Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 244

Thread: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,089

    Default Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

    It is still unclear whether or not there will be an election. FF and FG and Lab have all indicated they will support Higgins returning unopposed.

    RTE are carrying a report today which suggests, per Mary Lou McDonald's comments, that SF will put forth or support an alternate candidate.

    http://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018...and-president/

    It'll be interesting to see who SF pick. Adams?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    309

    Default Re: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    It is still unclear whether or not there will be an election. FF and FG and Lab have all indicated they will support Higgins returning unopposed.

    RTE are carrying a report today which suggests, per Mary Lou McDonald's comments, that SF will put forth or support an alternate candidate.

    http://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018...and-president/

    It'll be interesting to see who SF pick. Adams?
    another **** with a load of pensions lookin for another 1!!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,089

    Default Re: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

    Quote Originally Posted by dedogs View Post
    another **** with a load of pensions lookin for another 1!!!!
    Whatever one may think of Adams I don't think it's accurate to say that his career has been focused on the accumulation of personal wealth.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,923

    Default Re: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

    Are they trying to capitalise on the Mary Lou poll bounce?

    Adams is less popular than McGuinness, not sure if it serves SF well contesting it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    2,073

    Default Re: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    Are they trying to capitalise on the Mary Lou poll bounce?

    Adams is less popular than McGuinness, not sure if it serves SF well contesting it.
    One of those things that could go either way really. Tough call.

    It might work in their favour if they put up a younger dynamic non-career-politician candidate. An Alexandria Ocasia-Cortez type, perhaps. Generational shift, changing of the guard, modern pluralist Ireland, etc. Of course that would play much better if Mickey D was some curmudgeonly conservative fossil...

    If they put up some ageing party hack, Adams or anyone else, it would probably backfire terribly. Forcing a pointless election to vote between two elderly rich men generally doesn't go down well with any electorate.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    309

    Default Re: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Whatever one may think of Adams I don't think it's accurate to say that his career has been focused on the accumulation of personal wealth.
    id say he wouldnt be usin the teabag a second day all the same mate....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,089

    Default Re: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    One of those things that could go either way really. Tough call.

    It might work in their favour if they put up a younger dynamic non-career-politician candidate. An Alexandria Ocasia-Cortez type, perhaps. Generational shift, changing of the guard, modern pluralist Ireland, etc. Of course that would play much better if Mickey D was some curmudgeonly conservative fossil...

    If they put up some ageing party hack, Adams or anyone else, it would probably backfire terribly. Forcing a pointless election to vote between two elderly rich men generally doesn't go down well with any electorate.
    They may go for a youngish woman and view the contest as an opportunity to put forward the "new" Sinn Fein.

    The 2011 election was a good way to exorcise a lot of the IRA stuff so there is a prospect here to use it as a way to hammer home the generational change.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    23,883

    Default Re: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

    Higgins confirms he wants another spin. As an Independent


    The President has confirmed that he wants a second term. A statement says Michael D Higgins he will be "offering himself as an independent candidate" and that the government has been informed

    https://mobile.twitter.com/EnglishRa...10660489355264
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,089

    Default Re: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

    Sean Gallagher gearing up to run again by writing to all councils.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,980

    Default Re: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

    Oirish presidential elections are like soap operas - a distraction attempt by the establishment media.

    Always about ignoring the elephants in the room - large scale political corruption, massive immigration, child abuse, massive homelessness, dysfunctional property market, institutional failings.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Meath
    Posts
    8,549

    Default Re: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

    And yes just re-elect Higgins. SF haven't a hope and the rest of the candidates will be a mix of dumbasses, corrupt types like Gallagher or pure Gombeen careerists. Higgins is also a careerist but at least he has a functioning intellect and represents the nation well, particularly in developing countries. If having a brain and an ability to consider things in an internationalist and progressive way are now the bar, there is clearly nobody else on offer. He literally is the only choice when you look at all the other morons and chancers so there's no real point in holding a vote.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,968

    Default Re: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

    Higgins is just another lying gombeen. Whatever happened to that pledge that he'd be a one term president? Guess it was as genuine as the fake tweet that got him elected.

    It is good to see that there may be an election. Maybe the Irish people will decide.

    Regards...jmcc

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Meath
    Posts
    8,549

    Default Re: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    Higgins is just another lying gombeen. Whatever happened to that pledge that he'd be a one term president? Guess it was as genuine as the fake tweet that got him elected.

    It is good to see that there may be an election. Maybe the Irish people will decide.

    Regards...jmcc
    That was a very small promise to break in fairness when you compare it with the typical politicians.

    And he is an intelligent man with a positive worldview-and he's not corrupt. Look who the alternatives are for Christ's sake-Sean Gallagher AGAIN no doubt emboldened by his 2nd place finish last time and the half-a-million mucksavages who voted for him despite his obvious corrupt past, and Gerard Craughwell, a contrarian nobody with nothing to offer.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,968

    Default Re: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    That was a very small promise to break in fairness when you compare it with the typical politicians.
    It is a matter of honour and shows that his word is worth nothing when it comes to him keeping his snout in the trough. FF/FG have been using a "my little crony" strategy to try to prevent an election and now it looks like SF is going to be the only party to nominate a candidate. That effectively makes SF the real opposition and seriously damages FF.

    Regards...jmcc

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    641

    Default Maidir Le: Presidential Election, Higgins to return unopposed?

    1. MDH did say he would only seek one term. Should keep his word.

    2. Even without that promise his current age is a negative factor.

    3. His adulation of Castro worried me

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us