Thread: Film Avatar and Pantheism

Default Film Avatar and Pantheism

The Vatican criticized the Avatar for the pantheistic universe.
    Tomorrow I'll look it up. Who watched this movie?

Default Re: Film Avatar and Pantheism

Hi and welcome Interaktive.

Didn't see the film and had to look up "pantheistic". Here's what I found.

Pantheism is the belief that reality is identical with divinity, or that all-things compose an all-encompassing, immanent god. Pantheist belief does not recognize a distinct personal anthropomorphic god and instead characterizes a broad range of doctrines differing in forms of relationships between reality and divinity.

Pantheism was popularized in Western culture as a theology and philosophy based on the work of the 17th-century philosopher Baruch Spinoza,particularly his book Ethics, published in 1677. The term "pantheism" was coined by mathematician Joseph Raphson in 1697 and has since been used to describe the beliefs of a variety of people and organizations.
    From Wikipedia.

Seems it is very popular in Hollywood and some pantheistic themed films are, Dancing with wolves, The Lion king and Pocahontas.

Here is a very good review of the film from Ross Douthat writing in the New York Times.

From that review:

It’s fitting that James Cameron’s “Avatar” arrived in theaters at Christmastime. Like the holiday season itself, the science fiction epic is a crass embodiment of capitalistic excess wrapped around a deeply felt religious message. It’s at once the blockbuster to end all blockbusters, and the Gospel According to James.

I suppose it is no surprise that the Vatican, and I bet other monotheist religions, would be hostile to Pantheism.

I did not find where the Vatican came out against it but here is one Christian perspective on the film (which he is not impressed with) and subject. It is actually well balanced giving positives about Pantheism while ending up, as you would expect, being unequivocally in support of the Christian religion.

http://aboundingjoy.com/blog/avatar-and-pantheism/

Well worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post
    Hi and welcome Interaktive.

Didn't see the film and had to look up "pantheistic". Here's what I found.

From Wikipedia.

Seems it is very popular in Hollywood and some pantheistic themed films are, Dancing with wolves, The Lion king and Pocahontas.

Here is a very good review of the film from Ross Douthat writing in the New York Times.

From that review:

I suppose it is no surprise that the Vatican, and I bet other monotheist religions, would be hostile to Pantheism.

I did not find where the Vatican came out against it but here is one Christian perspective on the film (which he is not impressed with) and subject. It is actually well balanced giving positives about Pantheism while ending up, as you would expect, being unequivocally in support of the Christian religion.

http://aboundingjoy.com/blog/avatar-and-pantheism/

Well worth a read.
    In this film, nature and wood are worshiped, and animals can not be killed there.

After Spinoza described the pantheistic God, the deist philosophers became pantheists.
    Theistic evolutionism, which the Catholic and Lutheran Churches are allowed to believe, can be formulated as deism.
    The Trinity created the world, the Big Bang occurred, the universe began to expand, the cosmic matter was formed into the planet Earth, the first living cell that evolved into a rational man was born in the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Interaktive View Post
    In this film, nature and wood are worshiped, and animals can not be killed there.

After Spinoza described the pantheistic God, the deist philosophers became pantheists.
    Theistic evolutionism, which the Catholic and Lutheran Churches are allowed to believe, can be formulated as deism.
    The Trinity created the world, the Big Bang occurred, the universe began to expand, the cosmic matter was formed into the planet Earth, the first living cell that evolved into a rational man was born in the ocean.
    Baruch Spinoza (1632-1677) started out as an Orthodox Jew in Amsterdam but ended up being driven out of the community and having to flee to the Hague. He had very original ideas that did not fit into any religion at his time, and maybe in our time.
    Here is a great, brief article about him.

Am I right in thinking you hold a very definite and thought through set of beliefs?
    Last edited by eamo; 17-07-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post
    Baruch Spinoza (1632-1677) started out as an Orthodox Jew in Amsterdam but ended up being driven out of the community and having to flee to the Hague. He had very original ideas that did not fit into any religion at his time, and maybe in our time.
    Here is a great, brief article about him.

Am I right in thinking you hold a very definite and thought through set of beliefs?
    I am an unbeliever

Is religion a humanitarian science?
    Do you consider the Bible as a book on Christian humanities?
    Philosopher Losev says that the myth is not a fantastic invention

"After Spinoza described the pantheistic God, the deist philosophers became pantheists."

That is not so. Many of the most prominent deist writers such as Paine and Rousseau wrote well after Spinoza's time.

Deism is a viable philosophy with a lot of contemporary supporters. One of many examples is www.deism.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richardbouvet View Post
    "After Spinoza described the pantheistic God, the deist philosophers became pantheists."

That is not so. Many of the most prominent deist writers such as Paine and Rousseau wrote well after Spinoza's time.

Deism is a viable philosophy with a lot of contemporary supporters. One of many examples is www.deism.com
    I am a Lutheran because the Lutheran Church protects human rights most of all. Lutheran theology and jurisprudence are the humanities. I'm a lawyer and a believer.

The Age of Enlightenment and Postmodernism

In the era of enlightenment, deism, atheism, science and technology developed. In the post-modern era, globalization is developing.
    I am for global English, so that everyone knows it. You are for? Justify.
    In the benefit of NTP, no one doubts. There are doubts in deism and atheism. Are you for a scientific worldview or do you believe in the Creator? Justify.
    I'm a deist. I believe in biological evolution and believe in the Creator.