Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

Default Re: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

I would ask posters to please try and stick to this important topic

I voted for President Higgins last time - will do so again. A giant compared to the wannabee dragons.

Turns out I'll be out of the country when the vote is on, I'll look for a postal ballot.
    “philosophy lives from everything which happens to the philosopher and his times.”

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    Glad to see you agree that name-calling is trolling. Feel free to apologise to all the posters who you have abused since the 2016 US election.

Campaigns to ban people are just petty, I agree, but it doesn't do to lecture people on what constitutes pettiness when your own form isn't the best.

People should be able to make a point on a debate forum in a clear and articulate manner. You have a lot of time to think about what you write. I do hope the Irish Presidential thread will continue being a mix of news and debate rather than turn into a trolling and spamming contest.
    BoysOboyz aren't you the sly one? You haven't posted here for weeks, then gunnin for me, you dip in with this, and dip right back out again. The bullet grazed my arm.
    Tell you what, I know what you're talking about. I recall being frustrated by your intransigence, but don't remember the context/thread etc. Sam Lord deleted my posts, so I can't search for them. If you dig out your posts I'll take a look, and if I feel I overreacted I'll apologize, and if not I won't
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    BoysOboyz aren't you the sly one? You haven't posted here for weeks, then gunnin for me, you dip in with this, and dip right back out again. The bullet grazed my arm.
    Tell you what, I know what you're talking about. I recall being frustrated by your intransigence, but don't remember the context/thread etc. Sam Lord deleted my posts, so I can't search for them. If you dig out your posts I'll take a look, and if I feel I overreacted I'll apologize, and if not I won't
    A specific w word was used on your part-which tbh I find ironic in retrospect given your disdain for the imbecilic terms used by Trump anytime someone disagrees with him. What constitutes pettiness in that context when you told someone else off for trolling? I'd like to think we don't care about what was written in the past, but people should not snap at others when they haven't got the best posting record themselves.

Now, why would anyone not vote for Higgins, given the list of non-alternatives so far? Can anyone actually point to a better candidate, irrespective of what RTE did or did not do(and nothing McGuinness stated was wrong btw, despite the fake tweet from someone different which Pat Kenny rightly took the fall for-Sean Gallagher admitted he was a bagman, and we found out purely by accident).

Now, why would anyone not vote for Higgins, given the list of non-alternatives so far? Can anyone actually point to a better candidate, irrespective of what RTE did or did not do(and nothing McGuinness stated was wrong btw, despite the fake tweet from someone different which Pat Kenny rightly took the fall for-Sean Gallagher admitted he was a bagman, and we found out purely by accident).
    Kenny didn't take the fall. It was a few Frontline/PK show staffers who didn't have their contracts renewed. Kenny had reached retirment age and wanted to extend his contract. RTE didn't want to. Kenny went to Communicorp. The audience, as with most radio audiences, didn't change channels. The whole "stab in the back" thing is going to be a very powerful dynamic in this election though Gallagher would be best not to use it himself. The Sunday Independent had a story about one RTE whistleblower that has provided a 4,000 word statement claiming that the RTE promotion of Higgins at the expense of other candidates when far beyond the Frontline show and has submitted RTE e-mails, copies of internal RTE reports and minutes of meetings to members of the Oireachtas. One TD has forwarded the material to the Minister for Communications to decide whether there should be an investigation. This story is probably going to be dripfed over the next few weeks. There have also been rumblings about the expenses for the Aras under Higgins and there's a PAC meeting coming up where an FFer said that it would be a topic. It would seem that the knives are being sharpened for Higgins. The decision of Micheal Martin to be the best little FGer in Fianna Fail and go along with FG's "My Little Crony" strategy has been openly questioned in FF and the whole C&S agreement is in question along with Martin's position of as leader of FF. The one thing that FFers and FGers seem to dread is that this becomes a battle between Gallagher and Ni Riada/SF. This could very well happen if Higgins doesn't get a sufficiently high enough number of votes to survive the early eliminations in the vote count. This isn't 2011 and Labour has been demolished at a national (7 seats) and local level (51 seats). The "My Little Crony" strategy which was to ensure a corrupt coronation of Higgins to allow FF and FG save money on election expenses has fallen apart. Gallagher, whether people like it or not, will be seen as a proxy FF candidate. Most of the his votes on the councils seem to have come from FFers. Duffy may similarly be the proxy FG candidate. The theory from Gallagher's campaign quoted by the Examiner (I think) was that a diverse set of candidates would allow Higgins' vote to be reduced. This isn't a bad theory because, as a I said earlier, this isn't 2011 and Higgins/Labour is almost completely dependent on the FF/FG vote to be elected. With Gallagher and Duffy taking away that vote, Higgins would need the SF vote. But SF has its own candidate and it is polling at multiples of Labour's 3% in the opinion polls and has enough TDs to nominate its candidate. If Duffy is an early elimination, some of those votes will go to Gallagher rather than Higgins. But with an early Higgins elimination, the possibility that his votes could go to SF would exist. The big problem for Higgins is that there is no strong Labour vote as there was in 2011. The floating vote that got Labour 37 seats in the Dail has gone and drifted to SF and FF and FG. Each of those parties with their own candidate will take votes. But more importantly, the grassroots vote getting machines of FF and FG will not be supporting Higgins. The worst case scenario for Higgins is that with declining support, the mid campaign polls will show his support drifting towards 15%. If that happens, a hitherto undetected medical condition may have him pulling out of the race. The best case scenario is that he will have to fight a campaign where the media will not be on his side as they were in 2011. The pledge to do only one term is going to be used to show how, like other Labour politicians, he's not trustworthy. This isn't going to be a reapeat of 2011's campaign.

