Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Occupied Territories Bill

Default Maidir Le: Re: Maidir Le: Re: Maidir Le: Re: The Occupied Territories Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    You know what I meant... you said you were not a defender, and then went on to try and defend.

Happily, your position is very much a minority one in Ireland.
    I think you're conflating two distinct things. I drew a distinction between the militarily controlled "Occupied Territories" and the civilian controlled "Jewish Settlements" within the occupied territories. I support the former, but not the latter, that's why I expressly stated I was not a defender of the settlements.

The occupied territories after the six day war in 1967, included, Southern Lebanon, Golan Heights (Syria), Sinai, Gaza (Egypt), West Bank (Jordan), and East Jerusalem (Palestinian).
    Lebanon, Sinai, and Gaza have since been handed back.

All of the above named counties attacked Israel in concert, and Israel repelled them, and seized their territories in six days.

For example, this bill might in some theoretical way help the people of the West Bank, although I'm very doubtful, but will do a big fat zero for the people of Gaza, (the most people in the worst condition), since it's no longer an "occupied territory"

As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Default Re: Maidir Le: Re: Maidir Le: Re: Maidir Le: Re: The Occupied Territories Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    I think you're conflating two distinct things. I drew a distinction between the militarily controlled "Occupied Territories" and the civilian controlled "Jewish Settlements" within the occupied territories. I support the former, but not the latter, that's why I expressly stated I was not a defender of the settlements.

The occupied territories after the six day war in 1967, included, Southern Lebanon, Golan Heights (Syria), Sinai, Gaza (Egypt), West Bank (Jordan), and East Jerusalem (Palestinian).
    Lebanon, Sinai, and Gaza have since been handed back.

All of the above named counties attacked Israel in concert, and Israel repelled them, and seized their territories in six days.

For example, this bill might in some theoretical way help the people of the West Bank, although I'm very doubtful, but will do a big fat zero for the people of Gaza, (the most people in the worst condition), since it's no longer an "occupied territory"

Well, obviously I disagree. As does most of the civilised world who condemn the occupation of the occupied territories.

You say this will not aid Palestinians, but excuse me when I doubt your sincirity. I will take the word of Palestinians when they nigh on universally support this bill.

What is your opinion on the recently passed Jewish Nation State law?

Default Maidir Le: Re: Maidir Le: Re: Maidir Le: Re: Maidir Le: Re: The Occupied Territories Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Well, obviously I disagree. As does most of the civilised world who condemn the occupation of the occupied territories.

You say this will not aid Palestinians, but excuse me when I doubt your sincirity. I will take the word of Palestinians when they nigh on universally support this bill.

What is your opinion on the recently passed Jewish Nation State law?
    You're conflating again, this time Palestinians and Gaza. I did not say it would not help the Palestinians, I said it would not help the people of Gaza (who are Palestinian), but there are other Palestinians in the West Bank, who I acknowledged might theoretically (but I doubt practically) benefit from the bill.

The reason I support the occupied territories policy, is because of the context in which it emerged.

The full extent of the holocaust, 66% of Jewish population of Europe exterminated became known in 1945.

The UN adopted a resolution recommending the formation of a "Jewish State" in 1947, which the Arabs immediately rejected. Israel declared Independence in 1948.

19 years later, just 22 years after the holocaust, the four countries that border Israel, jointly attacked it and paid the price of creating the occupied territories, about 50% of which Israel has since handed back.

I don't like the idea of a Jewish State, any more than a Muslim State, and we have plenty of those. It's 70 years since the UN recommended the formation of a Jewish state.

Fundamentalist Jews ***** me out, but not as much as fundamentalist Muslims. At least the Jews don't go around terrorizing people.

I fail to understand why hundreds of millions of people are not content to let the 6M Jews live in peace.

As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12