Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Depression a Disease?

Default Is Depression a Disease?

Is Depression a Disease?
    The American Psychiatric Association certainly thinks so:

What Is Depression?
    Depression (major depressive disorder) is a common and serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, the way you think and how you act.
    https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-...-is-depression

Drug manufacturers also, for instance, see this from the manufacturers of a commonly prescribed SSRI:

Escitalopram belongs to a group of antidepressants called selective
    serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). These medicines act on the
    serotonin-system in the brain by increasing the serotonin level. Disturbances
    in the serotonin-system are considered an important factor in
    the development of depression and related diseases
    https://www.hpra.ie/img/uploaded/swe...ved.151216.pdf

Some authorities prefer to call it an emotion, an imbalance or a disorder:

The research, however, shows that these are complex disorders that usually have no single cause and therefore also have no single treatment.

Understanding this complexity before you seek treatment will help you when your psychiatrist wants to try a number of different medications to see which one works best for you, or when the doctor recommends psychotherapy in addition to medication for treatment. This is to help you feel better, sooner, reducing your time in pain or confusion
    The late Doctors Michael Corry and Áine Tubridy felt depression is more suited to an emotional rather than a disease perspective., in their now 13 y.o book:

'Depression is an emotion, just like fear, anger or love. It is the imprint felt after a stressful or traumatic experience. Depression is natural. It is not a disease process reflecting a change in brain chemistry, disconnected from individuality, race, colour, creed, upbringing, belief system, environment, relationships, socio-economic factors, life events and coping skills."

This definition of depression taken from the Depression Dialogues website, set up by psychiatrist Dr. Michael Corry and psychotherapist Dr. Aine Tubridy may be liberating and even empowering for some sufferers of depression who previously perceived their illness to be a brain chemistry disorder, the cure of which was beyond their control.

Defining depression as a "legitimate emotional response to life's difficulties" rather than a biochemical disorder is the central thesis of Corry and Tubridy's new book, Depression - an Emotion not a Disease (Mercier Press, €14.99).
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...otion-1.515618

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Is Depression a Disease?

"If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

It sure is complicated, but to my mind much depression is not due to external environmental factors but comes firmly from some biochemical abnormalities in the individual.

While some people can be snapped out of their depression with therapy or improved personal circumstances, for others it's inbuilt into them and should be understood in the way that people get the concept that Lottery Winners return to the same level of happiness they had previously about 6 months after their big win.

You are the way you are unless you take something to alter your brain chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerd Muller View Post
    Is Depression a Disease?
    The American Psychiatric Association certainly thinks so:

What Is Depression?
    Depression (major depressive disorder) is a common and serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, the way you think and how you act.
    https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-...-is-depression

Drug manufacturers also, for instance, see this from the manufacturers of a commonly prescribed SSRI:

Escitalopram belongs to a group of antidepressants called selective
    serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). These medicines act on the
    serotonin-system in the brain by increasing the serotonin level. Disturbances
    in the serotonin-system are considered an important factor in
    the development of depression and related diseases
    https://www.hpra.ie/img/uploaded/swe...ved.151216.pdf

Some authorities prefer to call it an emotion, an imbalance or a disorder:

The research, however, shows that these are complex disorders that usually have no single cause and therefore also have no single treatment.

Understanding this complexity before you seek treatment will help you when your psychiatrist wants to try a number of different medications to see which one works best for you, or when the doctor recommends psychotherapy in addition to medication for treatment. This is to help you feel better, sooner, reducing your time in pain or confusion
    The late Doctors Michael Corry and Áine Tubridy felt depression is more suited to an emotional rather than a disease perspective., in their now 13 y.o book:

'Depression is an emotion, just like fear, anger or love. It is the imprint felt after a stressful or traumatic experience. Depression is natural. It is not a disease process reflecting a change in brain chemistry, disconnected from individuality, race, colour, creed, upbringing, belief system, environment, relationships, socio-economic factors, life events and coping skills."

This definition of depression taken from the Depression Dialogues website, set up by psychiatrist Dr. Michael Corry and psychotherapist Dr. Aine Tubridy may be liberating and even empowering for some sufferers of depression who previously perceived their illness to be a brain chemistry disorder, the cure of which was beyond their control.

Defining depression as a "legitimate emotional response to life's difficulties" rather than a biochemical disorder is the central thesis of Corry and Tubridy's new book, Depression - an Emotion not a Disease (Mercier Press, €14.99).
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...otion-1.515618

Any thoughts?
    In order to define it as a disease, you'd first need to define what's health in this context, wouldn't you say?

And the same time if you redefine it as an 'emotional response' to the world, you open up the risk of the 'snap out of it' response becoming the norm, which would not be good.

I believe it's a disease. I've had it (suffered?) on and off or forty years. Began taking medication twenty years ago. First a high dose, gradually reduced to minimal. After two years on minimal, I decided to try to go without altogether. I was fine for about a year, and then it crept back up on me. Not like I was wishing for that to happen. Now I take a moderate dose, and am reluctantly comfortable with the idea. Everyone's case/experience is different, at worst I didn't want to get out of bed, and there may be a genetic component, my father had it.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    I believe it's a disease. I've had it (suffered?) on and off or forty years. Began taking medication twenty years ago. First a high dose, gradually reduced to minimal. After two years on minimal, I decided to try to go without altogether. I was fine for about a year, and then it crept back up on me. Not like I was wishing for that to happen. Now I take a moderate dose, and am reluctantly comfortable with the idea. Everyone's case/experience is different, at worst I didn't want to get out of bed, and there may be a genetic component, my father had it.
    Fair play to you for admitting that. I share your view that it is a disease. Personally, i was diagnosed with it [Depression] myself alot of years ago only to be re-diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. [PTSD] and Type 1 Diabetes. The two don't sit well together, stress being a factor.

I refused medication being a firm believer that the mind can heal itself. Thankfully, my Doctor and personal friend is a Master of Science and lectures in Psychology.

Over the years i've learned that environment is a factor, a trigger mechanism for me. Since i approached my Doctor, i moved town, overcome alcoholism and react much different to stress situations than i used to. I've learned the emotions that can come with thoughts. That confusion.

Much of my problem was learned behaviour. I have unlearned so much. Makes for a happier me. As my signature suggests.....''Happiness is an inside job.''
    Happiness is an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    Fair play to you for admitting that. I share your view that it is a disease. Personally, i was diagnosed with it [Depression] myself alot of years ago only to be re-diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. [PTSD] and Type 1 Diabetes. The two don't sit well together, stress being a factor.

I refused medication being a firm believer that the mind can heal itself. Thankfully, my Doctor and personal friend is a Master of Science and lectures in Psychology.

Over the years i've learned that environment is a factor, a trigger mechanism for me. Since i approached my Doctor, i moved town, overcome alcoholism and react much different to stress situations than i used to. I've learned the emotions that can come with thoughts. That confusion.

Much of my problem was learned behaviour. I have unlearned so much. Makes for a happier me. As my signature suggests.....''Happiness is an inside job.''
    The trend in the US is to be open about it, on the grounds that it helps remove old stigmas. Obama"s drug advisor was alcoholic.
    I too am alcoholic, been dry for nearly seven years, and I work in the wine business......
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

The trend in the US is to be open about it, on the grounds that it helps remove old stigmas. Obama"s drug advisor was alcoholic.
    I too am alcoholic, been dry for nearly seven years, and I work in the wine business......
    What would have been you're alcohol of choice then during your ''wet'' years? Any link between your alcoholism and depression? Did both come together?

I have suffered periods of what could be described as depression.

These periods were a result of tangible situations - a long period of suffering with a debilitating back injury, another few years in a soul destroying job.

I can't imagine how scary and terrible it must be to suffer from depression with no discernible, concrete cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    What would have been you're alcohol of choice then during your ''wet'' years? Any link between your alcoholism and depression? Did both come together?
    Wine was my go to. I still have access to virtually unlimited amounts of good free wine. Beer in very hot weather. Rarely spirits. It's widely believed that depression and alcoholism are linked. I think depression kept me from quitting for several years. Was a crutch I didn't want give up. Much better for it, but it didn't solve the depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post

I can't imagine how scary and terrible it must be to suffer from depression with no discernible, concrete cause.
    A living nightmare, would'nt wish it on anyone. So sad to see in people you know. That's the thing about it too, it can affect absolutely anyone at any time and for many reasons. Some people just bottle things up until there's a real problem that can't as easily be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by statsman1 View Post
    In order to define it as a disease, you'd first need to define what's health in this context, wouldn't you say?

And the same time if you redefine it as an 'emotional response' to the world, you open up the risk of the 'snap out of it' response becoming the norm, which would not be good.
    Health is an ideal state?

Obama has openly admitted to being a drug user and occasionally heavy-ish drinker in his youth. It's all in his book. I think he is probably lucky in that he doesn't have an addictive personality.
    Last edited by pluralist; 31-08-2018 at 05:56 PM.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

In these posts one sees the dilemma.

Endogenous or Exogenous?

Something one can control or something “ hard wired”

Medications work for some not for others.

I would define being healthy as being in an ideal growth full state.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerd Muller View Post
    In these posts one sees the dilemma.

Endogenous or Exogenous?

Something one can control or something “ hard wired”

Medications work for some not for others.

I would define being healthy as being in an ideal growth full state.
    Them's big words, and profound stuff, but what's your view on the question you asked others to opine on? And remember, whatever you say, say nothin.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast