facebook

Around three-quarters (74%) of Facebook users say they have taken at least one of three actions in the past year: adjusting their privacy settings, taking a break from checking the platform, or deleting the app from their phone.

Many Facebook users don’t understand how the site’s news feed works

Around half of U.S. adults who use Facebook (53%) say they do not understand why certain posts but not others are included in their news feed – with 20% saying they do not understand the feed well at all. Older users are especially likely to say they do not understand the workings of the news feed

7 facts about American Catholics

The Catholic Church is larger than any other single religious institution in the United States. Despite its size and influence, the church has faced significant challenges in recent decades. One of them is religious switching: There are 6.5 former Catholics in the U.S. for every convert to the faith

U.S. adults are more religious than Western Europeans

The United States has a religious makeup that’s broadly similar to that of many Western European countries, yet American adults – both Christian and unaffiliated – are considerably more religious than Europeans by a variety of measures. For instance, 68% of U.S. Christians pray daily, compared with a median of just 18% of Christians across 15 surveyed European countries

6 facts about U.S. students

From pre-kindergarten to 12th grade, a projected 50.7 million students are returning to U.S. public school classrooms this fall. They comprise a student body that is more racially and ethnically diverse, more likely to graduate from high school and more likely to go on to college than in the past.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Default Re: PEW Research

hm .. it says here i am not in the middle

Don't know why you're surprised by that. I'd have put you as a confirmed 1% er.
    Did some research on a few states recently using IRS returns by zip. There were a good deal more returns above $200k. than I had imagined. Granted, they were joint filings, but 10-12% still surprised me.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Don't know why you're surprised by that. I'd have put you as a confirmed 1% er.
    Did some research on a few states recently using IRS returns by zip. There were a good deal more returns above $200k. than I had imagined. Granted, they were joint filings, but 10-12% still surprised me.
    oh lord . .. I can assure you I am not on solid 1% ground

and for 2017 i didnt get ANY return .. 2016 yes cos of the business but T screwed me over in 017 with his new Tax break legislation.. I am too small of a fish to swim in that lake ... which means a solution for that problem would be to get bigger?

Swedish election highlights decline of center-left parties across Western Europe

Sunday’s general election in Sweden extended two trends that are now prominent across Western Europe: the rise of right-wing populist parties and the decline of center-left parties. In several countries, center-left parties have hit record or near-record lows in their most recent legislative election results.

This is a crucial difference between US and EU immigration.

September 15, 2018
    Education levels of U.S. immigrants are on the rise

The estimated 44 million immigrants in the United States are better educated than ever before, due in part to rising levels of schooling in many of their home countries and an influx of high-skilled workers to the U.S. in recent years, especially from Asia.

What Worries People About Future Science and Tech Innovations?

Many Americans see the future crowding into the present and some of the innovations ahead unnerve them, especially as they reshape ideas about human dominion. Researchers Cary Funk, Lee Rainie and Aaron Smith round up Pew Research Center findings on Americans' views of advances in robotics, artificial intelligence and biomedical innovations for Scientific American.