Regards...jmcc

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    Kenny didn't take the fall. It was a few Frontline/PK show staffers who didn't have their contracts renewed. Kenny had reached retirment age and wanted to extend his contract. RTE didn't want to. Kenny went to Communicorp. The audience, as with most radio audiences, didn't change channels. The whole "stab in the back" thing is going to be a very powerful dynamic in this election though Gallagher would be best not to use it himself. The Sunday Independent had a story about one RTE whistleblower that has provided a 4,000 word statement claiming that the RTE promotion of Higgins at the expense of other candidates when far beyond the Frontline show and has submitted RTE e-mails, copies of internal RTE reports and minutes of meetings to members of the Oireachtas. One TD has forwarded the material to the Minister for Communications to decide whether there should be an investigation. This story is probably going to be dripfed over the next few weeks. There have also been rumblings about the expenses for the Aras under Higgins and there's a PAC meeting coming up where an FFer said that it would be a topic. It would seem that the knives are being sharpened for Higgins. The decision of Micheal Martin to be the best little FGer in Fianna Fail and go along with FG's "My Little Crony" strategy has been openly questioned in FF and the whole C&S agreement is in question along with Martin's position of as leader of FF. The one thing that FFers and FGers seem to dread is that this becomes a battle between Gallagher and Ni Riada/SF. This could very well happen if Higgins doesn't get a sufficiently high enough number of votes to survive the early eliminations in the vote count. This isn't 2011 and Labour has been demolished at a national (7 seats) and local level (51 seats). The "My Little Crony" strategy which was to ensure a corrupt coronation of Higgins to allow FF and FG save money on election expenses has fallen apart. Gallagher, whether people like it or not, will be seen as a proxy FF candidate. Most of the his votes on the councils seem to have come from FFers. Duffy may similarly be the proxy FG candidate. The theory from Gallagher's campaign quoted by the Examiner (I think) was that a diverse set of candidates would allow Higgins' vote to be reduced. This isn't a bad theory because, as a I said earlier, this isn't 2011 and Higgins/Labour is almost completely dependent on the FF/FG vote to be elected. With Gallagher and Duffy taking away that vote, Higgins would need the SF vote. But SF has its own candidate and it is polling at multiples of Labour's 3% in the opinion polls and has enough TDs to nominate its candidate. If Duffy is an early elimination, some of those votes will go to Gallagher rather than Higgins. But with an early Higgins elimination, the possibility that his votes could go to SF would exist. The big problem for Higgins is that there is no strong Labour vote as there was in 2011. The floating vote that got Labour 37 seats in the Dail has gone and drifted to SF and FF and FG. Each of those parties with their own candidate will take votes. But more importantly, the grassroots vote getting machines of FF and FG will not be supporting Higgins. The worst case scenario for Higgins is that with declining support, the mid campaign polls will show his support drifting towards 15%. If that happens, a hitherto undetected medical condition may have him pulling out of the race. The best case scenario is that he will have to fight a campaign where the media will not be on his side as they were in 2011. The pledge to do only one term is going to be used to show how, like other Labour politicians, he's not trustworthy. This isn't going to be a reapeat of 2011's campaign.

