Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Depression a Disease?

Default Re: Is Depression a Disease?

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Them's big words, and profound stuff, but what's your view on the question you asked others to opine on? And remember, whatever you say, say nothin.....
    I'm inclined to agree with Corry/ Tubridy's take as outlined in their book mentioned in the OP.

I certainly don't agree with the disease model and there's insufficient evidence to fully endorse the neurotransmitter deficiency theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerd Muller View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with Corry/ Tubridy's take as outlined in their book mentioned in the OP.

I certainly don't agree with the disease model and there's insufficient evidence to fully endorse the neurotransmitter deficiency theory.
    So, you're in the exogenous camp. Now you have to define what constitutes a stressful or traumatic experience, or does the patient get to define that?
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

I'm neither in nor out of the exogenous camp. The fact is that no one knows for sure, that's why there's a debate. Depression could be genetic as other disorders appear to be. And even then it could be nurture rather than nature. The science just isn't up to it yet, imv.

For instance, we know that an average sized human (10st) should have 4g of glucose present in their blood at all times. We have no similar measure for Dopamine, Serotonin, Oxytocin, and Endorphins. So whereas we can develop diabetes treatments with a certain amount of empirical accuracy the same is no t true od SSRIs or MAOIs.

In any event, the medicalisation of the problems of living is probably neither helpful nor particularly human.

I'm neither in nor out of the exogenous camp. The fact is that no one knows for sure, that's why there's a debate. Depression could be genetic as other disorders appear to be. And even then it could be nurture rather than nature. The science just isn't up to it yet, imv.

For instance, we know that an average sized human (10st) should have 4g of glucose present in their blood at all times. We have no similar measure for Dopamine, Serotonin, Oxytocin, and Endorphins. So whereas we can develop diabetes treatments with a certain amount of empirical accuracy the same is no t true od SSRIs or MAOIs.

In any event, the medicalisation of the problems of living is probably neither helpful nor particularly human.
    And armed with that knowledge, you decided to ask a bunch of keyboard jockeys...............
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Discussion site innit?

I find it interesting.

Discussion site innit?
    Oh! You've moved from hi-falutin to colloquial language. It's a discussion site that tries to observe truth in labelling.......

Quote Originally Posted by milipod View Post
    I find it interesting.
    That's helpful.

your comments ain't.

Quote Originally Posted by milipod View Post
    your comments ain't.
    After 10 posts you're required to give more than five word comments..

Negative Elvis.

Oh! You've moved from hi-falutin to colloquial language. It's a discussion site that tries to observe truth in labelling.......
    I'm not really sure what your issue is but sure anyhow god bless ya son.

I'm not really sure what your issue is but sure anyhow god bless ya son.
    I find it highly offensive to suggest or imply that I have only one issue.
    Have you figured out yet whether the patients or doctors should define what is a stressful or traumatic event?

I find it highly offensive to suggest or imply that I have only one issue.
    Have you figured out yet whether the patients or doctors should define what is a stressful or traumatic event?
    I certainly wouldn't wish to appear offensive. I would have thought the person rather than the doctor or psychologist determines whether he or she has been traumatised. A lot depends on individual resilience, experience, attachment issues and so forth.

I certainly wouldn't wish to appear offensive. I would have thought the person rather than the doctor or psychologist determines whether he or she has been traumatised. A lot depends on individual resilience, experience, attachment issues and so forth.
    So what about people who don't claim to have had a stressful or traumatic experience? You can't even label those effers with PTSD.
    The first two of your three links in the OP are not working.
    You falsely describe the buke as "new" yet the IT article about it is from 2005. On Amazon the publication date is 2001.
    What kind of spoofer are you? Do you have an interest, financial or otherwise, in promoting sales of the buke?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast