Thread: 'I didn't understand' - Karen Bradley

Default 'I didn't understand' - Karen Bradley

In an interesting interview in The House, Bradley admits how little she knew about the province when she took on the Sec of State role:

“As I said earlier, I freely admit that when I started this job, I didn’t understand some of the deep-seated and deep-rooted issues that there are in Northern Ireland.

“I didn’t understand things like when elections are fought for example in Northern Ireland, people who are nationalists don’t vote for unionist parties and vice-versa. So, the parties fight for the election within their own community. Actually, the unionist parties fight the elections against each other in unionist communities and nationalists in nationalist communities. That’s a very different world from the world I came from.”
    Which is a bit terrifying, when you think about it. She's also interesting on the subject of a statute of limitations on historical crimes, saying, in effect, 'be careful what you wish for':

The proposed historical investigations unit into the killings during the Troubles has got Tory backbenchers worked up, as they fear the military or police could be targeted disproportionately. There are growing calls for a statute of limitations to prevent the prosecution of former soldiers.

Bradley wants to see a more proportionate system that would look at all the killings where there has not been a conclusion. But she says a statute of limitation is a “bad idea” as it would have to apply to all sides and could mean that prosecutions could not be carried out for terrorists behind atrocities such as the Enniskillen bomb.

Bradley is “absolutely sure” that much of the backlash is a hangover from the controversial IHAT investigations into the Iraq War. “I understand completely. I do not want to see veterans being hounded. They’re being hounded today, and I want to change that,” she adds.
    It's an odd piece, but worth a read.
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

Default Re: 'I didn't understand' - Karen Bradley

I think Karen herself is ''an odd piece.'' When faced with the prospect of a court ruling this coming Monday which would have ordered her to call an election, she suspends her powers to do so. [as of yesterday]

Quote.. Sinn Fein deputy leader Michelle O'Neill said the secretary of state only suspended her powers to call an election because she faced the prospect of a court ordering her to do so.

She added: "That is a retrograde step. Any attempt to move away from the Good Friday Agreement or towards direct rule will fail.

"Clearly, the British Government's reliance on the DUP remains a central problem and if any process around restoring the institutions is to be credible, Karen Bradley must begin prioritising the rights of citizens over Tory Party self-interest." unquote. https://www.irishnews.com/news/north...3-000-1426593/

I think there's more to her claim of being a tad naive. She and the Brit Government cant risk an election as the Tory Governments survival depends on the DUP. Meanwhile, as of November she intends to hit the wages of MLA's in two stages.
    Last edited by Trow; 07-09-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    Happiness is an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    I think Karen herself is ''an odd piece.'' When faced with the prospect of a court ruling this coming Monday which would have ordered her to call an election, she suspends her powers to do so. [as of yesterday]

Quote.. Sinn Fein deputy leader Michelle O'Neill said the secretary of state only suspended her powers to call an election because she faced the prospect of a court ordering her to do so.

She added: "That is a retrograde step. Any attempt to move away from the Good Friday Agreement or towards direct rule will fail.

"Clearly, the British Government's reliance on the DUP remains a central problem and if any process around restoring the institutions is to be credible, Karen Bradley must begin prioritising the rights of citizens over Tory Party self-interest." unquote. https://www.irishnews.com/news/north...3-000-1426593/

I think there's more to her claim of being a tad naive. As of November she intends to hit the wages of MLA's in two stages.
    I actually think she's probably right not to call an election; what would be the point?

And the salaries should have been cut immediately. Nothing like a squeeze of the pocket to focus a mind.

Quote Originally Posted by statsman1 View Post
    I actually think she's probably right not to call an election; what would be the point?

And the salaries should have been cut immediately. Nothing like a squeeze of the pocket to focus a mind.
    She's duty bound to call an election as per guidelines. Well she was until she suspended those powers yesterday.

I think were points of principal are concerned, some people cant be bought. So her monetary squeeze wont change anything.

The big question is ''Why would she not?'' [call an election] but we already know the answer to that.
    Last edited by Trow; 07-09-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Just stashing this link here Statsman1 [if you don't mind] Quote..Downing Street refused to be drawn on the criteria used by the Prime Minister to appoint ministers. unquote.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45444601

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    Just stashing this link here Statsman1 [if you don't mind] Quote..Downing Street refused to be drawn on the criteria used by the Prime Minister to appoint ministers. unquote.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45444601
    Excellent.

You tell em Geordie boy [George Hamilton, PSNI Chief] Hope you're paying attention Karen Bradley...

Quote.. He said that he is not getting the information and clarity needed.

Mr Hamilton said that some Westminster politicians view NI as "peripheral".

"There's a feeling that as regards the Troubles and the conflict, Northern Ireland is sorted and we don't need to worry about it, when actually we're working flat out 24/7 to keep a lid on it," he said.

The newspaper cites a leaked document, which has been prepared by the National Police Co-ordination Centre, which warns that the "necessity to call on military assistance is a real possibility" after Brexit. unquote.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45461120
    Last edited by Trow; 09-09-2018 at 01:54 PM.