Regards...jmcc
    I think this is the first time that a self-nominating President has not been returned unopposed. [Seán T. O'Kelly 1952; Patrick Hillery 1983; Mary McAleese 2004]. Although Higgins may well be indentified as Labour, he no longer is. Really, he should be judged only on his performance as President, and how he will be perceived to perform those same duties for the next seven years. To be honest, I'd prefer somebody with no party affiliations ever, to be President. And that's someone who is find in Ireland.

A specific w word was used on your part-which tbh I find ironic in retrospect given your disdain for the imbecilic terms used by Trump anytime someone disagrees with him. What constitutes pettiness in that context when you told someone else off for trolling? I'd like to think we don't care about what was written in the past, but people should not snap at others when they haven't got the best posting record themselves.

I know the phrase I used, c-w. I reserve it for what I consider to be the worst offenders. I takes a lot of aggro for me to justify using it. I'll call someone an idiot much more quickly. That's why I said I'm willing to look at it again, but I need some help. My best recollection is that you were being obstinate/intransigent on some issue, and I concluded you were trolling, not something I expect from you. I consider you "serious but misguided" (damned with faint praise). Obviously this is more top of mind for you than me, so if you don't reproduce your posts, nothing will happen.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
    I think this is the first time that a self-nominating President has not been returned unopposed. [Seán T. O'Kelly 1952; Patrick Hillery 1983; Mary McAleese 2004]. Although Higgins may well be indentified as Labour, he no longer is. Really, he should be judged only on his performance as President, and how he will be perceived to perform those same duties for the next seven years. To be honest, I'd prefer somebody with no party affiliations ever, to be President. And that's someone who is find in Ireland.
    DeValera in 1966. Just made it back by 10K votes or so. That was with only two candidates running. RTE decided not to cover the campaigns. Given that it was the fiftieth anniversary of the 1916 Rising, it was amazing that it was so close but DeValera was getting a bit old at the time and was almost completely blind.

Regards...jmcc

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    DeValera in 1966. Just made it back by 10K votes or so. That was with only two candidates running. RTE decided not to cover the campaigns. Given that it was the fiftieth anniversary of the 1916 Rising, it was amazing that it was so close but DeValera was getting a bit old at the time and was almost completely blind.

Regards...jmcc
    O'Higgins did well, no doubt. Presidents of Ireland were also parishioners of the local parish. It was quite a usual event for Presidents to attend religious ceremonies there. I remember Sean T, and Dev attended on many occasions accompanied by all their army outriders. Great excitement for a child. But as you say by 1966 Dev was a bit old at the time and was almost completely blind.

Poll shows Higgins ahead by a long way.

The fence, the capital, the other bits and occasionally the foreign bits

It does, but the debate hasn't started in earnest yet. As we saw last time out - things can go awry at any time, including at the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post
    It does, but the debate hasn't started in earnest yet. As we saw last time out - things can go awry at any time, including at the last minute.
    They can. But he has to be favourite.
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

The fence, the capital, the other bits and occasionally the foreign bits

Quote Originally Posted by statsman1 View Post
    They can. But he has to be favourite.
    Oh, definitely the red-hot-stake-your-house-on-it favourite. But, Devon Loch was home and dry too.

Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post
    Oh, definitely the red-hot-stake-your-house-on-it favourite. But, Devon Loch was home and dry too.

Bookies exist because favourites almost win while punters only remember the times they didn’t.
    “Me, poor man, my library
    Was dukedom large enough.”

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast