Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Take Back the City: Occupation of Vacant Buildings

Default Take Back the City: Occupation of Vacant Buildings

Havent seen this yet myself though I live the other end of Ballybough (my excuse is diabetes and work in the AM). Well done to all involved, to me such direct action now seems the only way to avoid an even worse California style nightmare of street homelessness (52,000 in LA alone and San Francisco long suffering from Silicon Valley and it's corporations pushing up prices and ongoing social cleansing)
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...89152?mode=amp

Occupiers statement and appeals for support can be found here : https://www.facebook.com/dublincentralhousingaction/

And again see California for how things can get even worse :
    https://www.dailybreeze.com/2018/07/...an-find-yours/
    San Francisco has a very similar effect to Dublin of 'silicon valley' corporations inflating rents and prices of course . Tent encapments have been 'cleansed' to keep the new upper middle class corporate workers to rich inhabitants happy
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...s-12948301.php
    Last edited by Saoirse go Deo; 18-09-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Default Re: Summerhill Occupation (NE Inner City)

I agree, fair play to them. There's another thread here about Connolly youths occupations in Cork.

shower of robbin ***** in fairness.... the lad that owns that place is entitle to kick the ******** off them in my book!!!!! or if the fire brigade says its a risk mebbe a match could sort the ******* out and he could sue them for destroyin it as well....

Quote Originally Posted by dedogs View Post
    shower of robbin ***** in fairness.... the lad that owns that place is entitle to kick the ******** off them in my book!!!!! or if the fire brigade says its a risk mebbe a match could sort the ******* out and he could sue them for destroyin it as well....
    Allegedly the owner has previously flouted the law by cramming dozens and dozens of people into the place in what was little more than the worst tenement of times past. He then illegally evicted them and has left the building vacant intending, when the price is right, turning it into offices.

But that's ok? Cowardly to hide behind the 'law' now.

Personally I hope he turns up and attempt to beat the protesters up, let see where that gets him

I cannot commend direct action like this more. In the long history of humanity private property is a relatively new concept. Regardless, it's not as if they kicked the owner out of the property, I'm sure he is tucked up nicely in one of his, probably numerous, properties.

I listened to someone from the Renter's Alliance on RTE, making the case for the constitution's regard for 'the common good' over-riding private property rights. There are all kinds of precedents for it - e.g. the laws on putting sewerage across land.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Allegedly the owner has previously flouted the law by cramming dozens and dozens of people into the place in what was little more than the worst tenement of times past. He then illegally evicted them and has left the building vacant intending, when the price is right, turning it into offices.

But that's ok? Cowardly to hide behind the 'law' now.

Personally I hope he turns up and attempt to beat the protesters up, let see where that gets him

I cannot commend direct action like this more. In the long history of humanity private property is a relatively new concept. Regardless, it's not as if they kicked the owner out of the property, I'm sure he is tucked up nicely in one of his, probably numerous, properties.
    the right way to do it mate is pay a few eastern europeans to hand out the slaps and make sure youre in a crowded pub when theyre doin it sos you have an alibi.... 1 thing the shinners got right in the north was any lads tried that sort of ***** were walkin with a stick after!!!!
    Last edited by dedogs; 09-08-2018 at 04:15 PM.

the right way to do it mate is pay a few eastern europeans to hand out the slaps and make sure youre in a crowded pub when theyre doin it sos you have an alibi.... 1 thing the shinners got right in the north was any lads tried that sort of ***** were walkin with a stick after!!!!
    Not just in the north, there were working class districts in Dublin where allegedly the Provies put manners on people. I don't approve of that, but given that the establishment was failing to deal with the vulture drug dealing scumbags that preyed on people in these communities, I'm not going to condemn it.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Gathering gangs to beat up left wing protestors, I wonder where that journey will end...

No doubt you'd have condemned "shinners" also when they and civil rights activists occupied housing in the north which was not allocated to Catholics out of discrimination.

Gathering gangs to beat up left wing protestors, I wonder where that journey will end...

No doubt you'd have condemned "shinners" also when they and civil rights activists occupied housing in the north which was not allocated to Catholics out of discrimination.
    sorry now mate but protesters my ****!!! if you want to protest somethin get your sigh and go to the dail and abuse the politicians dont break into some lads house and do him out of it.... if they dont want a few slaps they should stay in their own place!!!!

sorry now mate but protesters my ****!!! if you want to protest somethin get your sigh and go to the dail and abuse the politicians dont break into some lads house and do him out of it.... if they dont want a few slaps they should stay in their own place!!!!
    Some of them don't have their own places. That's the point you seem to be missing.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Some of them don't have their own places. That's the point you seem to be missing.
    mebbe if they were out workin not breakin into someone elses house and sittin on their holes in it theyd be able to get their own place mate....

mebbe if they were out workin not breakin into someone elses house and sittin on their holes in it theyd be able to get their own place mate....
    You're on another planet. Loads of people working who cannot afford accommodation, particularly in Dublin.

Can barely afford it myself and am dreading the landlord upping the rent or trying to pull a fast one.

You're on another planet. Loads of people working who cannot afford accommodation, particularly in Dublin.

Can barely afford it myself and am dreading the landlord upping the rent or trying to pull a fast one.
    in fairness its hard on workin people if ***** that never worked a day in their life are startin out with E 1900 from the government for rent but anyone sittin on his hole in a house he broke into isnt lookin to earn his own livin!!!!

Owner got an injunction and protesters have surrendered the building.

Protesters have moved on and occupied another building

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast